Asterope cable, fact or fiction

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluesmann8, Feb 14, 2012.

1. bluesmann8

bluesmann8 Senior Member

2. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

No idea, but if they're directional as they claim, but they don't offer the option of Straight > Right-Angle, then they're of no interest to me. Need a straight jack in the guitar, but a right-angled jack into the pedalboard.

Not that directional cables are a scientifically sound possibility, of course. Just sales BS.

NamaEnsou and Dr.Lee like this.
  3. GA20T

GA20T Member

This reminds me of what a relief it was when they finally invented non-directional cables. No more amp explosions/spontaneous combustion, and no more worrying about bad toan on a dark stage when the cable wasn't plugged in the right way. True story.

4. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

:rotflmao

:munch

5. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Type at Google:

site:thegearpage.net asterope cable

(although you'll miss a big thread that started out as semi-"I hear the electrons flow" / semi-spam and turned out to be very interesting... until the time it was deleted, probably by the original poster)

6. bluesmann8

bluesmann8 Senior Member

I just ran up on the stuff with a youtube clip and though hm..... sounds like a job for the gear page.

7. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've never seen Asterope for sale in any boutique gear stores, so, I can't say how it sounds. One guy I know saw it at the NAMM recently, and he said the
    straight plugs are way too long, and need to be shortened. I think he said Asterope told him they were looking at that issue.

That said, I'm not looking for a better cable, as I'm super-satisfied with my Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables. They are simply the best-sounding cables I've used in over 40+ years of playing electric guitar. David Gilmour's entire rig is connected with Lyric HG's, so that does say something...

8. bluesmann8

bluesmann8 Senior Member

15ft of asterope is about 160.00 bucks. I guess if you need the write off, go for it. let me have 3 of those matchless amps too.

9. asteropecables

asteropecables Member

In answer to your question, Asterope recently rolled out right-angled cables with our 2nd generation product line, available in all lengths and configurations. You can also custom-design your cable by length, connector choice, etc. at www.asterope.com. I hope this is helpful.

Dean@asterope

10. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Can you elaborate on the claim that there is no difference in tone between different lengths of your cables as mentioned here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7IP5hmrbPE

It would seem the difference in capacitance across different lengths would refute this concept.

11. elvezrulz

elvezrulz Member

The correct answer is it matters if it makes you feel better. If David Gilmour changed all his cables to something cheaper, I doubt if anyone would catch it, but he might not feel the same thus he might not play the same, but I doubt it. Think of it this way, when you see a picture of some beautiful supermodel in tight jeans, are you looking at the jeans and wondering what brand they are? I doubt it.:horse

12. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

1) It's a very easy thing to test. Simply compare a loop of audio transmitted via an Asterope cable with a "non-directional" cable of the same total capacitance (important). Do a blind A/B with 10 comparison clips using the identical audio. I will wager significant money that no one can tell a difference let alone which is which.

2) Note, NO cable manufacturer that I know that makes such claims ever posts such an objective comparison.

3) I would not buy anything from any company that posts ad copy which reveals such a fundamental ignorance of basic electrical principles. Even if they are genuinely ignorant of such principles and not scamming, this calls into question their engineering and design overall.

Folks, the only audible difference (other than handling noise) in cables is due to differences in TOTAL capacitance (not capacitance per foot). The only mystery is why people are so reluctant to confirm this with an easy test.

It's also been show repeatedly in audiological testing that our aural memory for subtle differences (of the kind attributed to cables of similar total capacitance) of tonality, frequency response and distortion is about 1/4 of a second. So there is really no way at all of knowing if one cable sounds different than another unless you compare them in a situation where you can switch back and forth rapidly.

It's also well established that our hearing is very suggestible and responds strongly to confirmation bias. You hear what you want to hear.

n

Mr2D, scolfax, nbtrue and 10 others like this.
  13. brucesinger

brucesinger Member

I don't know if it's fact or fiction, or what the science is or isn't. And I'm pretty ambivalent about high end cables, but I did a side-by-side comparison at NAMM and heard a striking difference.
    Some hear a hi-fi quality in cables that others may call sterile. What is warm to one ear is muddy to others.
    In the end though, you can only try something and see if works for you.

14. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

This is just too much for my brain

macmax77 likes this.
  15. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

1) It is not that simple to replicate the interaction between a guitars pickup system (assuming we are using an old school passive pickups, not active ones). So such a test would not reflect use with a guitar

2) See #1

3) no problem there

However suggesting that total cap is the only factor that impacts perceived differences in cable...well...I've done enough testing with total cap of cables that are virtually identical to know I don't agree with that.

If one cables sounds "better" than another that is one thing...but cables of the same total cap with different materials can/do sound different when no buffers are in the chain....guitar straight to amp in my experience.

16. yakbass

yakbass Member

While I know the subject of guitar cables can cause a serious headache, but just a little time with several good guitars and a couple amps certainly opened my eyes to the differences cables make.

Get some examples (George Ls, Lyric, Asterope, and any others) and give yourself an education. I understand why folks pick a cable and stick with it while moving through other gear. Otherwise one could end up with a different cable for every guitar/amp combo he/she has.

Mike

17. doublee

doublee Member

Asterope will never catch on here until:

A) There is a wait list.

B) Give conflicting and vague delivery info.

C) They become unresponsive to communication.

A guaranteed recipe for success, at least here.

18. reekster

reekster Member

Not sure what Asterope is doing and I'd like to understand this.

I was present at a very interesting presentation from Beldin cable a few years back where their cable engineer told us that a CAT5e cable was the best audio cable you could buy which blew out all of my previous understandings of cables. Here's his statement sort of summed up....
    The best cable is one where both sides are perfect length, such as a Cat5e cable. His statement was that having a perfectly matched length allowed the noise cancellation to perfectly cancel out all noise and that 4 channels could be used over a CAT5e cable. If hadn't heard it from someone of his stature, I wouldn't have believed it. Do a search on the web for articles on this.

Am I not ->:nuts

boyce89976 likes this.
  19. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I recently bought a 10ft Asterope from a friend and it's a very good sounding cable. It was totally worth what I paid for it and I will probably buy a spare and maybe one for running direct into my Mac.

I have not tried comparing the cable directionally, as I seriously doubt there'd be any noticable difference. But, there is a definite difference when you compare this cable with Whirlwind or other value cables.

I don't know about their original claims and the cable is now being sold by Fishman. So, I'm not sure what if anything has changed. But, mine is a new studio version and it's a keeper.

20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

print this up on a little card and repeat it to yourselves as an inoculation to snake oil claims, you'll save all kinds of money on bogus audiophile products!