At last !! a new Santana album that rawks !!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SeeMoore, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

His version of Fat Bottomed Girls with Justin Bieber is off the chain.

2. Galo

Galo Member

I quote..."the best guitar work he has done in a long time"

Am I glad he jumped the shark as some of u might say...finally I get to listen to some serious guitar playing. FWEIW.
    Adios

3. ak301

ak301 Member

As a life long Def Lep fan I was suprised to hear Santana was doing Photograph on this album.
    I've just listened to it on You Tube and to be honest his guitar playing doesn't really do much for me on it.
    I dont like his tone, some of the fills and the main solo seem to just meander along and the arrangement looses the flow of the song in places.
    I guess I'm too close to the playing on the original to be positive towards something so different, however that singer sounds awesome.
    I'm not very familiar with him here in the UK but his really voice suits it.

Plus the opening riff doesn't sound right with just one guitarist playing it.

As for the debate about Santanas legacy, he's one of THE guitarists in the history and development of electric lead guitar. Sure he's not what he was but some of his early stuff is sublime.

4. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Yup. I, Abraxas and III are all essential. But people forget that back then, Santana was a band, and that they were an enormous boot up the arse of rock music, especially rhythmically. Michael Shrieve was/is incredible.

5. stevie2600

stevie2600 Supporting Member

For all the naysayers, it could have been worse. Just wait for the album of Children's Songs:

6. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Yesterday, I was finally able to listen to the first 7 songs on the CD straight through. The music isn't horrible and I like Carlos's phrasing here and there but seriously, the only reason he can get away with this is his storied past. Otherwise, who the heck would buy or listen to this? :confused:

8. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

The same people who pay good money to go see once-famous, where-are-they-now bands that have exactly 1 original band member.

9. std22

std22 Supporting Member

So far I like it just fine. Nice to hear some rock for awhile. Just chill.

10. doomedfuzz

doomedfuzz Member

I was driving back from my grandmother's funeral last weekend listening to the Classic Vinyl station on my satellite radio in the car and they kept playing tracks from the album all weekend, I heard probably 5-6 of them and they were just horrible. Photograph was really, really bad. Someone said it sounded like a wedding cover band, I thought the same thing! Pass on this one and I give it a great big fail - and I am a Santana fan usually.

11. isfahani

isfahani Member

A google search for this turned up nothing. I am very very disappointed.

12. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Please tell me you're joking. Justin Bieber doing "Fat Bottomed Girls"? Just thinking about it makes me want to puke. Freddy Mercury would surely roll in his grave.

13. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Gold Supporting Member

I bought the CD yesterday and have listened to half of it a couple times. When you're at his level and doing covers I think at the end of the day you have to say you've added something that maybe wasn't there or at least offered a cool variation. I think he did that with "Riders on the Storm, "While My guitar Gently weeps", and the ACDC tune. the Cream and Led Zep tunes were pure wankery, sounded like he was just jamming with a cover band. The Stones tune and that song Photograph were real light in the britches. I still love the guy, and he got my money again as he's been doing for 40 years or so now but, let's put this stuff behind us and start working a real collection of songs with some guys that will challenge a bit.

14. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I was just kidding. There was a thread on another message board where there were lots of posts postulating what else could have been on this album.

Other possibilities:

Ice Cream Man w/ Toby Keith

Move On Up (feat. 311)

Kick Out the Jams - (featuring the Jonas Brothers)

Everything Zen - (featuring Kate Bush)

Have You Never Been Mellow (featuring Wyclef Jean and Macy Grey)

15. monty

monty Member

I bought the CD, but was reading Guitar World and he talks about doing "Fortunate Son" but I dont hear it on my CD.
    Anybody know if it was just on a special edition or something?

16. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

I kind of liked that actually... :hide

17. thenewpollution

thenewpollution Member

You forgot the screaming step and a half bend at the end of that "phrase."

18. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I finally watched my TIVO of him performing on the Tonight Show last night with India.Arie and it was the worst performance I've seen of him. Even my wife said it was horrible! That tune just wasn't right in any way. He (and she) did nothing for that song, except a disservice.

Now, I've loved Santana long time (I saw him at Woodstock and with Janis Joplin) but this was just a disgrace and I'd been hoping to actually buy the album.

I think I'll pass...

19. Galo

Galo Member

maybe Better http://www.lopeztonight.com/episode_recaps_and_highlights/santana_and_india_arie_weep.php

20. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Member

Overall, I find it to be a horrible choice of material. Photograph... Back in Black.... Dance the Night Away... Smoke on the Water.... Seriously??? This looks like the setlist of songs that I never want to hear again from a bad 70's-80's cover band.

I'm a long time Carlos fan, and I love his playing (even if he has been playing the same licks for 20 years). Come on Carlos, you can do better!