1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ash body with ebony neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by donbarzini, Jan 8, 2008.

1. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I want to try something a bit different, always wanted to try an ebony fretboard on a maple neck. I hear that ebony is rather bright, would the combination of an ebony neck with an ash body be too bright?

2. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

I think that would be a great combo... ebony is my favorite... I've heard that ebony has kind of a flat even response...

Steve

3. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

it works great on my G&L Bluesboy, love the snap

4. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

It is a great combo. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Member

Fender has used the ash body/maple neck combination together with single coils since the 50's and ebony is not brighter than maple so I don't think an ash/body ebony neck guitar would be more brighter than these Fender strats. But it's all subjective, if you already think ash body/maple neck strats are bright then an ash body/ebony fb strat will probably sound too bright to your ears too.

6. PFCG

PFCG Member

sounds like it would be a tad bright IMO. I think an alder body would do a little more justice.

7. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

That looks nice! I just ordered a one piece swamp ash body and the maple/ebony neck. If the grain looks nice on the body, I may just do an oil finish like yours, otherwise, a solid color nitro.

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I had an early Swamp Ash Les Paul with an ebony board and it was a great sounding guitar with lots of snap and shimmer on the top end.

9. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

Thanks! It's actually a very light satin poly finish and you can still feel the grain through the finish.

10. emjee

emjee Member

I have a Schecter kit strat from 89, which has an Ash body w/maple neck and ebony 'board, and I find the tone to be pretty even, with slight boost to the upper mids. But it does not sound much like a Strat. Very little quack.

MG

11. aaron1433

aaron1433 Member

I'd personally go with Rosewood; it might have a little more balance. But who knows? Could be great.

12. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I was first drawn to the great grain on this light ash body, but the ebony neck on this ASAT Classic was icing on the cake. (I added the tortoise guard, I think it looks good, no?) This is one great guitar; I bought it based on the one my brother-in-law showed off at the annual holiday get together. This ASAT is still one of my favorite guitars and will never be sold by me, even in dire circumstances. To insure this, I gave it to my son, who gets it when he has secure living quarters. Oh, and I gave him my original Goodsell Clairmont Super17 (#47) to accompany it, so I'd never let that one go either. Again, I get to keep them safe for him.;)

It could be a while before he finds something I deem safe...:D

13. Dave L

Dave L Member

I´ve had a Jackson DR2 - ash body, bolt-on maple neck, ebony board. I wouldn´t call it excessively bright, but it had a very snappy and direct feel to it.

14. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

My favorite combination.

[​IMG]

GAD

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Fascinating.

There was another thread on this very subject just weeks ago; and the overwhelming sentiment was the ebony would be too bright. I don't remember whether I bothered to disagree; once a strong position gains enough momentum in a thread, you can't usually slow it down and you sure cannot reverse it.

Instead you start another thread the next week and achieve the opposite result.