Artists who don't play their material as well as a cover band!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stevel, Feb 2, 2015.

1. stevel

stevel Member

I don't know if this has been done before.

I was just watching Planes Trains and Eric - an Eric Clapton 2014 world tour documentary.

They're doing "Pretending".

It might as well be my local cover band.

I mean, really, honestly, it's no better than what a good cover band could do. And in stepping back and taking a really realistic look at it, if you didn't know it was Eric Clapton up there it would look like a bunch of old dudes (I'm an old dude so I get to say that) just up there playing a cover.

It's like, they're doing a cover band version of their own song - but only about as good as most cover bands.

It didn't help that the mix was really bad.

But do you know what I mean?

It's not just old bands - I mean, we've always seen bands of any age and any era do live shows that are mediocre, or not up to the standard of the recording (without being creatively different for example).

But man, this is almost kind of pitiful and painful to watch.

I hate to say it, but it's like they're resting on the laurels of their much-deserved fame and just "going through the motions".

I know Clapton is God, and you know, Nathan East and all that. But guitar tone bad, singing bad, backup singers bad, mix bad...

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Maybe they didn't rehearse?

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

The stones can be dreadful.

4. stevel

stevel Member

Nice call back!

Scary thing though - what if they did... and I bet they did.

5. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Tragically hip. The singer is all weird now.

Counting Crowes: same thing.

6. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

7. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

To many music fans who start up their own cover bands, like me, and they take on the role more of a technician than an artiste.
    The artiste recorded the song at one point yet the recording is just a document of what it sounded like with that producer/engineer and they had to nail it to a marketable level. When they play it live, it is more of a document of where they are at and any artistic license is going to be compensated by the fact that the audience is enjoying their favourite musicians.
    A cover band knows that if they stray too far away from the original tune that it may not be recognizable and there is not much leeway for the audience to appreciate it.
    Just IMHO

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

The cover band aren't the original artists who did "Pretending."

It all ends right there, IMHO.

Reproducing a classic recording and actually creating the classic recording are not even in the same galaxy, creatively. Sorry.

9. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I figure a lot don't care. Zeppelin didn't care at all.

10. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I LOVE seeing cover bands with great players who do a loose interpretation of a song that (to my taste) smokes the original version. ALWAYS a good time!

11. slybird

slybird Member

This Mortal Coil was one studio band that always owned all the songs they covered. IMO they always did a better version than the original.

12. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Dude, didn't you read it already? Pros don't rehearse! :bonk

13. gigs

gigs Member

Jimi Hendrix

14. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Songs change, get better, get worse…I think its mostly the audience that considers the recorded versions the "definitive" versions of the songs.

15. brn2run56

brn2run56 Member

Usually, cover bands try to play the song just like the recording that everyone
    loves (hence the name cover band). If they pull it off everyone thinks they are great.
    The original artist usually plays the song on a given night however they feel like.
    That doesn't always go over so well.

I've seen plenty of cover bands that do material as good or better
    than the original artist. But then they didn't write it so they are making $100 bucks
    a show.

I saw Dylan in concert in the 70s and he had decided to play all of his hits singing
    the original words.... to completely different music.
    I felt robbed.

16. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

When I listen to Pretending I hear three distinct guitar parts (maybe even a fourth) and in the studio they're all played by EC. When his band plays it live, it's either just him or him and one other guy. IMHO, that song's mojo is all in the guitar. When EC must sing it live, he can't fully cover one of the parts due to focusing on the vocal. I don't care if you're Phil Palmer, Andy F-L or DBII... You're still not EC. Also... He did it then with an SLO and now plays modded tweeds that don't cover the tone. Just my two cents, but I think he should stay away from that tune live. I am an EC fan boy too.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  17. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Steel Panther is one Band that plays covers better than the originals.

18. stevel

stevel Member

Yeah I think some posters are missing my point (or subpoint as it were):

Many bands do go out and either perform their own material as well or better than the recording - or, more importantly, yes, they do bring something new and exciting to it.

But this version of Pretending was simply "going through the motions" IMHO. It was, essentially, like them running the song at soundcheck - kind of just going through it to get general balance, etc.

I'm not disappointed when I see an artist do a song exactly like the record - especially if the song is technical enough that pulling it off live is an impressive feat (either technically, artistically, or logistically, etc.). I'm also duly impressed when an artist takes a song and presents it in a well-thought-out variation (every once in a while they take a song down the wrong path IMHO) that adds another dimension to the song, or the performance of the song.

I don't mind seeing cover bands do the same thing.

I'm talking about simply going through the motions to the point where it doesn't even matter if the original artist or a cover band is doing it - at that point it's the same difference IMHO.

19. speedemon

speedemon Member

We have a very active tribute scene in Hollywood-land, and I see it a lot, esp. among the hitmaker tributes. My friends did a gig with a Stone Temple Pilots tribute, who blew away the real thing. Heck, my friends' Rob Zombie tribute blows his show away too (yep, seen the real deal plenty o times).

It should happen all the time; the tribute band is hoping to fool the audience into thinking they are listening to a CD, so they can make money playing. The real thing is more than likely on so much cocaine and alcohol that remaining standing is prob. a major achievement.

It's fun to see bands doing a really good job of a band that "players" like.