ASAT Classic Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Schlep, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Schlep

Schlep Member

Hi all -

Posted this on the Sm Co Luthiers area and got a few responses; I figured I might get some more feedback here, so, please chime in with your opinons on the G & L ASAT Classic. I'm looking for a bigger sounding Tele. Thanks.

FWIW - I've read all of the prior threads, just looking for some additional thoughts.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Well made guitar but IMHO the pickups in the Classic sound like utter sh*t.

If you want a "bigger sounding Tele," try the ASAT Special with the soapbar-shaped pickups. That's very possibly exactly what you're looking for, tonewise. Or, swap out a Classic's stock pickups for Duncan Tele replacements.

3. HHB

HHB Member

different strokes, I love the small MFD pickups on the Classics

Suave Eddie and Drawde like this.
  4. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

Me too. And as primarily a Gibson player, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the ASAT's small MFD's compliment burstbucker and 57 classic pickups.

Every time I would try a strat along with the Gibsons, there was ALWAYS a drop in volume and a need for re-shaping the eq. This is not the case with the ASAT.

It got me thinking about the Les Paul/Tele players of the past: THat is, many people who were LP guys, also played teles...Jimmy Page, Joe Walsh, Pete Townsend, Jeff Beck, (in certain time periods, anyway) etc.

Most guys who play strats, or have switched to strats like Beck and Clapton, pretty much only play strats... I know that this is a bit off topic, but I found it interesting...

Scott

5. jordanL

jordanL Member

Well made guitar, I like the pickups on mine. Its more of a modern hotter sound, which you're looking for.

MFD pickups aren't to everyones taste, IMHO they sound good ina band, but are harsh when used as bedroom guitars.

2 common issues with ASAT classics- easily fixed once I found out what the problem was-just a piece of double stick tape between the bridge and body. 2 the side jack on G&Ls can have issues-no problem on mine.

6. Schlep

Schlep Member

Thanks all -

MichaelK -

I'm actually looking for a somewhat bigger tele for cleans/semi-cleans. I already have 3 P90 equipped Hamers that I use for a thicker midrange.

JordanL -

I agree with your observation that *is* a difference between a stage guitar and a bedroom guitar.

If I end up hating the MFDs, there are many great after market tele pickups to choose from. I'm just thinking a G&L is a better made guitar than an American Fender.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That's why I recommended you try the soapbar MFDs, for a "bigger" Tele tone. They are NOT P-90s, not even close. The only similarity is looks.

The MFDs in the Classic do not sound Tele-like to my ears. The Special is much closer, IMO, to what I hear as a logical step "up" from traditional Tele tone (if "up" applies without necessarily being qualitative).

You should use your own ears, try a few, and see if you agree. But if you can't for some reason, then you're corrrect about swapping out the Classic's MFDs. I know that Duncans fit without any re-routing, but I believe Fralins require some cutting. Don't know about others. Try the G&L Discussion Page for more info. Look in the FAQ about the pickups, too.

8. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I have 3 G&L asat classic and some 2 telecasters, including one more Charvel TX custom, the asat have better construction. Also is a matter of luck ont he fender, you may find some incredible tonewood but is harder, seems that the G&L is more consistent but also one of my guitars have a little strange cut for the pick-up on the bridge, seems that they cut too much and is barely covered by the metal plate, still I don't mind, sound is great.

9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I got an ASAT Classic last week. I find it very easy to get the sounds I want. When I owned a mid-80's G&L Skyhawk with a bass cut control, it took me months to get the sounds I wanted.

I like the sound of the pickups, and was suprized how quiet they are. The ASAT Classic is replacing my PRS Swamp Ash Special, as my go to guitar. The 7.5" radius neck, is the only neck I've liked as well as a PRS W/F.

10. GGjaguar

GGjaguar Member

Man, I've never seen a ASAT Classic with a bridge or neck pickup that hot! All the recent bridge pu's I've measured are right around 5.7K to 5.8K. The Leo-era pickups (1990-91) are even lower than that. The neck pickups clock in at around 4.7K (recent) and 4.4K (Leo-era). The G&L MFD pickups are high output and don't require as many turns of wire as a standard alnico slug design.

GG

Ches likes this.
  11. HHB

HHB Member

aw man, I wish I had known about your gig @ The Handlebar in Greenville SC, I play there some and am just up the mountain from there

12. Schlep

Schlep Member

Hi all -

I must first say thanks for all of your replies (keep 'em coming). It's great to hear of so much enthsuiam about the ASAT Classic from owners; G & L is not the company Du Jour (sp?) and not being the puppet of mass opinion, that does not dissuede me. It's cool to have something a little different.

Secondly, I'm happy for *you* guys that really dig the ASAT Classic and have played them for several years - nothing like an investment that you actually get your moneys worth from. How many of us have sold a guitar or two once the 'new toy' effect has waned?

Additionally, it's cool that players who play fine instruments like McInturfs (I'm thinking of you HHB) and dig them still have good things to say of ASATs. Thay says a lot about G & L.

I gots to get me one, which I will do shortly. Still love my P90 Hamers, just looking for something a bit different to compliment what I already own.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Hey, Greg! Nice to see ya here. :)

Ches likes this.
  14. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

The MFD's in the ASAT Classics have a unique sound. Meaty and punchy.

If you don't like them... putting a set of more traditional tele pups into an ASAT Classic turns it into a very, very good tele!!!

Look what i did to mine:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/258633421GeLXjD
    :dude

15. Matt L

Matt L Member

You should get it!

16. slogger

slogger Member

I had a classic custom. Great sounding and playing guitar but I did replace the bridge pup with a mini HB secondary to it being microphonic and couldn’t handle any type of dirt without making ears bleed.

17. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

While not an ASAT, I think that G&L makes really great guitars. I had read that "if you're looking for a pure Strat sound, a Legacy will be close but different." I have read that the same philosophy applies to the ASAT series, as others have mentioned. Some of the pickups will get you close, but it really depends on what you're looking for in the end. The build quality is excellent. I think the electronics are very cool, and they definitely get into Fender territory (as expected from Mr. Fender).

18. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Years ago, I was playing in an active country band and went on a search for my ultimate tele. After playing what seemed like hundreds of Fenders in stores, I just couldn't get excited about any of them. I picked up a used ASAT Special semi-hollow and instantly knew I had found what I was looking for.

I have an ASAT classic, and an ASAT special. The classic is great. Its close to a traditional tele, but I find the sound stronger, clearer and more balanced. Clean, the bridge pickup will still twang but not sound harsh. With gain, it also sounds great... tight and snappy like a tele should. All the clunky parts of a 60 year old design have been improved.

SupremeDalek likes this.