1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

As a versitile head, Marshall Vintage Modern or Deliverance 60?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zekmoe, May 20, 2011.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

What would you choose and why, as a hard rock and vintage rock sound, to be used in tandem with a nice AC30? The ac will handle most of the clean and cleanish sounds. Pedals available for some hi gain, but I want a mid gain rhythm amp through a 4-12. Looking for input on these two, particularly the fryette deliverance, as I'm less familiar with that one. Don't hear much of it being used in a multi amp rig. Thanks

2. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

My Deliverance 120 is the most recorded amp in my studio. Not only is it my main recording amp, but it's somewhere on almost every session I've done since I got it. Single channel with no loop, but screamingly versatile - even set for full on crunch, it cleans up with the volume knob, or even just swapping to a guitar with lower output pickups. I actually have it set so it gets totally metal with my higher output pickup-equipped guitars, and it gets a great "rough clean" with P90s or my Tele without touching a knob. Bump the volume knob down a tad, and sparkly cleans are to be had. Seriously, I've recorded probably 100+ songs with the thing and I haven't touched a knob on it in years.

I haven't run it in a multi-amp rig live (I've done so in the studio, with a Radial JD-7), but if my band played bigger places, I totally would run a wet/dry rig with my SIG X.

For something to match an AC30, tho, you might also look at the Memphis head, too.

3. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Thanks greatly. I like to hear those descriptions. I'm really not a metal guy so the wet/dry thing isn't my goal. It's more the rhythm distortion, pushed lead amp I'm looking for. More like A/B and not both together. I have this with another amp but wanted a more classic 4-12 sounding amp for certain songs. I've heard great things but mostly from a hammer fast metal crowd. I'm looking for a comparison to that marshall, which I know I like. I don't need the fx loop, as I have a decent, all in front, pedalboard.

4. Kelly

Kelly Member

Played em both. Bought the Deliverance.

5. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

WHat styles of music are you using it on?

6. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest

I'm not being flippant, but I don't think it matters. The right answer to the thread question will be the Deliverance.

The VM is just an average amp (or below average, depending on the application).

The Deliverance is a better amp all around, imo.

7. Kelly

Kelly Member

Everything but newer metal. I was originally going to use it for distorted tones, and my 68 Bassman for cleans. I ended up liking the Deliverance cleans better and retired the Bassman.

8. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Member

Deliverance by a mile. The VM is easily one of the worst amps I have played over 500.00. Fryette consistently makes great amps, and always have.

9. born_hard

born_hard Member

I like the Deliverance very much, cause you can dial in different textures of overdrive/distortion. Better to try these amps, but used they go pretty cheap, so go ahead.

10. james...

james... Member

Since you already have a clean amp, the deliverance is seemingly perfect.. I love the Deliverance for mid to high gain sounds. But I found that getting the low gain stuff out of it was too much hassle for me. Depends on the player though.

Like many have said, the VM is alright but it's one of those "decent not great" amps. Some people really like it, but most people agree its just eh most of the time. I would buy a DSL before I got a VM.

Since you have an AC30 for cleans, just get the deliverance. It's a no brainer. Best gain sounds i've ever heard for modern stuff.

11. Orbis_Ignis

Orbis_Ignis Member

Both great amps, so you can't go wrong with either. I personally love the VM.

12. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

I have a D120 also. I use it with a HotPlate, but I not for attenuation, just the lineout. From the HP lineout I run into a SS amp for a W/D setup to have delay, reverb, chorus, etc.

I like to set is pretty crunchy and use a BB Preamp for leads. The amp cleans up with the guitar volume amazingly well.

It does a better Marshall sound than most modern Marshalls I've test drove.

The only draw back with the amp is that once you get a chance to play it LOUD, that tone never gets out of your head and it is a great tone....

Having said that, you won't get to play it that loud in very many places.

13. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

the fryette deliverance 120 remains my all-round hands-down favorite guitar amp i've ever played;
    yes, i use an attenuator, too, to drive my fx-rig,
    and for actual attenuation, as well.

the deliverance amps are flexible as all get-out,
    but not in a "instant multi-channel" kinda way.

dt / spltrcl