• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

asking prices for vintage es-330s

Texsunburst59

I found my '63 330 in a pawnshop about 5 yrs. ago for $2400 out the door.

At the time it was a decent price, but not a steal.

I guess at this moment it seem like I did OK.

The P-90's in my 330 are some of the hottest I've ever encountered in any p-90 equipped guitar I've ever played.

This guitar refuses to play clean sparkly tones.

It only wants to play crunchy overdriven chords or singing sustained lead tones.

I rarely use the guitar and its lived in its case almost the whole time I've owned it.

It was gigged a lot earlier in its life and has the wear to prove it, so it has some mojo.

Here's a pic of my '63 with my 335's.

dblazer

Silver Supporting Member
Is it me or have the asking prices for pre-1965 ES-330s gone way up over the last few years? I have a 2017 Vintage Guitar price guide and from I recall prices for sunburst models were easily under 5k. Now everywhere I look shops are asking well over 7k for them. I know shop prices tend to be higher but have these really gone up that much?
The only lefty ES-330 I ever found was advertised at $3.5K some years ago. I thought I bought it, but it got sold out from under me by the dealer over the weekend. That's about when I parted company with the "vintage" guitar market.

I found my '63 330 in a pawnshop about 5 yrs. ago for $2400 out the door.

At the time it was a decent price, but not a steal.

I guess at this moment it seem like I did OK.

The P-90's in my 330 are some of the hottest I've ever encountered in any p-90 equipped guitar I've ever played.

This guitar refuses to play clean sparkly tones.

It only wants to play crunchy overdriven chords or singing sustained lead tones.

I rarely use the guitar and its lived in its case almost the whole time I've owned it.

It was gigged a lot earlier in its life and has the wear to prove it, so it has some mojo.

Here's a pic of my '63 with my 335's.
Mine has that sound too....in my mind . I've rarely felt the need to step on my overdrive pedal playing it

Texsunburst59

Mine has that sound too....in my mind . I've rarely felt the need to step on my overdrive pedal playing it
I don't know if a lot of the older P-90's are that hot,but mine surely is.

If thought about changing out the pickups and wiring to make the guitar playable ,but I want to keep it all original.

Unfortunately these hot P-90's basically make this guitar unplayable and most likely it'll live in its case until my son decides to sell it in the future.

russ

Silver Supporting Member
Slightly off topic....
Any of you ever put a sound post in a 330?

Presto

@Presto posted a black one earlier in the thread that has added internal blocks under the bridge area - perhaps he'll chime in?
@russ yep I didn’t have it done, but sometime in it’s life mine had a stoptail added. When this was done they added two small blocks, one under the existing bridge and another under the new stoptail.

It looks like these blocks were put in via the pickup hole, and they look glued top and bottom - though I’m not certain. These would be acting as sound posts and I’ve always thought of it as a 330 with mild 335 aspirations :)

I’ve played a few other vintage 330s but only in stores and not side by side with mine. I think mine feels and sounds a bit ‘tighter’ though, but would love to do a good comparison one day.

I can dig out pics of the blocks if you like.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
So this was spotted in a recent e mail ..... way tooo expensive in my mind

Unsure about that guy out of France, I've seen a bunch of things listed and they are always over priced.

50 Watts

I think that one is at least 2x what it should be listed for. I think he's relying on the "uniqueness" of a center block guitar with p90's. I have a 65 ES 330 and a 69 ES 335 and they frankly don't sound night and day different. The 335 is cleaner with more sustain. The 330 less sustain and higher output. Each has their place. Its also not as if 1970 was some banner year for Gibson. The norlin era ES's are fine but nothing I'd pay 11K for. I would guess that this one will be for sale for quite some time.

Trending Topics