Asher appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shallbe, Aug 26, 2013.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I own Asher Ultratone T, #634.

Holy cow, I really enjoy playing this guitar. I have had it for 2 months, and now it's tweaked and setup perfectly. I nearly sold this and my LP Custom after a financial pinch with 2 kids now in college, but thankfully that's past.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

It is very light (6.5 lbs.) with a large V neck and rounded fretboard edges. The combination of the truly unique neck carve and satin finish make it so much fun to play.

The pickups have a unique sound. The neck is bigger and clearer than a traditional Tele, and the bridge is fatter and not as bright. I have been playing Teles in bands for over 30 years, and had to change my expectations and let the guitar be was supposed to be. I now love the individual feel and tone that is the Ultratone T.

Kudos to Bill for making a unique instrument that seems retro and modern at the same time. I often think it looks like a guitar would appear on the Jetsons.

Show your Asher and share your experience, please. Let's see more of Bill's work.

2. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

It's so good and refreshing to hear someone on TGP say this about a 1-man-shop boutique build. So often you see people posting about how they bailed on a guitar like this at a loss because it was just too divergent from the big name mass-produced guitars that they love and know well. I'm all for allowing a guitar's individual character come through and the player adapting to it. An occasional break from the familiar and comfortable is a positive thing, I think.

3. Quintus

Quintus Member

Glad you got to keep your Asher, Steve! I agree with your review, as well. These are such cool, unique guitars and the playability, tone and overall craftsmanship is the best I've encountered. Here are a couple shots of my Asher Ultra Tone T Deluxe in Pelham blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

I have one in the works. Can't wait...

5. shallbe

Quintus,

I love the color of your Asher. I guess yours is an alder body? It would be interesting to compare my ash/maple to a alder/rosewood guitar.

Whenever I play mine, I am amazed at how large the neck is yet how comfortable. Mine is like .930 at the first fret, but the prominent V shape combined with the rounded (not rolled) fretboard feels so natural to wrap your hand around.

I have never played any neck shape like this on any other guitar. I love V necks, and have them on Suhrs now and past Fenders, but the Asher is really special.

6. Oz Hofstatter

Oz Hofstatter Gold Supporting Member

Bill Asher is one of my favorite "bolt-on neck" builders.
    Cheers,
    Oz

7. Quintus

Quintus Member

Yes, mine has an alder body, and is very warm and balanced. And the resonance on this is - like yours - simply incredible. I hope to add a swamp ash bodied one like yours to my arsenal someday and have the pleasure of comparing them. :)

I think my neck is the same size as yours. I almost didn't buy mine based on the large neck specs. But it's such a great carve and the V just fits perfectly into my hand.

The back of the neck and headstock on my asher is also pelham blue, but is satin smooth with no stickiness. Bill Asher told me that the color on mine was inspired by an SG that Jackson Browne brought to him that had the same pelham blue finish on the front and back of the neck. The color is sort of a luminous turquoise that pictures can't capture.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  8. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Bill makes a special guitar. Not sure what it is, but they sound incredible and play very well. I hope to get my hands on a T some day.

9. dapa78

dapa78 Silver Supporting Member

I'm absolutely thrilled with the Asher Marc Ford you sold me, Oz. Bill's craftsmanship is second to none.

10. anyone

anyone Member

I don't have an Asher, but if I ever buy another guitar Bill is at the top of my list.
    Such a cool guy making such soulful guitars!

11. shallbe

That was the way I felt. His was the only thing I was gassing for. It was a combination of the look, features and clips I heard. The most amazing thing about the guitars to me is the feel.

The neck carve and fretwork are amazing, and the offset body makes for very comfortable playing, standing or sitting. In fact, it is my favorite guitar to sit and play.

When I have taken it to gigs, it has raised a few eyebrows......"What is that?"

12. Kid Tele

Kid Tele Member

Its 2:30 in the morning and I have officially looked at every Ultratone video or posting on the web. I'm about to join the Asher cult and can't figure out how I am going to get any sleep until Monday. In order to stay married and have an Ultratone, I had to let go of a very nice Gibson ES 335, so expectations are high. I just hope it plays and sounds half as good as it looks. This picture was taken from the Willcutt site. I will post my impressions after sitting with it for a few days.

http://s742.photobucket.com/user/drendino/media/Ultratone Custom T/689-2up_zps30d7ad09.jpg.html

Specs:
    One-piece Mahogany Body
    Quartersawn Mahogany Neck
    Madagascar Rosewood Fretboard
    12" Radius
    Dunlop 6155 Frets
    C Shape Neck: .087-.090, 1 5/8" nut
    Abalone Dots
    Ebony Face Plate with Abalone Logo
    Tortoise T-Blade Pickups
    Volume/Tone and 6-Position Veri-Tone
    Thin Poly Lacquer

13. billasher

billasher Member

David, thanks for investing in one of my guitars! I think your are going to very happy with this one and if you have any questions please feel free to give me a call. I support my guitars long after they are sold and like staying in touch with those who play them. :rockin
    [​IMG]

Bobby D likes this.
  14. shallbe

I can vouch for that. I bought my guitar used and it had the Redd Volkaert pickups in it. I wanted a set of the original Biloft blades and Bill got a set to me very quickly.

15. Kid Tele

Kid Tele Member

Wow, thanks Bill! Now I am really not going to be able to sleep. GAS is a very funny phenomena. 6 Months ago I never heard of an Asher. 1 month ago I told my buddy that my ES 335 was going to be passed down to my grandkids. After I saw that guitar on the Wilcutt site I was done! There wasn't a whole lot of info on the Willcutt website and I was curious about the tone styler. On their site they show it as 6-position Veri-tone. Is this different than your 16 position Tonestyler that you put in most of your models?

16. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

David, glad you're getting an Asher! I think Bill only uses the 6 position now. I've had both and the 6 is way more usable than the 16.

17. shallbe

I had my Asher about a month and almost sold it due to a cash crunch (two kids starting college, late sales commissions). Thankfully I made it through without accepting any lowball offers I received.

If that would have happened, it certainly would have been one of the biggest gear regrets of my life. This guitar is special.

Mine has the 16 position switch, and I usually only use the first 5 or 6 clicks. I like all of those, however, and don't know what would be missing if I had the other switch.

18. Kid Tele

Kid Tele Member

Hey Steve, I am curious as to your impressions of the Biloft blades.

19. shallbe

The neck pickup is full sounding---not thin at all, but very open and clear. It has more chime than a typical neck Tele or P90 pickup. You could do many gigs just on this pickup alone, because it works so well for so much music.

Both pickups on has a nice, funky cut to it.

The bridge pickup is beefier than a Tele bridge pickup, and it has less highs. It keeps up with a P90, but sounds lean and mean compared to a bridge P90 more spread out, gnarly sound. The lead guitar sound on Back to Ohio by the Pretenders is a good reference point for this pickup---at least to me.

20. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

This Custom S came to me recently. One piece ash body, coolest pickguard I've ever seen, Custom P90 like humbuckers from Seymour Duncan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013