Asymmetric neck shape: any serial production guitar to try?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Lele, Apr 22, 2019.

1. stratamania

stratamania Member

The elliptical is a profile and not even across the neck in shape but the thickness is not greater on one side than the other. If the thickness is also a deciding factor on it being called asymmetrical then that is correct, which is how Suhr seems to define it. The shape is still not even however so lacks symmetry of shape hence my personal view is, therefore, it is asymmetric by definition of the normal use of the word.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  2. Lele

Lele Member

Not to be pedantic, but to avoid any confusion for other forumites, the asymmetry of a neck is - as far as I know - always intended on the crosswise shape of the neck. So if you cut the neck somewhere in the middle you can check its rear shape. If it is regular (no matter if V- or U- or C- shaped or any other shape) with the same thickness and shape on the low E and on the high E string side then you have a symmetrical neck. If not you have an asymmetrical neck.
    Warmoth for example shows here an asymmetrical shape versus a standard symmetrical shape (white line).
    [​IMG]

Along the neck, lenghtwise, on the contrary the shape is less important, even if many necks will have different thickness (on the first fret vs 12th fret for example) and even different shapes (more rounded near the first fret and more squared near the neck heel).

3. stratamania

stratamania Member

Yes, it would be via that plane, whether it is elliptical like the Suhr Moderns or Asymmetrical.

4. Lele

Lele Member

I will correct my equivocal statement.
    The lengthwise neck shape isn't important for the definition of symmetrical or asymmetrical neck profile.
    BUT it may be VERY important for the "player comfort". I'm finding out that even 1 mm difference among the various neck shapes and size can really make a major difference and how comfortable the guitar is for me!