Asher appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shallbe, Aug 26, 2013.

1. travolter

travolter Member

That's some fancy picking. Sounds great with headphones. (Sounds great wo them, too, just sounds better with).

This guitar - and other single coil setups - sound great with the Magnatone. Can't get enough of it.

2. jimmyflyinryan

jimmyflyinryan Member

I just purchased an Asher Marc Ford Signature model [#774] from Cliff Cultreri @ Destroy All Guitars. It is not the first guitar I’ve gotten from him…and they’re ALL exemplary top shelf instruments, mind you…but this Asher is without a doubt the finest instrument I’ve ever played – and I’ve played ‘em all. I know that assessment comes from a very subjective and personal perspective; that said, you name it, I’ve played it…hard…and nothing in my 45 years of playing compares to this Asher. Really. I’m not groveling or patronizing here; it’s a fact.

The Strat/Junior hybrid is right in my wheelhouse (my 2 all time fave guitar models), and the tone (those Arcane P90 pickups smoke, man), feel, playability, control layout (that Tonestyler really adds the “secret sauce” & the knobs kill) and construction (rock-solid coupling all the way around…it will NOT go out of tune) is peerless, the vibe is “down & dirty” yet refined & sophisticated (how’d you do that?), and the “fit & finish” is slick & drop-dead gorgeous.

Thank you for creating this amazing instrument…it’s now my “go to” and I think it’ll stay that way for a long time. Kudos to you, Bill, and your entire team…you are each extraordinary in every way. May you all share in the happiness you bring to others…and you’ve brought a lot of happiness to me. Well done!

3. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I have a pretty special Asher being built by Bill right now. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I gigged with my Asher this weekend and had a blast. The looks, fit, finish, feel and sound are just what I am looking for out of an instrument.

4. mgrier1

mgrier1 Member

Bill is one of the greats in this business... Delivers on-time/on-budget and with extremely high-quality product.

I have visited him in the shop several times over the years, and it is like visiting with family. He is totally dedicated to building the best possible instruments, while keeping the price in the "working musician's" budget (as much as that is possible, these days).

'shallbe' has my last Asher and it was/is a beauty. I look forward to my next one soon!

My Best,

Mike

5. coot tone

coot tone Member

Bought an Ultratone T-Deluxe from Cliff at DAG last week...got it on Monday. Surpasses all my expectations. Pics to follow!

6. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

Got this through Cliff at DAG
    I am super happy!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. coot tone

coot tone Member

Very nice. Here's what I ended up with. These are pics from DAG. The actual color of the body is true white blonde. I love the neck shape and flame. Cliff steered me right!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. shallbe

My guitar is the same color and woods. To me, a modern classic guitar.

9. coot tone

coot tone Member

Agree! Distinctive, but with vintage feel.

10. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

My Ben Harper model:

[​IMG]

11. coot tone

coot tone Member

Nice. Very nice.

12. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Here's one I got on trade a couple years ago and let a friend take it away from me. Well, I just got it back and it's every bit as cool as I remember. Duncan stacked BFG in the bridge and a P90 type thing in the neck.. Super cool knobs too. The neck on this guitar is just perfect. Crazy great guitar. Very happy to have been able to get it back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  13. coot tone

coot tone Member

Bill's necks are sick. My soft v is the most comfortable neck I've ever played.

14. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

CoolTone! Your Ashed is insanely AWESOME! I would want that exact spec! What kind of amp are you using? Do you favor clean tones versus overdriven or a blend of both. How is the volume shift and tonal balance from neck to middle to bridge?

If you close you eyes, do you hear 'TELE'. ..or just a cool more vibey flavor or Tele?

15. coot tone

coot tone Member

Neck pickup is very similar to a Teisco Gold Foil, clear top, middle, and bottom end. Not your typical Tele OR Strat sounding neck pickup, which I found very appealing. Bridge PU is a little fatter than a typical Tele in a good way, but still retains some bite. Like the neck, very cleare top, middle, and bottom. I have three different vintage Fender amps, it sounds great through all of them. Sounds amazing overdriven as well, either by pedals or natural tube OD. Sounds the most like a Tele in the middle position, interestingly. The volume balances perfectly between front and back. ToneStyler is very useful. Gigged with it today for the first time (a morning gig, actually!), and it sounded great through my Deluxe! As great as it sounds, it plays just as nice.

16. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I am totally infatuated with your guitar! Looks killer and I love the description. People have praised the Asher neck profile too. Is the Radius 9.5" or ???

17. shallbe

My Asher has a 12" radius.

18. coot tone

coot tone Member

Thanks, Groberts. Mine's a 12 inch radius. Neck is a soft V, beefier than Fender's soft V on the Clapton, etc. I've been playing it almost exclusively since I got it, and love it more each day.

19. shallbe

Here is another iPhone video showing the tones of the Asher Utratone T, this time through a Swart AST Tremelo (Great Amp!)

It is just an improv take, but it shows the sound of the guitar clean and dirty, with tremelo, reverb, plus fuzz/od, delay and wah.

20. coot tone

coot tone Member

That's nice. It really showcases the versatility of the T-Deluxe.

The bass player in my band just shakes his head at me when he looks at mine. He can't get over how good it sounds. Without a doubt my favorite guitar, and I have two nice Fender CS Teles, a CS Strat, and two Historic Gibsons, all are great guitars. But the T-Deluxe is just EXTRA SPECIAL!