Arturia PolyBrute...dang

63blazer

Isn’t there a full featured software version of this put out the last week, or at least a teaser that works seamlessly with Arturia (and most other) controllers?

My guess is that the hardware synth will come out first, sell a modest amount but generate interest, and then the software app will come out and be offered pretty cheap and make millions.

I have the full Moog Model D app and it’s not just a few patches, but something that can take months to master.

It was five bucks but then with Covid it’s free but you can have this be the only keyboard on an album and get by nicely.

I am assuming polybrute app will be gigantic if it comes out and be full featured.

Last edited:
Isn’t there a full featured software version of this put out the last week, or at least a teaser that works seamlessly with Arturia (and most other) controllers?
Arturia doesn't make hardware versions of their software, and they don't make software versions of their hardware. I don't see them breaking that pattern anytime soon.

For example, if they made a hardware version of Jup-8V, I'm sure they'd be sued immediately by Roland

63blazer

Arturia doesn't make hardware versions of their software, and they don't make software versions of their hardware. I don't see them breaking that pattern anytime soon.

For example, if they made a hardware version of Jup-8V, I'm sure they'd be sued immediately by Roland
Darn.

Oh well.

If you think about it, who would really want to buy a software version of a Microbrute or Minibrute? That's not what softsynth customers seem to be looking for. They want Omnisphere or a copy of some famous, iconic synth from the 80s or earlier. So whoever tells you that there's a software Polybrute coming needs to pay you back for wasting your time.

You could try to "roll your own" by getting an Expressive E Touche to use like the Morphee (the wood thing on the left of Polybrute). You might be able to get something to work as a ribbon controller. Put those together with some keyboard controller and a virtual analog softsynth on the computer.

Thing is, after you spend the money on the Touche, ribbon controller, keyboard, and software, then spend an unknown number of hours figuring out how to get everything to work together, you might end up wishing you just saved your pennies and bought the Polybrute in the first place.

Last edited:
Shame that the Music Radar review wasn't written by Scot Solida. The one who did write it has a history of attention to detail that is lacking, compared to someone like Scot or Jim Aiken who never seems to miss anything and writes with greater precision.

SOS's review was written by Gordon Reid, author of the iconic "synth secrets" articles. Compare his review to the Music Radar one. I'd be embarrassed if I had a leadership role at Music Radar. Reid's article is a textbook piece of journalism while the other one looks like a term paper written by an average 5th grader:

Last edited:

63blazer

Agreed.

Sometimes I save and buy the right and proper thing, but other times I get something cool even when I know it doesn’t fit my needs.

On guitars I was pining between a regular vintage tele (a lot of cash for me) and vintage one with a Bigsby (knowing these didn’t stay in tune as well as a strat nor have the sustain).

I should have got the vintage tele and the standard strat which would have covered all the songs I was recording and call it a day. I got those two.

But I also got that tele with Bigsby which didn’t perform staying in tune anywhere near as well as any strat, and the tele didn’t have the sustain of the fixed bridge tele and regular strat.

I knew the break angle of the strings on an old tele with Bigsby was terrible but I did the stupid thing and spent a lot of money on that, too! I ended up buying a boost pedal just for that lifeless sounding tele with Bigsby.

But later when I did other songs not so reliant on lead solos that needed at least moderate sustain, I learned to use that ‘68 tele with Bigsby. But I then did understand why so many players hated that particular tele.

Choosing the right gear is so key and also no giving into GAS.

Trending Topics