ASAT deluxe vs. Anderson vs. Melancon

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jec, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jec

jec Member

Hey everybody,
    I realize this is quite subjective, but does anyone have the experience to compare these? Is it worth the extra dough to get the Anderson or Melancon? I have a LP-type guild bluesbird right now that I like, but I would really like something closer to a strat scale, probably in a tele-type shape. Thanks in advance for your comments...

jec

2. blong

blong Supporting Member

Most will probably disagree, but I would buy a used G&L tele. Read the thread titled, "Where did G&L go wrong?" on this forum. I posted there, also, regarding this matter.

I do believe other makers make very, very high quality instruments. But so does G&L for a much better price. I really dig the G&L's and I think the MFD pups are excellent. Very highly underrated guitars.

Bob

3. jec

jec Member

Thanks blong,

anybody else?

4. shadco

shadco Member

I would gladly pay extra for an Anderson if it would raise my abilty to the Level of Mark Goldenberg.

Otherwise I'll stick with the more pedestrian stuff.

5. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I agree with blong.

I have played a ton of G&Ls and the occasional Anderson. While I feel the Andersons are great, I feel the same about G&L and at the greatly reduced price, and ASAT Classic was a no brainer for me.

I have a couple of friends that have owned a bunch of different high end pieces. One stuck with the G&L Legacy and ASAT. The other kept one ASAT and one Suhr Tele style axe.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

O Crystal Ball, I can see how this will end up....

The G&L people will say, "G&L, definitely. G&Ls are so good that it's not worth paying more money."

The Anderson people will say, "Anderson, no doubt. Worth every extra cent."

The Melancon fans will say, "Melancon, for sure. You'll be glad you paid the difference."

Valuable information.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'd steer you towards the G&L, but I really don't care for the pickups they use in the ASAT Deluxe. Buy a used one and budget for a pickup swap.

Bryan

8. blong

blong Supporting Member

I think MichaelK summed up my response more succinctly than I did.

Ultimately I think G&L is high quality, much higher than they are given credit for. You need to try some of each and decide for yourself. Beware of those who tell you one is superior than the other b/c of the name on the headstock. The first time I played an Anderson tele in Austin, TX, I thought it was a joke that they were so highly regarded. I thought the thing was no better than a Peavey or my Highway One tele.

After I played several I realized some felt better than others, all had quality craftsmanship, and were good guitars. I just can't justify the price, personally, when I can get a G&L for a lower price. There are some junky used G&L's b/c of the previous owner's treatment, but a little TLC and they can be great. New ones are phenomenal, in my opinion.

Bob

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

:D

True dat.

But that said, and my being a past Anderson Owner and current Melancon owner (and never G&L owner); you have to play each to get a grasp on what makes them different and then break it down to a value judgement.

In my case, I found the guitars of my dreams with Melancon. He builds them himself, offers more options and gives it the attention you get only from the finest of craftsmen.

Anderson is an extremely high quality small shop that makes incredible guitars.

G&L is a great value; they make great guitars and on the used market they are a steal.

Of the three though, seriously, Melancon is the biggest steal on the used market you'll find. And at prices not much more than you'd pay for a G&L.

In the end, there is no substitute for experience and there is no rhyme or reason to personal taste.

10. raz

raz Member

Which is why I always keep track of what Scott's up to. He's more experienced than me. ;)

11. jec

jec Member

Speaking of used Melancons, Scott, I'd be glad to take one of your Koa beauties! Although from the sound of it, I'll be waiting for a while.

I have definitely been scoping out the used Mels. At around $1000 used, they are a great deal. However, a U.S. G&L deluxe for around $500-$600 may be hard to pass up.

The problem with the Mel's is that they are so pretty that I'll just have to stand in the corner of the stage all night so it doesn't get dinged.

Thanks for all your comments...:dude

12. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I think G&Ls are very good guitars for the money, esp used. I've owned three of them. I've also owned an Anderson, a Suhr, and a Grosh, all of which I bought used. I think they were worth the additional money, at least to me.

13. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I've owned all three as well and for the price/quality, Melancon is the hands down winner. You might be surprised when you price out a new Melancon. Call a few dealers, but I'd start with :

Magdon Music
    A-Plus guitars
    JRs music

FWIW I've owned 3 Andersons, 2 G&Ls and 3 Melancons.

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

You show me one for that price and I wouldn't pass it up either.