1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ASAT Classic Opinions

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Schlep, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Schlep

Schlep Member

Hi all -

Please chime in with your opinons on the G & L ASAT Classic. I'm looking for a bigger sounding Tele. Thanks.

Not sure if this should be in Small Co Luthiers or Gutars in General, so I posted here.

FWIW - I've read all of the prior threads, just looking for some additional thoughts.

2. HHB

HHB Member

I foolishly sold mine, getting ready to buy another cause I just can't live w/o one! Looking at a semi hollow this go round

3. teddys

teddys Member

My BlueBurst Classic (semi-hollow) sounds great and BIG with Fralin Blues in it!!
    How big ya want it?
    Its a Tele??:dude

4. aquadog

aquadog Member

Ooooooh man, you are in for a treat. They're amazing guitars, but those semi hollows are just something special. Either way, you just cant go wrong.

5. Schlep

Schlep Member

Thanks all for your responses. I have a few P90 equipt Hamers; think a Tele-esque guitar would compliment them well.

At this juncture I'm torn between a solid ash ASAT and another with a maple top and chambered body. I was shocked the guitar was not bright as I thought it would be (I'm not a fan of maple). Anyway, this thing sounded great and looked sweet - it was black with the natural maple exposed 'binding'. The maple 'binding' had their gun oil finish/tint - way cool. Haven't seen any natural bindings that were tinted untill I saw this one. I'm sure I'll be happy with either.

6. The Cat

The Cat Guest

Hey don't forget to try the ASAT Special. Those big pick ups really add some meat. The bridge is different too but it has more sustain than the traditional also. Otherwise they are fairly similar sounding.

7. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I'm with the other dudes that say if you want a bigger sounding ASAT (Tele) go with a Semi-Hollow. Personally, I like the ASAT Classics. They are great guitars. If you have the extra funds though go for a Tom Anderson Hollow T Classic. You won't be sorry.

8. Jake

Jake Member

Love 'em a lot and have owned a bunch. IMHO the best sounding ones are the semi-hollows. I've got a brand-spanking new, undelivered ASAT Classic S (added middle pickup) that I'm searching for a buyer for. Clear orange, rosewood board, tortoise guard. If you're interested I've got a great deal for you.

9. Amitar

Amitar Member

I played a G&L ASAT Classic solid body for years. Until I got my Chapin guitars. For the price I thought it was a great guitar. I love the sound of that guitar. Mine was real heavy. A little over 9 pounds. I really liked the neck pickup a lot.

10. jgraham

jgraham Member

Bigger sounding Tele. That about sums it up.

My ASAT Classic Custom - bought new in 98

[​IMG]

I don't play much single coil stuff with my band, but this guitar is a joy to just play unplugged, or when I'm jamming some classic rock or blues. I don't think I could bring myself to sell it.

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

I love the ASAT Classic - you can always use other after-market pickups if you don't like the stock G&L, but it sounds like you might based on your description. I currently have the stock p/ups in mine, but I've used vintage-output Fralins and thought they sounded great in a slightly more traditional Tele-ish way.

12. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I still kick myself for selling my NAMM show Honeyburst ASAT Bluesboy Semihollow...man what a guitar...I miss it so much :(

13. Quinny

Quinny Member

I love my G&L ASATs!! As many have said 'big Tele' is the nail on the head. Both my ASATs (one semi-hollow 3 pick-up, the other a Classic Custom) have balls beyond belief.... biting but not overly so from the bridge, not too harsh.... and a lovely big and round tone from the neck, very deep yet clear and articulate. Check out this tune by my band:

http://www.dredgethesound.com/tunes/June05/WellLeft.mp3

The clean guitar in that one is the semi-hollow from the neck pickup, a little MXR Phase 100 on just the intro. For my money the G&L is one of the best buys out there, excellent guitars!

Q.

**EDIT** In case you hadn't already come across them, there are also lots of good G&L clips, ASAT included, over on the G&L website:

http://www.glguitars.com/audioclips/AudioClipindex.htm