ASW Crossroads Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamison162, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Ok, been waiting for a while now to see if these pop up in a thread but have seen nothing. Who's got one, or two or four? Any reviews, clips? How do they compare to the Scumback M75? I've only tried the KTS70 and was really impressed by it.

http://www.austinspeakerworks.com/Crossroads-p-16139.html

"If you've had the opportunity to play a late 60's/early 70's 100 watt half stack with original “M” type speakers, then you should know what to expect from the Crossroads in in respect to the creamy tone of yesteryear versus the perhaps harder, more strident tone of today. It was two years before our ultra finicky testers where convinced...the original greenback tone is back, a musically menacing bark without the dreadful bite. Offering profound mids, smooth even bass, and all the highs without the hash, the Crossroads melts away surface harshness and frees us to plunge the warm depths spewing from our frets like masters from vinyl. Pushing deeper into the Crossroads' 70 Watts of power handling, the bold can transcend the mythical boundaries set by the legendary “25 Watter” where the purists sacrifice nothing as they delight in the Crossroads' authentic lower wattage tonal integrity."

[​IMG]

2. jamison162

3. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Member

I have not the adjectives to describe the speaker, but with my Germino LV 55 it kicks! Love it!

4. jamison162

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

It is great. has the sweet high end of the KTS -70 - but is more mid focused.

6. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

:agree

And I may get flamed for saying... But they don't have the annoying high end fizz of the Scumbacks. Now, I've never heard Jim's own, but the Webers had it, and I hated that about them.

The XRs are perfect for any Marshall style... I still like the ASW Bludo better with "D" style amps though.

7. jamison162

Highend chime and clarity of the KTS70 is a HUGE plus!!!

So being 70 watts, how do they compare eq wise to a standard g12m? Are they dark at all, warmer? The 65w Weber M75's were a little dark to me.

How's the mid texture and breakup?? Vintage voiced like the Scumbacks or more modern/tighter?

8. dbeeman

Brighter than the scumbacks, or maybe just more extended highs. Not dark. Let me get back on the G12M comparison
    voicing is very much like the KTS-70 (same cone IIRC)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  9. J.T. Guitar

I find them not as spiky in the highs as the KTS-70... smoother too. Don't get me wrong, I love the 70 too for more of a scooped Fender thing. The XRs are thicker in the mids, with a smoother (but not dark) top end. Not quite as focused as the ASW Bludo or Elegante however.

10. Laplacian

Laplacian Member

What does "focused" mean?

I would think Clarity as in upper-upper mids, but what do you mean by it?

11. mrfender

mrfender Gold Supporting Member

I would love to hear these compared to the new Scumbacks. Would it make sense to have a 212 cab with an ASW Crossroads and Scumback M75?

12. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

What is the impedance offered for the speaker? 8? 16? either one? Not specified in their website.

13. jamison162

I'm sure it would work but why not use the one you like best x 2.

14. dbeeman

Sure, I do this to compare speakers. 2 input jacks, so you can switch back and forth easily.

This is also good if you want to be able to tune the cab to a venue or guitar or amp.

15. jamison162

They offer both, pretty much standard for any speaker.

16. jamison162

Any of you guys have any clips or ability to shoot a quick and dirty demo?

17. J.T. Guitar

I would say clarity as well... The X-Roads are more "raw" sounding, whereas the Bludo is more smooth and refined. My two favorite speakers in the world, so neither is bad.

I would say if you want more raw Marshally tones with OD and some woody character in your cleans, go with the X-Roads. If you want smoother OD and slightly more BF clarity in your cleans, go with the Bludo.

18. jamison162

Talked to Ron today and ordered a CR. Forgot to ask if the cones were the same as the KTS70 but I doubt it. If so, the CR would have appeared on the scene around the same time I think. The KTS's have been around at least 2-3 yrs now and I think Ron spent the last two yrs prototyping the M style (as well as having some health issues).

19. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I've been going back and forth between an Elegante and a XR in my 5E3 for the last few months...gotta love the top end and compression of the Elegante but in the end the XR finally won out for best fit. It just worked for the circuit...that middy, loose, dirty 5E3 woody goodness that the XR just complimented better. I read an old post where Ron said he was working on a 10" and I've been begging Everett Duncan to get one out...I wonder if they've still got them in the works...?

20. J.T. Guitar

Nice... ASW makes the best speakers around IMHO. The XR has been my 1# speaker for some time. The Bludo is my favorite with "D" style amps, but I've been playing my Germino lately.