Asat MFD adjustment question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Lucky7, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

I just bought a new ASAT Classic Custom Semi-Hollow. What is the proper way of adjusting the neck pickup? Will turning the screws clockwise increase or decrease the volume level of the string it is under? Thanks for the help!

2. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Start by getting all the pole pieces just a bit above (1/32nd) flush with the little ferrule the sit in. Raise High E side of the neck pup to about 3/32nds from the string when its fretted at the last (22nd?) fret. These are pretty hot pups and if you get them much closer the magnets exert too much pull on the string and tone & sustain suffer. Next adjust the Low E side to taste relative to the High E. Finally raise/lower the other pole-pieces for the right string to string balance. Raising the pole-piece will increase the output of that string. Adjust them in small increments, no more than 1/2 turn at a time, and listen.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

something like this to start.

[​IMG]

(D pole the highest). then adjust the whole pickup to get equal volume from neck to bridge, and from hi E to low E. this usually means bridge close and neck, especially bass-side neck, further away.

4. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Wrong pickup;

[​IMG]

Right Pickup

5. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

Thanks guys......I'll give it a whirl tonight!

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

obviously. it was the only decent magnet stagger image i could scrounge up as an example.