Asturias classical

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by ivers, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ivers

ivers Member

So, any Asturias owners here? I've just ordered a used Prelude C, which should be considerable step up from my cheap Admira.

2. nik

nik Member

I had a Model 60 that I bought new when I was in college. Sold it years ago though. Wonderful guitar for the money. I've lost touch with details on them over the years so I am not familiar with the newer ones. Are they still made by that same family in Japan?

3. ivers

ivers Member

Some info about them here:

http://www.asturias.jp/asturiasenglish/asturiasenglish.html

I've heard lots of great stuff about them regarding quality vs price, and consistency, so I'm obviously looking forwards to receiving mine... I'll get back to my impressions, although I can only compare with budget instruments, as I haven't played the high end stuff.

4. Abe

Abe Member

I have an Asturias John Mills model that I believe is from the early 80's. Its probably the best sounding classical I've ever heard. Believe it or not, my old teacher had a Thomas Humphrey guitar that he felt didn't sound as good as this one. I bought it at Maple Leaf Music in VT in the early 90's. The top had been replaced so I got it for a good price. I think that this newer top might be what makes this guitar so incredible. Its all solid wood. The top is German spruce, not sure what type of spruce the original was. Back and sides are The most beautiful looking (and sounding) Indian rosewood you'll ever see.

They are still made by the same small team of luthiers. They've grown a bit though. I think they have 15 now. It was 13 back in the day.

5. ivers

ivers Member

Damn... this is another league entirely from what I've played before. It's louder, more responsive to dynamics, more complex and rich in overtones, more balanced in the sound, more musical -- I can much easier find *me* in this instrument than in my previous ones, if that makes sense.

I also feel I approach this instrument much more as a listener than a player, because its sound is so rewarding.

Yup, It's goood :D