As an IR noob do I really need to buy new ones for an Axe-FX II?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Tybalt, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

So I haven't really experimented with any new IRs with my Axe-FX II. So far I've been pretty satisfied with the stock cabs - are the purchasable ones from Redwirez or Ownhammer really that much better?

2. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Only you can make that call..
    There is no better, or best. there is what suits you.

My Advice, try the free ones that cliff offers with the FW's there is a lot of choices there. you can easy tell then if you need to or not.

3. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

ah, so more a matter of more variety/sound options rather than necessarily being superior. :p

4. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

There are some free ones from OwnHammer, TAF and sprinkled about our forum as well.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I use a couple 3rd party IR's (one acoustic one for a violin patch and one that came along with a Bogner Fish patch I got a while back). However, 90% of my stuff is the stock patches. Not sure if it's due to the technology involved or improved capture methods, but the Ultrares cabs are dynamite.
    -
    Austin

6. leeislee

leeislee Member

Sorry to hijack the thread but what exactly are IR's? I've no idea what people are referring to when they're mentioned.

7. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

Short version: they are used to simulate various guitar and bass cabinets. Some devices like the Fractal allow you to load IR's yourself in addition to providing "builtin" ones.

You are good to go out of the box OR you can load different ones too.

8. leeislee

leeislee Member

Ah i get you. Thanks man

9. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

Thanks for the replies so far fellas. So if loading new IRs were definitively better than the stock IRs I'd be more inclined towards using them. However, given there seeming parity with the stock ones, I'm reticent to add even more options in the "giant well of options" that already exist so far in terms of tone manipulation in the Axe-FX II.
    I suppose the more experienced I become with the unit the more I'll experiment with new IRs.