Astros' Luhnow, Hinch suspended for '20 season then fired

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by FlackBase, Jan 13, 2020 at 2:15 PM.

1. stratadp

stratadp Member

Pete Rose is in the hall of fame multiple times, just not as an individual player. He is in the record books multiple times. He has his chapter. That chapter also ends with him accepting a lifetime ban for violating the one rule thats written on every clubhouse wall. He also ruined Mario Soto to win bets. Kept guys on the bench or put guys in who had no business being in the game to win bets. He also lied about it for 15 years until he wanted to sell a book. Then he told some half truths. Rob Manfred tried to sit with him with the goal of reinstatement. Pete lied repeatedly.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-commissioner-manfred-denies-pete-rose/c-159618258

Jon C, eddie101 and jiml like this.
  2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Bob Kostas weighed in with the opinion that the Astros aren't forfeiting jack and the Dodgers will get screwed twice. Unfortunately, he's probably right.

big mike likes this.
  3. losangeles33

losangeles33 Supporting Member

time to put technology into play. A microphone in the catchers mask with an earpiece in the pitchers ear.

Mr. Kite, stratadp and Autoesq like this.
  4. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

5. Autoesq

Autoesq Member

He got caught because he hired a different agent before the draft. The agent that paid for his parents house and other items ratted him out for revenge.

Yep, the world wouldn't end. Baseball is better now with instant replay.

6. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I think they need to be stripped of their title.

or forfeit it to really do the right thing.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    Teleplayer and FFOGG like this.
  7. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Forgot about that part...what an idiot.

8. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

The Dodgers should be awarded WS Titles for both of those years ...No playoffs for Stros and Sawks for 5 years ....

5 million is a joke

QRSS likes this.
  9. Route234

Route234 Member

Betting on your own team is really the worst thing a guy has ever done as a Manager. It really truly is. Petes ban is justified, these guys got off way way too easy.

Trust me NO ONE in the gambling community will ever let Pete off the hook. With the millions bet on each game legally and illegally what Pete did is easily a crime worth of the death penalty. To this day we still have no idea how far he took it, but honestly you dont have a problem with a guy making illegal large money bets with crooks on his own team and games he managed in?

Jon C and stratadp like this.
  10. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

Being a RedSox fan I was hunted down and confronted by two irate yankees fans, good naturedly because there is a constant back and forth between us, and I told them that Cora needed to go yesterday and that both teams should lose all of their draft picks not just the first two. Cora should get a two year ban for his participation. Also, do I get a refund on my 2018 Red Sox WS t-shirt?

Wrmbrnr and eddie101 like this.
  11. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Not going to happen to Houston or Boston.

But it's okay to feel that way.

I feel like the White Sox should give the 2005 WS to the Astros because MLB forced the Astros to keep the roof open at Minute Maid.

I feel like the Brewers should be forced back to the American League just like their former owner and MLB commissioner forced the Astros to move to the AL.

I feel like the Astros should be awarded the 2008 Wild Card because the Brewers' former owner and MLB commissioner forced the Astros to play a HOME SERIES against the Cubs IN MILWAUKEE after Hurricane Ike, when they were in the middle of a 14-1 streak. The Brewers somehow magically ended up as the Wild Card winner.

And none of these things will ever happen either.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    gght and strike3 like this.
  12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Cheating is a little different, but I do agree where do you draw the line on this stuff?

If you were to take away the title, it opens up a whole bunch of past and future ramifications.

Bankston likes this.
  13. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

It’s tough since when I think of Louisville in NCAA basketball and how their 2013 championship was taken away, it doesn’t erase in my mind that they won it that year by beating teams on the court during the tourney. A bit apples-to-oranges comparing it to this situation with the Astros.

14. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

it is apples to oranges when you compare the NCAA or individual sports to professional team leagues.

I'm not aware of any precedent of a pro team having a title stripped. The 1919 Chicago White Sox threw the World Series. The record books still show the Cincinnati Reds as the champs.

I suspect significant litigation would occur if a pro league took that drastic action.

15. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

Cora and the Sox have parted ways, so long and enjoy your suspension. What an idiot.

16. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

Yankee and Dodger fans have reason to be pissed off but both Astro/Red Sox organizations fired the managers. And let’s not pretend all our teams are clean as a whistle. Was Giambi cheating when he did roids? Remember his 2 home runs off Pedro Martinez in the 03 ALCS game 7?

They really can’t go after players but at least the Astros and Red Sox are hoping for a clean slate by dumping GM and managers.

17. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

And let’s face it, there will be tons of wink wink, nudge nudge blacklisting of these guys like they always do To those that don’t tow the line

T92780 likes this.
  18. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Did everyone notice that Cora did not apologize in the statement he released concerning his firing as the Red Sox manager?

Even though his name was mentioned eleven times in the MLB cheating report I guess he thinks he didn't do anything wrong. :rolleyes:

T92780 likes this.
  19. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I didn't hear a real apology from Hinch.

20. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Do you remember Manny Ramirez?

Trandy likes this.