Ashtray covers..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tommygunn1986, Dec 6, 2016.

1. tommygunn1986

tommygunn1986 Member

I own an "ashtray cover" for both my Strat and Tele. Just cause I wanted to own that part which mine didn't come with.

Anyone out there actually play with theirs on?

The Stray one especially gets knocked off super easily. Does look cool though

2. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I've tried to play with them. The ashtray I had for my Strat (that I don't have anymore) I still use, but I use it as an ashtray. It really gets in the way for me, I do way too much palm muting to use the cover.
    The cover coming off is an easy fix though, just bend the sides of the cover in slightly, to make it hold on better. It doesn't take much.

tommygunn1986 likes this.
  3. rambleon

rambleon Supporting Member

I wish I could play my tele with the cover on, it definitely looks cooler that way. Unfortunately I need to have my right hand at the bridge to control strumming / muting.

4. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Supporting Member

Interesting thread. On a whim, I ordered the pickup cover for my Carvin bass when I had it built and while it's not TOO in the way, it is rather curious why it would have ever been thought of as a good idea.

[​IMG]

I like the way the ashtray bridge covers look, but yeah, I am too much of a palm-muter to be able to live with it on. If/when I get a strat/tele as a wall-hanger, I'll definitely opt for it for aesthetic purposes.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

More chrome= cool.:D It was the '50s.

6. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

I own one for my Tele and it actually does make a very good ash tray.

7. bossaddict

bossaddict Supporting Member

I keep them on while playing my Strat and Jazzmaster, but remove before playing my Tele.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have a Tele ashtray somewhere. They look cool but just aren't practical, at all. That's why they immediately became ashtrays.

9. Roxy

Roxy Member

I play with tele ashtrays at times . It does make the tele bridge pickup sound different and helps in cases where you don't want to palm mute. It all comes to preference.
    The strat one I think is merely aesthetics . For me it just gets in the way on a strat.

10. ultradust

ultradust Member

To my right hand, the Tele ashtray can "feel" so good (rounded edges and all that), that I don't mind playing with one if palm muting and over-the-bridge p'up playing are not required.

On a related note, I even went so far as to change my fingering style over the course of a few years by using the cover as a thumbrest on one of my J-Classic IVs.

[​IMG]

11. David Fry

David Fry Member

12. tulk1

tulk1 Member

Matthew Larrivee wrote a great article (now in obscurity) about the pros/cons of an ashtray cover when we queried him about why one wasn't included with the Bakersfield. It really got into the weeds about current eddies (sp?) and the effect of the covers on the pickups, squeal, lots of other way too technical stuff for my braims. The jest of it was that, altho' they look cool, they present quite a problem for the pickups. That said, I'd still like to have one for the Bakersfield, even if just for when I'm not playing it.

13. Mike Grafft

Mike Grafft Member

I've got the three pickup tele Nashville edition, and actually ordered the cover, and installed it. I use it a lot, but it only takes a second to pop it off or on I also think it made a tonal difference....

14. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

I think it's kind of amusing that Fender has been...choosy about which ones get installed on the various vintage reissues. I have two VHR basses ('60s P, '70s J), and they both came with the pickup cover and tug bar (albeit both uninstalled)...but not a bridge cover. I have to assume that it's because you could install the pickup cover without visible alterations (i.e. a new guard will cover the holes, which are predrilled in the stock guards), but you can't un-drill the holes the bridge cover would require.

I think the only guitar I have that came with a cover is my '62 Jazzmaster non-relic. But it won't fit the bridge, just falls off.

15. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I saw Guy King in Chicago earlier this week. He played with the ashtray on the whole night.

[​IMG]

22Top likes this.
  16. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

17. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I occasionally use one on my US American Vintage RI '62 Tele Custom...or is it a Custom Tele? I can't ever remember...

18. LaXu

LaXu Member

I didn't even know an ashtray for Strats existed.

19. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I can kinda work around the cover on the Strat, but since I have quite a few Strats and only one cover, I've abandoned trying to use it.

On the Esquires and Teles, forget about it. Interferes way too much. Keep 'em around for installation at picture taking time.

20. custom53

custom53 Member

I do like the "look" of them on but I really can't play mine with it on..

[​IMG]