Assembling a Strat - Check the ingredients!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teddy boy, Jun 16, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I've been fantasizing about creating a very different kind of Strat. I already have a Fender AV'62RI and I love the feel of that guitar but sometimes wish it had a little more grunt and meat to the tone. I'd like to assemble my own Strat from scratch, something a little different, more of a cross between a LP Jr and a Strat. Sort of best of both worlds. Would it work or will it all end in tears? What do you think?

Body: Tradiotional Strat-style but mahogany from Warmoth. I'll get somebody to spray it Olympic White in nitro.

Neck: An all rosewood neck. I loved Mattes CS "Eddie Cletro" Strat with this feature and I've been drooling at the original in Stratocaster Chronicles. Could add a different character and I sure like the look of it. I'm also considering a mahogany neck with a trad. rosewood board. Compound radius 9"-16". This is also from Warmoth.

Electronics: Acme pre-wired onto a single ply pickguard. Fralin Steelpole 43 in bridge position and vintage hots on middle and neck.

Hardware: Where should I get this stuff? I wouldn't mind having aged parts on this baby. RS Guitarworks didn't seem to have anything except tuners.

What would it sound like in your opinion? Could I expect stratty sounds and more meaty jr. like sounds? At least it would look great!

Best,

Tom

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

For the last strat that built for myself, I got the bridge and some parts from Callaham. The odds & ends came from Warmoth and Stew Mac. Warmoth has better prices, Stew Mac has better selection. LMI might be another excellent source, depending on what you need. Althought I'm not crazy about rosewood necks, it does sound like a fun project. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

5. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Sounds good to me! I love those Fralin Steel Pole bridge pups too. Good stuff.

6. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

guitarelectronics.com is a good source for hardware/electronics... they have just about everything plus wiring diagrams. Don't forget about the five point wiring scheme...

7. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

You want a wiring harness?? Check HAS Electronics... their pots and harnesses are primo... the best quality you can buy. And they are friendly. helpful, and stand by their product.

+10000000000

Matt

8. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

I'm all over this Strat build! I've toyed with the idea of the rosewood neck like crazy. Seafoam would look sweet with rosewood...

9. K-man

K-man Member

Can't say I've ever heard or even seen a strat with a mahogany body and solid rosewood neck. Would be interesting to say the least.

10. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

Interesting idea. I don't think it'll sound much like a Strat but I think it would have some killer tone.

I had a similar idea but with P90s and a mahogany neck, with Strat styling and controls.

11. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Sounds like you're spending too much time wacking off to wood combinations........ It'll be a very expensive "experiment" if you go through with it. I hope it works out for you.......

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi gents,

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to check out Callaham, HAS, Stew Mac etc. They seem like a good idea.

michaelprice83, the rosewood neck is just something I like the look of, the mahogany body is obligatory. As I said, a mahogany neck is another option.

I'm thinking this baby could sound phat! I'll know soon!

13. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

You have a link for HAS Electronics? I googled it but didn't come up with anything.........

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi Ebay,

'I realy enjoyed your diary! And I also checked through your links. GuitarMill seems like a good place to get the body. Nitro is a must for me!

Do you think Mahogany and rosewood could be to soft? Not enough high midrange punch?

15. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I don't think you'll be able to get a sound that is a cross between an LP and Strat by going to a Mahogany Strat body, I imagine you'll need a thicker slab then a Strat body. Plus you are going bolt on vs. glue in.

17. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

LP Jr and a Strat?

I would go with:

- Alder body
    - Maple neck with RW board
    - maybe 25" scale with those conversion necks
    - 3 P-90's or similar pu's in strat single coil format

Just my .02 cents.

18. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Have you ever played an all RW neck? I'm thinking the mixture of that with the mahogany is going to take the snap out of the Strat. Sounds like a very dark-sounding mixture to me.

Better be sure you like it because the resale value will not be in your favor.

-Rich

19. woude

woude Member

you might end up with a really dark instrument, make sure you get a bit brighter elements.

some recommendations:
    -a gold anodized pickguard look killer with a white body and rosewood neck
    -creme pickup covers and knobs idem dito.
    -fender custom shop 54 or 57/62 pickups for that snappy strat sound to compensate for the dark sounding woods.
    -wilkinson vintage bridge (six screws, steel block, push-in arm, at guitarfetish.com)
    -sperzel chrome locking tuners
    -graphite nut
    -blend control to allow blending of the neck and bridge. Super nice!

...and show us the pictures when it's finished, I totally love stratocasters with rosewood necks!

20. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I have a Warmoth unfinished rosewood neck on my Gretsch-O-Caster. It's one of the nicest necks I've ever played, but the guitar sounds a shade darker than my mahogany and maple neck instruments.