As of July 1, 2017 No More Ads Requesting PayPal Gift in the TGP Emporiums

Discussion in 'Announcements To The Membership' started by Scott Peterson, Jun 15, 2017.

1. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

And when it is not associated with TGP in any way to include their emporium, that is exactly what you have. It is incredibly short sighted and naive to think that just because you represent yourself to be an honorable seller, that should be enough for a buyer to send you money on complete faith with no possible avenue for recourse if you turned out to be less than what you presented yourself to be. The days of the handshake deal are over. This is the internet and deals are not face to face, and thinking it silly for one side to want some form of protection is absurd.

And lastly, the few of you who don't like this, seem to be complaining because you aren't getting things 100% your way. You can still do PPG deals all day long. You just can't do it in TGP's back yard or with their knowledge or approval. It's comical that you want to blame those who complain to TGP about a deal that is 100% in the sellers favor, and does nothing for the buyer in case things go south. And occasionally they do. And sometimes its just dumb luck and has nothing to do with anyone's negligence. **** happens.

Using PPG for sales is not in keeping with what it was designed for and is fraud. You can spin it any way you wish, but that doesn't change. You have choices, and using a service without paying for it as you agreed is a choice. And choices come with consequences.

stevieboy, QRSS and Broomz like this.
  2. FrankHendrix

FrankHendrix Telephile Gold Supporting Member

Haha, yes I did.

I would burn my own nipples off with my Zippo before I knowingly ripped someone off. I have been disappointed a couple of times with stuff I paid for with PPG, but I have done hundreds of transactions. Most people are essentially decent and honest, and sometimes we even communicate with each other over differences. I have a 100% rating here, on Reverb, on eBay with about 2000 unique feedbacks (plus hundreds of feedbacks that don't count because they are from repeat buyers, etc.) Paypal has burned me quite a few times as a seller on eBay, in coordination with their masters, but it's not hard to understand their recent shift to a 3.5% fee for guitars - guess they're moving to put Reverb out of business. I try to price my stuff at a fair amount, but I don't like giving it away. When a buyer expects me to drop my price, pay for the shipping and eat the fees, well, that's probably a sale that isn't going to happen. We shall see how it shakes out. If a buyer wants to see a discount, and comes up with the idea of paying with F&F and suggests it, I won't know which way to turn though.

3. FrankHendrix

That's happened to me more than once. It's not a common thing, but ... it only has to happen the once and you never forget it.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  4. FrankHendrix

Too many idiots at the post office and UPS, Fedex, etc. leave packages outside the property on the sidewalk. It's happened to me at least 8 times in the last few months. They mark it as "delivered" and it's free to first person who happens to walk by if they aren't too lazy to reach down and pick it up.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  5. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Honestly - I don't really care if someone walks away from buying something because I won't take Paypal. I wouldn't ship you a $4k car and give you a 6 month open-ended return option all at my expense. There's no difference here...

I think that most folks are fairly uninformed on PP policies and safeguards for sellers. It doesn't take long to get educated on the risks though. A quick net search will cure you of any illusions quickly. And hopefully it won't be after you get burned on a $4k piece of gear. At least around here you can look up histories, comments and get some references.

But ignoring legitimate PP concerns and moralizing about my motives as a seller is just BS.

I will however, abide by the TGP policy if I choose to do any more sales on here. PP Gift really isn't fundamentally much safer than regular PP when it comes to getting scammed buy a buyer.

I stopped selling on eBay a decade ago - at this point it's pretty much CL with cash and carry.

On the rare occasions I ship something it's usually personal check or USPS money order only unless I know you. And I always talk with everyone I deal with to make sure all questions and concerns are addressed up front. Anything seems off then I'm quite happy to just walk away. And often I end up giving stuff away.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  6. Broomz

Broomz Member

I don't understand this. What could be safer than having the cash in your pocket before you have delivered a product with no ability for the buyer to get it back whether or not they actually receive anything in return? Unless I'm missing something that seems to be literally the safest situation you could dream of. What else is there?

7. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

The short answer is that PP is all about the funding source for the money you receive. If the person funds their "gift" with a credit card - they can still dispute it with their CC company. I only take checks (and allow them to fully clear before shipping - call the bank and verify - usually takes about 5-7 days) or USPS Money orders - they can be verified, unlike all the fake cashiers checks/money orders the scammers use.

What's funny is I personally have had zero issues as a seller - but I do have close friends who have. As others have pointed out - TGP is generally a solid place and I believe most people are fundamentally honest. But I also know the stress and aggravation that a bad deal causes me - and I just don't want the headache. For little stuff - pedals, etc. I typically don't care about PP - but it's the larger stuff like amps/guitars that it's just not worth it.

Read up on PP/eBay issues - a quick Google search will quickly yield plenty of info on the risks. Decide for yourself how you want to approach things.

My $.02

skydog likes this.
  8. tonedover

tonedover Member

Thumbs up on the new policy.

As much as I love this community/forum, I always remember that is ONLY what it is. Its a message board.
    Its not my personal used gear store front.
    Its not a 3rd party flea market equivalent where you can set up a virtual booth (Reverb) to gain advantage of the traffic.
    And its not some exclusive club where only trustworthy people can enter.
    Its an internet forum, where a bunch of some-what like minded music folk can virtually message board to interact, talk, debate, laugh and sometimes trade gear, usually for $$.
    And there are rules that we have to follow if we want to participate, regardless if we love the rules or not.

"I feel" like some folks may not agree with my thoughts above. And that's ok. That's why we are all here - to talk and express ourselves. Just wanted to express myself by adding to the thread. Thanks!