Artificial nuts VS Authentic Ivory - which is more durable?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Jun 28, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Are artificial nuts like Graph Tech's tusq and delrin more durable than fossilized ivory?

And while we're at it, which among the artificial nuts lasts longer - graphite, delrin, tusq, corian etc.?

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I like my nuts just the way they are thanks. :)

I would worry about tone over durability though. I would choose FWI or bone over Tusq every time given the choice. In fact I'm off right now to sand my new bone saddle for my Taylor, thus replacing the Tusq.

GAD

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

These aren't exactly high wear items, but either the natural bone or the synthetic material will last as long as a set of frets...at which point it's time for a new one regardless.

However, regardless of which material you choose, make sure it is slotted & shaped properly, preferably by the best tech in your area that you can possibly afford. Shaping a nut is a time consuming, labor intensive process and it only takes one or two careless passes of the file to ruin everything.

4. testing1two

Oh, I almost forgot: my nut material of choice is ivory or bone, then tusq. I try to avoid the delrin or graphite products as I feel that they adversely affect the tone of the instrument, especially acoustic instruments.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

First you're talking about your nuts, then you're off to sand your bone! I suppose you'll polish it when you're done sanding?

NO PICS, PLEASE!!!!

THIS THREAD WOULD BE WORTHLESS WITH PICS!!!

6. testing1two

I prefer to have my nuts done by a professional

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

What's her name and what does she charge?

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Fwi? ...

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Real Graphite sounds similar to Tusq it's just a lot of so called graphite nuts are just black plastic.
    Oh and Tusq wears down quite fast in the wound string slots from a lot of string changes . One of my pro customers goes through one a year.

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Tusq actually sounds better than bone to me and a lot of acoustic builders but bone is a lot more durable.

11. Structo

Structo Member

I believe true ivory is not legal to use.
    Something about protected species.
    Maybe the OP meant bone vs synthetic?
    Slippery nuts (oh my!) like graphtech, tusq and the like are good with trems as the strings slide more easily through the slots without binding.
    Bone is probably the best subjectively for tone.
    Another trick even when using bone is to use a lube on the nut slots and bridge saddles on a trem equipped guitar.
    I like Nut Sauce on my nuts! How's that?

12. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Its fossilized mammoth ivory that thier talking about, its perfectly legal since no animal is being killed. Then as far as elephant ivory goes, I guess as long as it was already here in America before the laws making importation of it illegal were put in place is perfectly legal to have and I would guess use in nuts. But given that it would be so easy for illegal ivory to be used, I personally woudn't use it.

13. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

the ivory that's being referred to is fossilized walrus ivory (fwi)... my understanding is that walrus ivory (the walrus tusk) can be obtained legally up north, and is sometimes used as is... the fossilized version is from material that's been discovered after having aged for a few thousand years...

14. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

You can learn all about bone, Fossilized Walrus Ivory (FWI) and such on Bob Colosi's excellent site. Bob is a top-notch guy. I recommend buying from him.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp

BTW, my bone is now well sanded and polished! Fit's like a glove. :)

GAD

15. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I have a graphite one. But I'm not real crazy about it. I think I'll go with bone next time. You could always go with brass.

16. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Where does Corian fit into the equation, he said rapidly ducking for cover...

I only ask because I have a Corian sink counter cutout that would probably make a enough nuts and saddles to redo a storefull of guitars.

17. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

brass has its own set of problems, needing constant lubrication and frequent maintenance to keep from grabbing strings.
    the stuff i've seen files and wears like blackboard chalk. no thanks.