1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Asher appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shallbe, Aug 26, 2013.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I agree on all counts. And thanks for listening.

2. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Back in the fold

[​IMG]

shallbe....selling me on Asher Guitars....thx

3. shallbe

That is a beauty! I love the tortise shell. Enjoy.

4. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Picked this Asher up here recently and am really enjoying it...

[​IMG]

Crowder, barrym and billasher like this.
  5. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Nice!
    How did I miss that one??

6. travolter

travolter Member

Wow. That's just beautiful.

7. TBoneDeluxe

TBoneDeluxe Member

And I miss it! Glad you're digging it!

T

8. shallbe

I love my Ashers. These two have been on a lot of gigs over the last 2 months, and I will be using them again this weekend. So much fun to play, and nothing else I have sounds like these guitars.

[​IMG]

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Here's my Asher. I got it at his shop a few years ago and enjoyed meeting them. It's what was at the time his Electro Hawaiian Junior model, before he started having them made for him. So, one pickup was what made it a "Junior." The switch is as you might guess a coil splitter, and it really adds a different sound to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On top of everything else, that headstock logo is really cool and my all time favorite.

I'm going to buy myself a retirement present in the not too distant future, and an Asher is one that I'm strongly considering, which is why I found this thread. Well, it wasn't lost, but, you know what I mean. The Ultratone T seems a likely way to go, but the Mark Ford is also right up my alley. For that matter, an Electro Sonic would be awfully nice, but that's getting out of my price range. It's not like, I want an Asher, which one? Each one in the demos and descriptions is very attractive in it's own right, as a guitar I'd love to play.

I wish I could find a few in stores to try out, but I understand why that's not practical. He makes them, people buy them! Or I should say, people order them, he makes them. The neck carve is the main thing I'd like to try--I like soft Vs, and I'm sure I would go with one, but I've seen a variety of sizes listed in specs. I tend to like fat necks and have fairly large hands, and I think I saw one in my poking around the web that had IIRC a .97 to 1 inch, that seems like it would be right, but one thing about V necks is that they seem to me to feel "bigger" compared to rounded ones, and I suspect I'd could get along just fine with a little smaller carve. Anyway, I'm starting to ramble.

And then, what color? Less important, and if I was to find one already made I probably wouldn't fuss about the color at all, but if I was ordering one, then I'd have to choose and I've seen some beauties on the web!

10. shallbe

The necks on both my Ashers are large V's. Like .94 to 1". However, due to the way Bill carves them, they fill up your hand but don't get in the way. They feel substantial but completely not cumbersome.

I have large hands as well, and these necks are my favorite of all my time playing guitar.

11. coot tone

coot tone Member

Bill's neck carves feel better to me than any other guitar I've played in my 40+ years of playing. No exaggeration.

12. shallbe

I totally agree. The two I have are the bigger carves, but my friend bought a koa Ultra T with a much smaller soft V, and it plays wonderfully. I would take that guitar off his hands in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

13. stevieboy

There's one in a store in my area, they just list it as having a soft V, no more specific data. I'll likely go by sometime in the next few days to give it a try. Maybe it will blow me away and I'll bring it home! But I'm in the early stages, and it doesn't have a typical tele type ash or alder body wood that seem to be prevalent with the Ultratone Ts and most of the demos I've heard have. It's like a Les Paul in that department, quilted maple over mahogany. Which may be perfect, I'm not looking for another Telecaster. Pretty guitar too, I tend to be a plain top guy, but I'm open! 2012 and the price is pretty as well. Now if they just had a Mark Ford to try too... :banana

14. glee01

glee01 Member

I can vouch for this one , having ordered it to my specs. I've owned It twice. So far.

15. shallbe

This guitar gets more rewarding the more I play it. New guitars are great, but when really played a lot and tweaked to your preferences, the true potential becomes apparent.

I have had this Asher since January, and have gigged with it a lot. I will be using it again this weekend. [​IMG]

Through every one of my amps, it sounds detailed and rich. With 11-52's on it, it has that grand piano thing going on---very clear but with some real muscle.

Now that it has broken in nicely, the guitar has opened up considerably. The bridge pickup tone is not as spikey as when new, yet the neck pickup tone is actually clearer. The whole guitar just sounds bigger and louder. There is something to be said for putting a lot of hours on an instrument.

I recently got a PTD Rotobone, and this Asher sounds sick through that pedal.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  16. stevieboy

So I played the one I mentioned in the post above. Beautiful guitar, and it was all the things that Asher fans rave about.

But there were key differences about the neck that weren't what I would want or order, and they are things that you can order if you have Bill build you one, so it's not for me. Nut too narrow, frets too small (not sure what size they were, I'm fine with medium jumbos or 6105s.) The neck profile, while I might be alright with it if everything else was right, was on the narrow side for me as well. Actually, if it was just any one of those things, I might go for it, but not all three combined.

So, very impressive as far as getting a T-Deluxe eventually, but if I'm going to get one, of course it makes sense to get it the way I want it.

Though that one will probably hang around in the back of my mind for a few days...

17. coot tone

coot tone Member

Of course, the neck carves, frets, and profiles, while similar, will vary. I'm not sure if Bill builds any two guitars exactly the same unless you are looking for one.

My T-Deluxe has a chunky, V-neck that's a cross between a hard V and soft V, but has plenty of girth. The frets are definitely not thin, more like medium jumbos. Mine was not custom ordered.

18. stevieboy

Sure, no question. The one I saw was lightly used, so who knows its story. Mahogany body with a quilt maple top is pretty unusual for a T, and it could have been a custom order. Again, nothing at all wrong with it, and none of those things are odd or anything, just not what I would get given the choice. The features I would want aren't unusual or overly picky either, and I would have the choice!

19. shallbe

Bill will do the neck the way you want it with a custom order. Both of my Asher's have different nut widths. He does C as well as soft V carves, large and small. He has a default fret wire, but will also do others if asked.

My gold foil Asher has the wide nut and thick soft V carve. I really like the extra room and no hand fatigue, even after a long performance.

20. shallbe

Here is a new video clip of my Asher TG3 in my avatar. The iPhone died near the end, but it shows what the guitar sounds like clean and overdriven. It has matured a bit since January, is sweeter and more responsive.