Asymmetric neck shape: any serial production guitar to try?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Lele, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Lele

Lele Member

I'm considering to build a new guitar, and I'm interested in the asymmetrical design of the neck.
    Could you suggest any current guitar model that have this characteristic so that I hope I can find one to try (here in Italy)?

To be honest I have a (cheap Chinese) clone of a Strandberg. I like the concept of the asymmetrical design of the neck that is even progressive on this model. But at the end I don't like its big size specially from the middle of the neck to the heel, because it's really too big on the thin strings side. I just like it when I play chords near the first frets.
    So I'd like to try a more traditional asymmetrical design that is the same along all the neck, with the bigger size near the thicker strings.
    I'd like to understand if I love or hate this special neck shape design...

rusty likes this.
  2. redbrick

redbrick Member

USA Les Paul Standards have had an asymmetrical for a while now.

DIECHEATO likes this.
  3. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

Musicman Axis or any of their EVH models have it...really cool necks...pretty much the same thickness/depth all the way up!

Lele likes this.
  4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Suhr Modern series also has an asymmetrical profile.

Just remember there's no standard asymmetrical shape so, for example, the three necks mentioned so far feel almost nothing alike.

Lele and Tone_Terrific like this.
  5. DIECHEATO

DIECHEATO Member

2008 to 2010 Les Paul Standard. I have a 2010 and I have actually played a 2011, they were suppose to stop in 2010 and some spilled into 2011.

6. Lele

Lele Member

Thanks to all of you for your information!

As far as I have found (now, after your suggestion) all guitars from Suhr have symmetrical necks, unless it's a custom order. Well, this is what I read somewhere.

Musicman are not easily available in Italy, on the contrary it seems it is easier to find the EVH Gear guitars made in Mexico and named "Wolfgang" that have a neck with a "Wolfgang® Backshape"; I suppose it's the asymmetrical shape.
    I'll try to find it! Thanks for the suggestion!

I understand well, but I hope to find at least one sample just to have a better idea if I like it.
    Playing the Standberg-clone, I realize that I should give an opportunity more to this promising design feature.

rusty likes this.
  7. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Kendrick made one for a bit.

8. Lele

Lele Member

I have found a shop with some EVH Gear guitars... but unfortunately I have found out that the "made-in-Mexico" models don't have the asymmetrical neck shape but a regular round profile.
    It seems it's really impossible to try at least one type of asymmetrical neck shape just to realize if it can be nice for me.
    Well, it's clear that design it's not popular at all.

9. Lele

Lele Member

I found it!!!!!
    In a guitar shop (here in Italy) I found the very expensive Music Man Axis Super Sport.
    It features an asymmetrical neck, a "fixed" asymmetry, unlike the "progessive" one of Strandberg guitars.
    So I tried it. It's a rather good guitar, and I bet, considering its price.
    BUT I think now I can say I don't like the asymmetrical necks.
    Even if the asymmetry of this Music man guitar is small (not very marked and only on the upper side of the neck, close to low E and A strings), and even if it is maybe also a matter of getting used to it, I prefer a standard neck shape.

Well, it's true what @testing1two said above that every builder will have different shape and size of asymmetry, but I don't think I will run the risk ordering a custom neck with this feature.
    I have to say anyway that the very few first frets of Standberg (with its squared and pronounced asymmetry) are very comfortable for chords, but from the 5th fret or so I'd prefer a standard thin neck.

Last note for anybody looking at this thread in the future: I guess that a proper and perfect thumb position could benefit from an asymmetrical neck. On the contrary who (like me) has a slightly less than perfect thumb placement, sometimes even touching the low E string, may prefer a standard round neck shape.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  10. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

Try a Peavey/EVH Wolfgang before you make up your mind. That is the epitome of asymmetrical IMO.

Or try a *strandberg with endurneck lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another different taper (not asymmetrical) you might want to try based on your comments is the Peavey Omniac Jerry Donahue sig. It has a comfortable for chording D taper up to about the 12th fret, then a V taper after for soloing. The neck also has a compound radius of 7.5" to 12"+ to also assist in easy chording yet soloing without fretting out on big bends.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  11. stratamania

stratamania Member

The better term to use for what you are asking about is a multi-scale neck.

Asymmetric when speaking of a neck is used to describe a neck profile, not its scale length.

12. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Exotic carves are asymmetrical.

There's a difference between these and just a compound radius.

13. jaguarillo68

jaguarillo68 Member

I have a Gretsch new Yorker acoustic that has an asymmetrical v shaped neck. Very nice.
    [​IMG]

14. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

OP is asking about neck profile, not scale length.

15. stratamania

stratamania Member

It would seem so after reading it again. Probably the mention of Strandberg as many of their guitar necks are multiscale.

16. Lele

Lele Member

I really meant only the neck rear shape, and the asymmetrical design that you can get when you order for example a custom neck at Warmoth (Wolfgang model) or at Best Guitar Parts.
    The multiscale is another matter and I have it in my Strandberg clone, but it's not what I'm interested in now; what's more the usual custom builders doesn't even offer this option, but oh well, for now a 25" scale length (fixed) is a good compromise for me.

17. stratamania

stratamania Member

Ok got it. The Suhr Modern was mentioned earlier and they have asymmetrical profiles as standard, not a custom option as stated.

18. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Correct, I’m not a big fan so it would be a custom order since as has been stated, there are so many variations.

Lele likes this.
  19. Lele

Lele Member

Well, all the information I have found say that all Suhr guitars have symmetrical neck shape (they call it "elliptical" that is anyway a symmetrical shape), except for custom guitars in case.
    But no problem; as I said above, after trying the Music Man Axis Super Sport (with its slight asymmetrical neck shape) I think I will give up the asymmetrical neck feature. It seems it's not my cup of tea.
    I'm always very curious to learn and try new ideas, but sometimes I go back to traditional choices too. :)

20. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

The Fender SRV Signature Strat neck has an asymmetrical profile.