Ash Body/Rosewood Fret Strat - which pickup set? CS 54' or 69' or...?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DZA, Jan 23, 2012.

1. DZA

DZA Member

Dear friends,

This is my first post. First of all, I’m sorry for my poor English writing. You see, English is not my first language…

I would like to hear your opinion about my Strat project. I’m really in doubt about which pickup set to buy.

Until now, the configuration of the strat is the following:

(1) Swamp Ash Body - 100% nitro 2-Tone Sunburst finish by Mark Jenny of MJT® Aged Guitar Finishes.

(2) Warmoth Neck – Maple/Indian Rosewood; 59’ roundneck; 9.5” radius; 22 frets; 6105 frets.

(3) All hardware made by Fender – all vintage stile.

I’m not sure about what pickup set I will buy. I want a classic strat sound, etc. But I want a pickup setup that works well with overdrive, especially on bridge position. I tried some time ago the 57/62’, but I did not like the sound of the bridge pickup.

My first choice right now is the CS 54’. But I’m also considering the CS 69’. Which one of these would do well with the Ash body/Rosewood fret strat?

Thanks!

2. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

My friend you dont want to go with 54's because they are great for clean sound but are very week and its bridge pickup sucks. If you want traditional vintage sound but rounder and hotter bridge u can try lollar dirty blondes or lindy fralins vintage hots with a plate on the bridge pickup. If u want a real hot bridge the dimarzio or duncans are your friend. Good luck.

3. WKG

WKG Member

I've got an rosewod/maple/ash strat that I've been running a set of Tonerider City Limits in. The bridge is pretty hot and responds well to overdrive. The neck and middle pups are supposed to be designed like overwound late 50's and sound pretty classic to me but will certainly sing with some overdrive as well. I put a Fralin base plate on the bridge pup and have been really happy with the results.

4. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

I've got a Custom Shop Strat with very very similar specs and it came with '69s.

5. DZA

DZA Member

Thank you very much for your opinion!

DakotaRed, how about the sound of '69s in an ash/rosewood strat?

6. josuwa

josuwa Member

I'd go with the '69s

7. SNick

SNick Member

I have a similar guitar. I settled on modern standard MIA Stratocaster pickups. They work so well in mine. Good overall tone and the bridge pickup is well balanced. You definitely know it's a Strat that's playing.

8. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Differing opinions, I guess. I've heard players comment that they liked the CS 54s bridge pickup because it was able to better handle overdrive.

9. DZA

DZA Member

Thank you very much for the suggestions. In the end I bought the CS 54'. I chose those over '69 because of the higher DC resistance (6.5K) of the bridge pickup.

10. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I love the CS 54 pickups.

11. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

:agree