Asking for tips on gluing mounting bracket to es335 guard...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MisterTV, May 1, 2016.

1. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

Hi all... I'm a total amateur looking for advice from the skilled craftsman who frequent the Luthier Forum...

I recently ordered a replacement pickguard for my '90 es335, along with a new bracket.

Is there a best practice for how to ensure that I'm adhering the plastic block to the underside of the guard in the exact right place? My sense is there's very little margin for error with anything involving Super Glue.

Any tips or links would be greatly appreciated!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

shouldn't the new guard already have the block thing attached?

and what's wrong with the original pickguard?

falderguitars likes this.
  3. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

I've never seen one that came that way.

For a long time, you couldn't get a proper 335 bracket. Gibson wouldn't sell them, and the only aftermarket was the wrong size (too tall I think, but I might have it backwards - it was for the jazz boxes, 175s and the like).

I have an 'R9' 335, and I don't like the 'long' guard; I had a short guard made (Gibson won't sell guards, either). I originally mounted it with a Les Paul bracket and epoxy - epoxy doesn't really stick super well to pickguard plastic but it's good enough.

But I found a source for the right brackets (eBay...of course) recently, and re-did it. The bracket isn't 100% identical to the stock piece but it's probably 97%.

Anyway, to answer the OP, run the block up the threaded rod so that it's the same distance, more or less, as it is/was on the original guard. Mount the guard using the neck-end screw and attach the bracket to the guitar. Make sure everything looks right - double/triple check everything, body clearance, overhang, any possible guard-to-bracket interference - and adjust the block/rod as necessary.

Then I take the guard off, leaving the bracket attached to the body. Drop the glue on the block (slip something - I use PTFE sheet, but anything non-absorbent will do) under the block to protect the guitar from spills, and then carefully re-mount the guard while you guide it onto the block.

If you're unsure, use thick/gel glue - you get a little (very little, but more than zero) repositioning time.

And if you're really unsure, get some scrap plastic and practice so you get a feel for 'grab' time.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

Great - thanks so much for the recommendations; I'll give it a go tonight. This is a replacement guard purely for aesthetics.

I'm not sure if the guard it's replacing is original - the block on that one had the thread and the bracket digging into the binding.

5. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Another idea...you might try 'tacking' it first.

When you've fitted it and you're ready to apply the glue, you could just put a 'dot' or two - like, taps of the end of a wetted toothpick - to the block. Enough to tack the block to the guard, but if you don't like the positioning, you can knock it back off with a lateral tap from a hammer and punch or the like (super glue has relatively poor shear strength).

And if the positioning is right, you can then remove the guard and trickle a little glue around the edges - it'll wick in underneath, although you gotta be real careful not to make a big mess.

This only works with the water-thin kind, though.