[ASK] Buzzing/Noise when i plug my cord to the amp (without the guitar plugged)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slianto, Feb 25, 2012.

1. slianto

slianto Member

My strat buzzing/hum/noise but it's gone when i touch the metal parts of the guitar/cord. at first i thought it was bad grounding, but i've resoldered everything and the problem still persist.

and now i realized something:
    1. I turn on my amp - no buzz
    2. I plug in my guitar cord (not plug the guitar yet) - BUZZING
    3. I plug the guitar cord in to my guitar - BUZZING reduced (but still buzzing until i touch the metal parts it's gone)

So is this normal to buzz when the cord connected to the amp without the guitar?the buzz is loud.

2. LarryN

LarryN Member

Yes, a cord plugged into the amp will buzz. Try another cord and see. Most guitars are grounded to the hardware, so that makes sense. Not altogether sure what your scenario is, though.

3. slianto

slianto Member

I have no another cord at the moment, will try it for sure.

The buzz is gone when the volume is max and tone is 0.when i turn up the tone, then the buzz is increase. when i turn down the volume, the buzz is appear and different, except at min volume, no-buzz. and when i touch the metal parts, it's gone too.

Is this grounding problem? I've check all the grounding wire, and resolder them.

4. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

That's normal behavior for a properly grounded guitar. You have no problems. Play and enjoy.

5. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

You will have better results if you plug the chord into the guitar before plugging it into the amp. What you are experiencing now with the hum/buzz is normal. Most single coil guitars produce some 60 cycle hum. You will also notice that on positions 2 & 4 the hum pretty much disappears. That is because the middle pickup is reverse wound, and paired with one of the other pickups cancels out hum... same as a humbucker pickup.

6. jb4674

jb4674 Member

You need a Mogami platinum guitar cable. It's expensive but well worth it.

7. RCM78

RCM78 Member

60 cycle hum with single coil pickups. Totally normal.

8. slianto

slianto Member

Okay I've changed my cord and it's significantly decrease now.
    only heard a little hum, and i guess that's at normal level (not very loud as before).
    but the hum is gone when i touch the metal parts. can this be fixed?

it's annoying to hear the clicking sound,after let go a string, then touch it back, i can hear the clicking sound (grounding). I've turn off all the florescene lamp/laptop/tv everything in the room..but the slight hum still there.

I heard that shielding will prevent this EMI or stuff, but in this case i guess it's not that?since i've turn off all electronic in the room..and it still hum and gone when i touch the metal parts.