ASW KTS60's?

jamison162

Any new opinions/reviews on Austin Speaker Works KTS60's? Haven't read much on them lately, any new users? I gave the KTS70 a go several months ago but it was a tad too bright for me. Been wanting to try a 60.

aaron1433

My only complaint with them is they are a very loud speaker. Every bit as loud as a Vintage 30. I love the tone quality though, and I've never had any cone cry.

pula58

Gold Supporting Member
I had a 60 and a 70. Both are excellent.
I would have kept them but I am trying to pair-down on gear and I couldn't bear to get rid of my JBL's. Something had to go......

I never had any cone cry with the ASW's, and killer tone, and loud...all very good things!

Billion81

It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did.

I have the 70s and must say that they are not near as loud as my Delta Pros- Not even close. I have to pump the volume up a ton to get them at the same volume as the big mag DP12s.

Still- killer speakers. The 60 is much broader and a bit softer than the 70. To me the 70s are awesome and ultra tight and while the 60s are tight the mid spectrum on those speakers is much more open on it's mids.

Seegs

actually I much prefer the KTS 60 in a single speaker amp...it has more girth and is not muddy and the top end still very nice and pleasant...it's a very punchy speaker...

in a multiple speaker amp I found myself liking the KTS 70 a bit better because it just blends really nice with other speakers (2 of them in a 2X12" would too much of a good thing)...but the top end can be a bit sizzly probably due to the fact that it isn't fully broken in yet...with time and abuse that is starting to go away...

right now I have a 2X12" loaded with a KTS 60 and 70 mix and as they break in I am liking them very much with a JTM45 style amp powering them...a very raw and grainy tone that I like a lot...

I am going to try mixing a Celestion Gold and a Fane alnico with both the 60 and 70 to see if the anlnico + ceramic mix is more pleasing...

Chow,
Seegs

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
Had them both. ASW recommends the KTS 60 for more Marshall type amps and the KTS 70 for more Dumble ODS styled amps. This is a very accurate description of their individual strenghts.
Rene

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
Which ASW would be the better single 12" Speaker for a Higher powered Tweed 5e3 like a Tungsten Crema Wheat or Louis Electric Buster? I've been loving the Celestion G12H30 70th in the Tungsten. Never really loved that speaker before, but it's pretty ideal in the 20W 5e3 based Crema Wheat.

So now I'm wondering if maybe I should try an ASW KTS70 or KTS60?

MasterEvan07

Where's that buzzing coming from...?
Gold Supporting Member
I thought the ASW CrossRoads sounded quite sick, in a good way, in the Crema.

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
I thought the ASW CrossRoads sounded quite sick, in a good way, in the Crema.

But didn't you wind up preferring a G12H30 70th in your Crema? Not discounting the fact that the AWW Crossroads is a great speaker. Just looking for the best match. I have a G12H30 70th on the way. Tried the Scumback M75. it's very good, but my friends Crema wheat with G12H30 70th is convincingly better than with the M75.

So curious about the KTS70 or KTS60

MasterEvan07

Where's that buzzing coming from...?
Gold Supporting Member
My CR was having flutter problems in the bass, I hadn't tried the G12H30 and I found one for a steal...$80 instead of $219 is worth considering to try something new that I wanted. Would I like to get another CR? Absolutely.

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm a greenback guy all the way, but I actually liked the Scumback M75 better than the Crossroads...I think I would even go with a KTS70 over the XR.

I found these two to be different in character as well. Depending on application (and individual ears) one may be better than another.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom