Artists who always have smoking hot backing bands

weenote

Here's one out of left field for y'all: Bilal. A Philly neo-soul guy who I thought was a studio wizard until I saw him recreate the sound of his albums live, without a computer on stage or a DJ. Multilayered harmonies and absolutely sick playing by his band. Killers, all of em.

Also: Jeff Beck (marry me, Rhonda), Tedeschi Trucks band is actually three bands in one (Susan solo, DTB, and Mike Matteson can all hold their own as rock stars), Prince, Stevie Wonder.

jbat

Jeff Beck. Saw him a few years ago at The Moore Theater in Seattle. Not only was he phenomenal, his band was off the hook. Fabulous show.

aeolian

Kenny Loggins. Who hires Tuck Andress to play background acoustic guitar parts? A buddy's cousin toured with Kenny for awhile. Said it made LA session work look like child's play. MD would constantly make up medleys of various hits, walk down the aisle of the bus handing out the charts with the admonition "Learn it, have it ready for soundcheck."

Mike Grafft

How about Pat Benetar? Between her and her husband they had some solid tunes..and I believe they are still together! Bravo!

Gclef

Jeff beck.

There is no "nobody" in his bands.

They are either well known, great musicians, or are great musicians that will soon be well known.

Tony hymas
Vine collaiuta
Jennifer batten
Tal wikenfeld
Etc.

I'm always impressed with anybody that has lined up to play guitar on a Lucinda Williams record. She may sound rough (or worse) but the guitar playing is always tasty.

I can't vouch for her touring people - not enough information.

Top Bottom