• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Arturia Black Friday alert - anyone try FX Collection or Pigments

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Silver Supporting Member
PSA, Arturia's big sale is on again, during November it looks like. Existing owners get further discounts.

I bought the Collection V during the start of the pandemic and LOVE it.

Considering FX Collection and/or Pigments. Anyone have first hand experience and thoughts? FWIW, I run Logic. Thanks.

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
I may have to check this out. The only one of their standalone effects I have experience with is the Rev PLATE-140, which I use a LOT for its simplicity and great sound.

However, I do own Pigments 2, and it ROCKS. Sound design is super fun (credit the interface), the presets are really great and usable, and you can easily get vintage and modern sounds alike. Now having it, I'd easily pay double for it.

Last edited:

kiki_90291

This is very tempting - I have Rev Plate-140 and it is a really nice verb. I sue it on most of my recordings. Not sure I really need the collection, though - it would be redundant to effects I already have and what I could really use these days is a good double-tracker (I'm probably going to get Waves Doubler).

Pigments is also amazing (I can get it for $49), but, again, not really sure I really need another synth right now . . . .

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
No desire for FX or Pigments, but can attest to the 50% off for the V-Collection. If you're a (virtual) knob tweaker, these are a delight.

Toowoombaus

Gold Supporting Member
Yes I got the V collection, Pigments, FX Collection and the Modulation collection this year.
I love the FX compressors, and the Mic pre’s they are so much better than Waves which I own too. People say that they are as good as the UA plug-ins. I’ve used them on every project I’ve mixed since I got them.
Worth every penny!
The modulation Mutron and dimension D are fun too.
I just wish they had more!

Toowoombaus

Gold Supporting Member
what I could really use these days is a good double-tracker (I'm probably going to get Waves Doubler).
I have the waves doubler and it’s decent… I spent a lot of time looking for plug-ins to fatten up vocals, pitch shift vocals without artifacts etc. and here’s a couple others you may want to consider.

Izotope has a free vocal doubler which is pretty good not a lot of controls but worth checking out and the price is right.

Melodyne 5: you can do good vocal doubling with this plug-in and so much more…
you can make a copy of your vocal track and pitch shift sections, individual words or syllables to different notes to create harmonies.
Or you can micro shift it in CENTS to create a nice double tracked vocal. I guess it goes without saying you can fix the pitch on your vocal tracks. They have a $99 version which I downloaded and used on my last project and I was very happy with the results.
If you like to tweak you can spend a lot of time on the little details or you can highlight the whole track and process it all at once and then go back in and fine-tune certain sections.

Soundtoys: Great plug-ins by the engineers that designed the eventide H 3000. I bought the whole bundle last year on the Black Friday sale for $250 and I couldn’t be happier.
You can buy the plug-ins one at a time and they have one that is on sale right now called “little altar boy“ $39.00

Although the worst thing I can say about this is sometimes it can sound a little bit “Lo Fi“ but in the context of a mix it works just fine. It allows you to double, pitch shift, change the gender, formant, convert the voice to a robot etc.
The best thing about it is when shifting a vocal higher in pitch it does not produce “chipmunk sounds” you can even go up an octave with decent results if it’s mixed back a little bit. Like I said there are a few artifacts that sound a little bit “Lo Fi“ but there’s a lot you can do with this i.e., change the formant of your doubled vocal to add a little bit of difference, I’ve really never heard anything like this it’s definitely worth checking out.

It’s amazing how far technology has come although for pitch shifting vocals there is still a long way to go, maybe because the human voice is so complex and our ears are attuned to notice things that sound slightly unnatural.

Doubling isn’t that hard to do so that’s the good news. If you find anything that you like let us know. :)

kiki_90291

I have the waves doubler and it’s decent… I spent a lot of time looking for plug-ins to fatten up vocals, pitch shift vocals without artifacts etc. and here’s a couple others you may want to consider.

Izotope has a free vocal doubler which is pretty good not a lot of controls but worth checking out and the price is right.

Melodyne 5: you can do good vocal doubling with this plug-in and so much more…
you can make a copy of your vocal track and pitch shift sections, individual words or syllables to different notes to create harmonies.
Or you can micro shift it in CENTS to create a nice double tracked vocal. I guess it goes without saying you can fix the pitch on your vocal tracks. They have a $99 version which I downloaded and used on my last project and I was very happy with the results.
If you like to tweak you can spend a lot of time on the little details or you can highlight the whole track and process it all at once and then go back in and fine-tune certain sections.

Soundtoys: Great plug-ins by the engineers that designed the eventide H 3000. I bought the whole bundle last year on the Black Friday sale for $250 and I couldn’t be happier.
You can buy the plug-ins one at a time and they have one that is on sale right now called “little altar boy“ $39.00

Although the worst thing I can say about this is sometimes it can sound a little bit “Lo Fi“ but in the context of a mix it works just fine. It allows you to double, pitch shift, change the gender, formant, convert the voice to a robot etc.
The best thing about it is when shifting a vocal higher in pitch it does not produce “chipmunk sounds” you can even go up an octave with decent results if it’s mixed back a little bit. Like I said there are a few artifacts that sound a little bit “Lo Fi“ but there’s a lot you can do with this i.e., change the formant of your doubled vocal to add a little bit of difference, I’ve really never heard anything like this it’s definitely worth checking out.

It’s amazing how far technology has come although for pitch shifting vocals there is still a long way to go, maybe because the human voice is so complex and our ears are attuned to notice things that sound slightly unnatural.

Doubling isn’t that hard to do so that’s the good news. If you find anything that you like let us know. :)
I wound up getting the Izotope Tonal Balance bundle - it includes Nectar 3, which as far as I can tell, uses Melodyne as it's back end for pitch stuff. I have Melodyne, but you have to do a lot of the tweaking in it by hand - the Nectar Pitch and Harmony components have a really nice interface that make broad tweaks much easier (and you can always pull up Melodyne separately to do the fine tweaking).

Toowoombaus

Gold Supporting Member
Oh yeah Nectar is good, I have cheapo (Elements) version.
Not sure if it’s included in Nectar but since you use izotope you can get their vocal doubler on their website.

You can use Melodyne quickly by highlighting the whole vocal track and batch processing the pitch all at once.

So it sounds like you can access Melodyne from Nectar which would be a nice feature.

If you make a copy of your vocal track leave one uncorrected, or with just a few minor tweaks and batch process the pitch on the other one in tune it makes a pretty convincing double track when you play them back both at the same time. But I’m sure you know that, four lead vocal you can definitely spend hours tweaking it it does a pretty good job but some people just don’t have the patience to do that sort of thing, although I don’t mind.

kiki_90291

Oh yeah Nectar is good, I have cheapo (Elements) version.
Not sure if it’s included in Nectar but since you use izotope you can get their vocal doubler on their website.

You can use Melodyne quickly by highlighting the whole vocal track and batch processing the pitch all at once.

So it sounds like you can access Melodyne from Nectar which would be a nice feature.

If you make a copy of your vocal track leave one uncorrected, or with just a few minor tweaks and batch process the pitch on the other one in tune it makes a pretty convincing double track when you play them back both at the same time. But I’m sure you know that, four lead vocal you can definitely spend hours tweaking it it does a pretty good job but some people just don’t have the patience to do that sort of thing, although I don’t mind.
The nice thing about the Nectar implementation is that you just add a harmony module to the track (basically, a plugin in the plugin) and you can add multiple voices and place them in the stereo mix where you want them (and it does pitch and timing variations that you can vary to preference). I'm guessing they are using Melodyne as the back end and use their UI to simplify the process. It's a really slick implementation and you don't have to add multiple tracks (though I'm guessing each voice eats up CPU just like a track would).

Patience is a big part of it - I've been hemming and hawing on getting the Izotope suite of tools because I feel like I should be learning how to do a lot of this stuff (mixing, tweaking, mastering) with the existing tools I have. But after my last project and fiddling around a little with the Izotope demos, I realized that I wind up spending a lot of time pulling the mix together, which is less time playing and writing. This stuff feels a little like cheating, but I have a day job and kids so something that shaves off a chunk of time is probably the best approach for me.

The level of sophistication of this technology truly blows my mind - I think about when I first started playing and recording music in the 80's and how far things have come . . . amazing.

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
Patience is a big part of it - I've been hemming and hawing on getting the Izotope suite of tools because I feel like I should be learning how to do a lot of this stuff (mixing, tweaking, mastering) with the existing tools I have. But after my last project and fiddling around a little with the Izotope demos, I realized that I wind up spending a lot of time pulling the mix together, which is less time playing and writing. This stuff feels a little like cheating, but I have a day job and kids so something that shaves off a chunk of time is probably the best approach for me.
This right here. Fact of the matter is, while the modern musician is expected to be multi-disciplined, there is a practical limit to how much time you can sink into learning the various aspects of music production. I'm a big advocate of just getting on with things and FINISHING projects. There will always be more to learn and progress to be made, and it's just too easy to chase tools as a substitute for making music.

Last edited:

Toowoombaus

Gold Supporting Member
Well I know nectar analyzes your track and then EQ’s and compresses things automatically so it does a pretty good pre-mix for you.
I haven’t found it all that accurate but I suppose it can save some time to get your mix “in the ballpark“.

If you end up liking what it does for you I would spend a little bit of time noticing the changes it made in taking a look at what it did in the equalization and compression department so you can learn something as opposed to just pushing the button and have the machine do everything and not being fully aware what it’s doing.
Use it as a learning tool I think that’s totally valid, and I’m glad to hear that they’ve incorporated Melodyne into their user interface in such a seamless way.
Years ago when I was learning ProTools I just got used to spending a lot of time automating everything even compression ratios and a lot of things, The trick was knowing when to stop… it could be very time consuming so any tool that speeds up the process and does a good job I am in favor of.

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
Subjective of course, but I really like the Pigments synth. I used it extensively on a track I did a few months ago and it sounds really great and has some super interesting editing potential if you want it, but most of the presets sound pretty great on their own.

My only complaint, if you can call it one, about a lot of the Arturia stuff I've used in the collections is that once you start stacking synths the bass can get super out of control, so you need to do some EQ surgery on them to nop out some of the low end. They sound great on their own but if you have lots of layers, be prepared to filter out some frequencies.

Trending Topics