• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

As I get older, I'm finding the only new music I can connect to anymore is tech/death metal

thrashmetl

Silver Supporting Member
I read something on here a while back about how people generally stop listening to new music at around age 33. I'm 35 now and for a while it's been hard for me to connect to new music, even bands that I've loved for ages. I didn't really like the last Queens of the Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, or Opeth albums and they're some of my very favorite bands.

To be honest, I strayed away from metal for the most part about 10-15 years ago. Recently, though, I've stumbled upon bands like Alkaloid, Hannes Grossman's solo project, A Loathing Requiem, Serpentine Dominion, and Dark Fortress, most of which are heavily influenced by the king of all Tech/death metal bands Necrophagist. I also loved the At The Gates reunion album. The 2 things that really peak my interest I find are the virtuosity and just the downright pummeling, heavy riffage. On a somewhat related note, I really liked the last Tame Impala album because of the heavy, catchy synth riffs. Maybe the only thing that does it for me anymore is riff based music.

I have a feeling I may be very alone here, but anyone else have the same experience? If so, any more recommendations?

yeky83

Age 27 here, never liked metal. I've always been rather open to all kinds of music, but never felt inclined to listen to metal because it sounded like it was coming from an angry place, and I didn't want to be angry.

But I'm finding these days some really interesting and complex metal music. Not sure what tech/death metal is exactly, since I'm still pretty new to it. So maybe what I'm saying doesn't apply to you? Haha but I'm surprised I'm beginning to explore metal music.

thrashmetl

Silver Supporting Member
Age 27 here, never liked metal. I've always been rather open to all kinds of music, but never felt inclined to listen to metal because it sounded like it was coming from an angry place, and I didn't want to be angry.

But I'm finding these days some really interesting and complex metal music. Not sure what tech/death metal is exactly, since I'm still pretty new to it. So maybe what I'm saying doesn't apply to you? Haha but I'm surprised I'm beginning to explore metal music.
You may like the newer Cynic albums then. They were one of the first to incorporate jazz into metal, then they disbanded and the core formed an indie acoustic band called Aeon Spoke. Then they got back together as Cynic a few years ago and it's now a mix of the early stuff and elements of the indie acoustic stuff.

Coldacre

I'm in the same boat. I'm 39 and find that I'm not really interested in any metal made after the mid 90's. with modern day mastering (brick walled), the way drums are recorded and the scooped guitar sounds... none of it floats my boat anymore.

there's only been 3 bands that have tickled my fancy since the millennium:

Faustcoven - a brilliant doom/black metal band who don't use modern recording techniques. they sound like they're from the late 80's / early 90's. super stuff:

Destroyer 666 - old school death/thrash band with a tonne of atmosphere and crushing riffs. main songwriter Keith is from the old school. lots of Maiden, Slayer & Destruction influence plus plenty of Bathory atmosphere:

Inverloch - a couple of guys from the early 90's band Disembowelment have reformed and made a killer doom band. this is SUCH a good album. nothing modern about it. Carcass like solo's and Immolation style riffing.

NorCal_Val

I'll be 52 in a couple of months, and the only new "rock" music that's caught my ear over the past few years is the doom/stoner/sludge stuff.(this statement does not include artists or bands whose music I was already aware of/familiar with)

stimpson

I read something on here a while back about how people generally stop listening to new music at around age 33. I'm 35 now and for a while it's been hard for me to connect to new music, even bands that I've loved for ages. I didn't really like the last Queens of the Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, or Opeth albums and they're some of my very favorite bands.

To be honest, I strayed away from metal for the most part about 10-15 years ago. Recently, though, I've stumbled upon bands like Alkaloid, Hannes Grossman's solo project, A Loathing Requiem, Serpentine Dominion, and Dark Fortress, most of which are heavily influenced by the king of all Tech/death metal bands Necrophagist. I also loved the At The Gates reunion album. The 2 things that really peak my interest I find are the virtuosity and just the downright pummeling, heavy riffage. On a somewhat related note, I really liked the last Tame Impala album because of the heavy, catchy synth riffs. Maybe the only thing that does it for me anymore is riff based music.

I have a feeling I may be very alone here, but anyone else have the same experience? If so, any more recommendations?
for me... never liked QOTSA. saw them live once and the best part was the bassist (Nick Oliveri)
NIN is not as interesting as they used to be. Opeth isn't really a death metal band anymore
i was not aware that At The Gates made a new album... i'll have to check that out (and some of these videos too)

i'm not crazy about a lot of the newer death metal bands either. i usually find myself going back to the good ole Florida style death metal (Obituary, Death, Deicide)

anyway, if you want to hear something different... check out Sam Black Church. killer riffage

T Dizz

I'm 41 and listen to heavier stuff than I ever have.

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
I'm in the same boat. I'm 39 and find that I'm not really interested in any metal made after the mid 90's. with modern day mastering (brick walled), the way drums are recorded and the scooped guitar sounds... none of it floats my boat anymore.

there's only been 3 bands that have tickled my fancy since the millennium:

Faustcoven - a brilliant doom/black metal band who don't use modern recording techniques. they sound like they're from the late 80's / early 90's. super stuff:

Destroyer 666 - old school death/thrash band with a tonne of atmosphere and crushing riffs. main songwriter Keith is from the old school. lots of Maiden, Slayer & Destruction influence plus plenty of Bathory atmosphere:

Inverloch - a couple of guys from the early 90's band Disembowelment have reformed and made a killer doom band. this is SUCH a good album. nothing modern about it. Carcass like solo's and Immolation style riffing.

Great recommendations! Destroyer666 is one of my favorite bands.

Coldacre

Great recommendations! Destroyer666 is one of my favorite bands.
there was also a new Hobbs Angel Of Death album released just a few weeks ago.... it's killer!

(the proper title of this track is "Walk my path"... dumb iTunes didn't recognize the track titles properly and the uploader ran with it!)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom