ASAT Choices

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by UconnJack, Feb 17, 2006.

1. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I've played a few this week and am very impressed. Interested in the ASAT Classic or the ASAT Special (2 large MFD pickups). I haven't been able to find a Special to play and have never actually heard those large MFD pickups in action.

I've done alot of searches and am still hoping someone can explain the sound of the ASAT Special (I understand it's very subjective). Does the neck pickup sound round and clear?

Appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    UJ

2. Big Dan

Big Dan Member

The large MFD's on the Special are much hotter than the Classic's pickups. I have played both at local stores and I prefer the Special's.

If you want more detailed descriptions, head over to the G&LDP and post that question. The site is down at the moment, but it will be back shortly I'm sure.

www.guitarsbyleo.com

Dan

3. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Thanks Dan, I did spend some time hunting around that site!

4. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

5. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Thanks for that link. The article suggests those pickups are a lower output. That's contrary to what I've heard otherwise? Have they changed the pickups since 93 and upped the output? I was under the impression that these pick-ups were hotter.

6. jordanL

jordanL Member

I was never very clear on how James came to the conclusion that the Big MFD's were low output, I've found very much the opposite. I do think thye have low resistance value.

The pickups put out a strong signal, with a lot of frequency content, In some ways they remind me of Bardens, but they aren't noise free. Great for blues and classic rock. You'll likely use the tone control on those.

there have been a few different versions of the big MFD's over the years, but thay all had a pretty big sound.

7. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I really like the big MFDs on my ASAT. It's like a bigger louder Tele. They work really well with knob twirling on the guitar. In fact if I want my ASAT to sound like my Muddy Waters tele, I turn the volume knob down about 2 numbers.

It's my favorite neck pickup sound of any of my guitars. It's clear and round, plus, the bridge pickup is clear and snappy but not WAY brighter than the neck and middle position. I can get a reasonably convincing acoustic strumming tone out of the mid position by rolling back both the volume and tone controls on the guitar.

The best recorded example I can think of is the first 2 Hellecaster CDs. There's a lot of ASAT neck pickup on them. John Jorgenson and Will Ray both use ASATs with the big pickups on most of that. Jerry Donahue uses a regular tele and, although he's a monster player, I think JJ and WR both have much better tone than JD on those CDs.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I work for a firm that reps this line in the southeast and have an ASAT Classic Custom Semi-Hollow with a #1, 12" radius neck. This guitar is a blues monster! Good ol' twang from the bridge and the neck will drive your tubes into unbelievable sweetness. The neck pup is a little hotter on this model than the regular ASAT pup.

All ASAT's, except the Deluxe, I also have one of these in a semi-hollow, are standard with a 7.5" radius but for $50 you can order them with a #1, 12" radius neck. If you want a semi-hollow the price is the same for f-hole or no f-hole.

You haven't said what style of music you play but you'd do well to consider this model. Round and clear? You bet. Jazz, blues, classic rock, it's all there with this one.

Best of luck in your search,

Greg

9. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I'm a blues and roots rock guy at heart, but I play in a classic rock/pop cover band. Currently doing everything on my LesPaul. My strat doesn't see much duty with this band. I think the Special would be a good compliment.

I spent some time playing the blues boy thry a Crate 1x12 with the Tone Tubby. Man, that was a great blues combination. The neck HB was really dark and smokey, in a great way.

10. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

I opted for a Swamp Ash maple neck Classic over the basic ASAT as it seemed to have a little more 'tele' in it. It could just be the looks, but the brass saddles seemed to give it a little more spank. That saddle lock bridge on the ASAT may not be a string through body design which would also change the tone. I could never hear an output difference between the rectangular MFDs and the smaller versions in the Classic..YMMV

My Classic is perfect for hot-rodded country, more output than a typical tele. It has somewhat of a modern sound to it...also it can overdrive an amp into rock territory easier than most teles. It's less 'organic' than many teles I've played, example: I use an Alder Franken-Tele for Cropper-inspired R&B stuff, the ASAT doesn't seem to like to play there...

Its a great guitar though, none of em do everything...The Classic does country to rock and most things in between.

11. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I should mention that the saddle lock bridge on the special contributes to the sound. When everything is set and you lock it all in place with the hex screw on the side of the bridge it's as solid as rock and it has a wedge on the bottom that fits into a groove in the body. It rings for ages and I find the rim around the bridge saddles is very comfortable for resting your wrist.

12. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I managed to play one this weekend. It was a Tribute though. It wasn't as high output as I would have expected. Nice balanced outputs between neck and bridge though. Good clarity, nice tones. The Tribute neck didn't feel as nice as the Asat's.

I went back and forth between the Special and the Classic. The Classic definately had more a more vintage vibe. Could get a little twangy. The Special was brighter than I expected, in a good way.

Is there any difference in pickups between the Tribute vs. American Specials?

THanks for the input!

13. ungarn

ungarn Member

Pickups are the same on Tributes and G&L USA...but the guitars are definietly a littel different. It is hard to beat those large MFD's in the ASAT Special in my opinion, although the classic is more "vintage".

Good luck!

14. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Don't overlook the Bluesboy. I've played one as my main 'tele' guitar for about four years now. The neck h.b. gives great flexibility. Neck is a dream. Every other musician who's played it has gone away impressed. Of my guitars, it's the one I probably would never sell or trade.

15. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

The Blues Boy I played was as heavy as my Lespaul. I couldn't believe it! It was a mint clear orange color and sounded great. Not what i'm looking for though....Alister, is yours that heavy?

16. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Oh, heck no. Doesn't seem heavy at all, certainly not any heavier than my "real" Teles. It's not a semi-hollow, either. Maybe the one you played was a heavy swamp ash or something. Mine's a 2001 or so.

(Also, just to add), with my creaky knees and stiff back, I'd be the last to play a heavy guitar, though I do haul out my Reissue R7 on special occasions.

17. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

What about a Bluesboy Semihollow??

18. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

With the price of used US made ASATs in the 5-8 range depending on features, why compromise? The thing I like most about G&Ls is the way they play. Don't get me wrong, they're capable of nice tones, but the feel of the guitars is always what impresses me.

Soundwise, the tributes seem to have it. Not in the necks though. I knew the minute I picked it up. I believe they roll the edges and thats artwork, not assembly line. The neck on my Classic is flawless. (As an aside, I think they must use tinfoil for frets, if you're a bender, you'll be dressing/replacing sooner than you might expect)

19. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

You all are bad people, just so you know.

Briefly, I've been obsessed with Teles lately, and decided I needed a Thinline. Then, I happened upon the Tribute Semihollow, and thought, hrm....I've played exactly 1 G&L ASAT, and it was all I could do to walk away without buying it (and my wife, bless her, agreed that it was a pretty tempting guitar. Not enough cash, so....)

So, today, I drove up to Columbus, because I tracked down a Thinline to check out -- and I discovered there was a G&L dealer, too. I really didn't like the Thinline (a MIM 69 RI) altough the same store had a MIA Jazzmaster that was awesome. But I digress.

Next stop -- the G&L dealer. They had one of the Tribute Semihollows. Wow. What an incredible guitar ... if they hadn't been asking ~$700, I'd've walked away with it. I also played a real ASAT Classic. I thought it was ugly (trans red, gold hardware) but played very well, and just had that feeling of organic togetherness that good guitars have. The Tribute had the same thing, just not as much.

Now, fan of Jazzmasters, Teles, and P-90s that I am, I'm finding myself drawn to some of the bigger MFD equipped ASATs, and you people are not helping the GAS!

(This week's dream guitar: ASAT Semihollow with Bigsby, graphite nut & locking Schallers in blueburst with a rosewood fretboard, tortie guard, and white pickup covers. IOW, the lovely offspring of a Tele, a Jazzmaster, and a Reverend Slingshot -- my 3 favorite guitars.)

20. ungarn

ungarn Member