ash tele w/rosewood board?

dazco

There are probably custom shop teles with ash body and rosewood fingerboard or some other high end ones. But do they or have they made in recent years a tele like that with vintage hardware and vintage truss rod neck (don't care about radius) thats fairly inexpensive? Don't bother mentioning alder or maple board models.

jimmyj

I think the MIM Muddy Waters was ash/rosewood. Excellent guitars if you can find one.

M40A1

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Wildwood 10 '62 Custom Tele that's ash with an Indian rosewood fretboard.

omfg51

For such a simple design concept, you'd think they'd be more common. Much rarer of a combination than I realized.

TheClev

As seen on TV
You're probably better off building one, as Mellecaster did (sweet guitar by the way), or at least ordering a rosewood neck for an ash tele. Strange how you don't see that combo very often...Ash and maple, yes. Alder and rosewood, yes. Ash and rosewood, rarely.

dazco

You're probably better off building one, as Mellecaster did (sweet guitar by the way), or at least ordering a rosewood neck for an ash tele. Strange how you don't see that combo very often...Ash and maple, yes. Alder and rosewood, yes. Ash and rosewood, rarely.
yes i know, but thats my last resort and it would be fender parts as i only use fender. (i have my reasons) But i' really don't like parting things together because you don't know what you have till it's already paid for. Thats why i never buy online. I need to play it b4 i jump.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
There are probably custom shop teles with ash body and rosewood fingerboard or some other high end ones. But do they or have they made in recent years a tele like that with vintage hardware and vintage truss rod neck (don't care about radius) thats fairly inexpensive? Don't bother mentioning alder or maple board models.
If it doesn't have to be a Fender, the old MIJ Fernandes TE-1N and TE-2 line had an ash body, rosewood or maple necks (with heel adjustment requiring neck removal to adjust), and 3 barrel bridges. Somewhat hard to come by and they typically have held their value. When they pop up on eBay, they tend to sell in the $500 range which is a little more than they sold for originally.

jimmyj

One of my all-time favorite guitars.

Yeah, I had one up until last winter. I've been playing my '55 thinskin Tele more the last year and it's about a pound lighter than the MW I had but that Muddy played really nicely and sounded like a rosewood tele should. A friend of my Dad told me he was looking for a really good tele as reasonably as possible so I sold it to him. I may yet have regrets.

dazco

If it doesn't have to be a Fender, the old MIJ Fernandes TE-1N and TE-2 line had an ash body, rosewood or maple necks (with heel adjustment requiring neck removal to adjust), and 3 barrel bridges. Somewhat hard to come by and they typically have held their value. When they pop up on eBay, they tend to sell in the $500 range which is a little more than they sold for originally.
I had one years ago. I'd say mid 90's probably. It was alder tho. Think it was a TE-2. Maybe u r thinking of the maple neck version?

Trending Topics