Artinger Semi-Hollow build from start to finish

Giraffecaster

About three years ago I approached Matt with a unique build request. Over the years I had acquired some exotic woods and I wanted him to craft a custom design.

The woods I sent him include a 1 inch thick pernambuco board to be used for the carved top, Cuban Mahogany for the neck and back, and dark Brazilian rosewood for the fingerboard.

After trading dozens of emails, we arrived at a custom semi-hollow design with a rounded cut away a stop tail and Gibson scale.

Giraffecaster

However, during the process, with some bad financial planning on my part (went back to school), I asked Matt to put the build on hold.

Fast-forward to six months ago, my fiancé wanted to surprise me with a special engagement gift. I emailed Matt again and he was ready to go! I can't say enough thank you's to Matt for letting me pause development of the project for so long.

Here's where it left of after a two-year hiatus:

One of the elements that make this guitar so unique is the bevel flute elbow contour from Ryan Guitars. Kevin Ryan uses his patented design on acoustic guitars and I love the look.
Ryan Guitars Bevel Flute

On an electric it's probably more aesthetic than anything, but I wanted to incorporate it into the design since I was going full custom anyway. Matt was completely open to the idea, so after getting Kevin Ryan's approval, we had the green light to proceed!

Giraffecaster

Since I was going full custom I wanted the belly contour of a stratocaster. It was a last minute request for Matt but he was more than willing to give it a try. It turned out great! The next custom Brazilian option was a curly headstock overlay from his "stash" that looks absolutely stunning. Here it is before and after with the neck attached. BTW, the neck is a little different from his standard offering in that I wanted it Gibson scale and as fat as possible.

Giraffecaster

Fast forward a few months and it just got back from finish this week!

Matt made an awesome pickguard, backplate, pickup covers, knobs, and switch tip out of brw.

We skipped fingerboard inlay and instead inlayed a Pennsylvania keystone out of curly abalone I provided. I went to school in PA and that's where Matt is located, so I figure it was a nice tribute to the state. Looks awesome under the finish!

Matt used my titanium tailpiece I provided. It has custom stainless bushings, studs, strap buttons, and jack plate.

Other details include p90's from a donor 65 firebird, fossilized walrus nut, and waverly tuners.

That's about it. I should get it in a week or two and I'm super excited!

Irreverent

Silver Supporting Member
That looks silly-good!!! Wow! So many well-thought-out details. Just a stunner. Congrats!

Peace.

Zuper

Silver Supporting Member
Gorgeous. Matt is awesome and makes incredible instruments!

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
Beautiful. The soundhole design is particularly clever, don't think I've ever seen it done quite that way before. Is the bridge PRS?

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Wow what a special guitar! To have Matt use your special woods and then bring your design vision to life must feel incredible. The fluting looks gorgeous.

straightblues

Fantastic looking guitar. Best approach to f holes ever. I would love to hear that guitar. Can you post some clips?

Trending Topics