Asher appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shallbe, Aug 26, 2013.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

The gold foil Asher continues to amaze me and impress other musicians. I have begun subbing for another guitar player in addition to playing in a regular duo and band. I have used this Asher extensively at each one.

The sub gig with The Lizards is a very interesting one. Each week, a different singer/songwriter comes into this club and the band backs him up. Hence the name. The instruments are guitar, mandolin, violin, harmonica, percussion and harmony vocals on known material. Originals and covers, whatever the artist calls.

They ask key, watch his/her hands and play along. Everyone is a good comp player and listener, well versed in keys, chord changes and capo transposition. They have been doing this for 5 years as a group, but I am new to it. All acoustic instruments----but me.

When offered the gig for the acoustic guitarist taking a break, I told them I did not have an amplified acoustic or an acoustic amp. I would bring a small Swart 5 watter and my Asher with gold foils.

It went great, with the Asher adding nice texture to the acoustic instruments. It was just the guitar, amp reverb and tremelo for the most part. Just an occasional effect like delay when I thought it would work. Sweet, full and chimey, just what I wanted for rhythm and solos in that context. I was really pleased with how everything sounded. The band was very complimentary as well.

I will be doing more with The Lizards. Plus, the first guest artist does 250 gigs a year and has contacted me to do some duo gigs with him along the beach.

Bill makes a great guitar that is really unique, versatile and a joy to play.

kev and choucas09 like this.
  2. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

Absolutely beautiful playing.
    Am/was considering an Asher until additional expenses for a medical procedure arose.
    Some day.
    In mean time, I will be playing this frequently.
    Thanks.

3. shallbe

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you are already on the road to recovery.

4. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

Just a heads up...I just checked the Asher FB page and saw they're having a 15% off Black Friday sale(everything...even guitars)...I have a custom on order so it doesn't help me but thought maybe someone in the market might be stoked...that Goldtop Tele with the Bigsby is insane(I'm local and played it a couple times at the shop)...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  5. adolan

adolan Member

[​IMG]

This is My Asher Eh 1 Lap steel, Koa Top and fretboard, Honduras mahogany body. got this in 2009 it's number 486 and this thing sounds sooo darn sick, i haven't played it a lot lately but whenever i do its a thing of beauty :)

shallbe and flantrax like this.
  6. Jazzmann

Jazzmann Member

I got an Electro-Sonic incoming and I’m very excited! Anyone here play one? Seems to be alot of Ashers T-style models in this thread.

big mike likes this.
  7. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Class guy,
    Fantastic instruments. Really great stuff. Everything I’ve been fortunate to try out has been just outstanding.

Hope there’s a swamp ash T for me one of these days when the time is right (on my side)

JiMB likes this.
  8. desertrat07

desertrat07 Supporting Member

I've owned two Asher T's, both had amazing fit and finish and particularly great necks, but I never tend to hold on to Teles for too long. This one I got on trade from @Zen Guitar, and it's not going anywhere soon. The Fralin PAFs work wonders in this guitar, sweet and airy with a beautiful mid-range punch. The Dakota Red is also deep and lustrous, and plays great off the ebony board...she's real purty up close.

[​IMG]

Zen_Guitar, Jazzmann and JiMB like this.
  9. shallbe

There is an Asher S on Bill's website now that I want REAL BAD. Timing sucks though.

10. desertrat07

The black one or the sunburst? They both look AWESOME!

11. shallbe

That black ash one with the P-90s. I don't need it but I want it.

katuna and desertrat07 like this.
  12. journo

journo Member

I'd love an T Deluxe and an S Classic built to my specs.

BTW, love the square 6 to a side headstock.

Cheers,

Mats N

13. Zen Guitar

Zen Guitar Member

@desertrat07, I think that you might have me confused with another user with a similar screen name (happens ever once in a while). Nice guitar, though!

Cheers,

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  14. desertrat07

My bad, I meant Zen_Guitar. But thanks!

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  15. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Silver Supporting Member

wow nearly my doppelgänger....

glad to meet you Zen Guitar.

desertstrat07 has a stunning collection.....

Zen Guitar and desertrat07 like this.
  16. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Silver Supporting Member

a fella I have done some deals with just scored this from Lance Keltner. the guitar has had a Graph Tech Ghost system installed since the video. guy is stoked to get it.....I hope to get a chance to play it.

Bill builds some great guitars. I have owed a number of them....a few multiple times. Bill is a great dude and a very talented luthier.

Lt Dak and Bobby D like this.
  17. Jazzmann

Jazzmann Member

What is your experience with Ashers pickups? The one I have inbound has Asher BluesBuckers in it. Cant find much info on the website.

18. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

this sounds AMAZING....dripping with vibe and some seriously haunting riffs. Lance is a great player.

I have played quite a few Ashers, and they all sounded great and played well. Havent owned one yet.....but it will probably happen in the near future :D

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  19. shallbe

I love the Asher/Biloft blade pickups in my Ultratone T. My TG3 has Lollar Goldfoils. Bill has a good ear for great tone. I don't think he will build a guitar and put anything but good pickups in it. He also hand winds his own Telecaster pickups now.

20. Jazzmann

Jazzmann Member

Do you know if the humbuckers are made in house as well?