At Last! A wireless MIDI guitar pickup that outdoes the axon!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by webe123, Feb 5, 2012.

1. webe123

webe123 Member

Well Fishman FINALLY has come out with the Fishman triple play...it is a wireless MIDI guitar controller that was made by the same guy that invented the axon.....Andreas Seleazy! And...it is going to sell with a USB reciver UNDER THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!

Here is a quick video of what it can do as shown at namm 2012...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nKhlmJ4EeI

It is supposed to have 1,000 times the processing power of the axon unit, making errors in tracking a lot less than even found in the axon.

Of course, the tracking speed is exactly the same as that of the axon, that is limited by the laws of physics.

Still, a great deal for someone wanting to get into MIDI guitar for cheap.

They are going to basically make this for people who have computers, though with the right converter, you could use it live also. But later on Fishman said they are going to introduce a breakout box for live playing.

2. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

I'll be looking for this for sure-

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

Very cool! Thanks for the heads up. :)

4. krueger

krueger Member

I like the drum part!! I mean really, if I could use the guitar for this I might eventually record over a drum part which isn't a built in pattern (finally)!

5. Chris Beaver

Chris Beaver Member

This looks very impressive It appears to track lightning fast with no glitching here

6. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Thanks for the link Webe123, this looks interesting, I had the Axon for many years, Wireless Midi guitar controller is the way to go!!

7. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Fantastic! Love to see advances in MIDI/Synth guitar. The only issue I have with a wireless system is it introduces a battery into the equation which I'm not a fan of.

8. LarryOM

LarryOM Guest

1. The left channel is straight guitar sound. The right channel is synth sound. Listen to the left and right channels individually and you'll notice that some notes are missing in the right channel.
    2. A lot of it is sweep picking where the lo-E string is picked once per sweep. Even the GR-55 can keep up with that. Tracking speed on the GR-55 becomes an issue when you try to play 2 or more notes in a row on the lo-E string. In the video, he always slows down when he's playing 2 or more successive notes on the lo-E string so it's hard to tell from the video how fast the tracking is on the lower notes.

9. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

I agree, some notes are a bit off on the synth, do you think the Roland GR-55 can give you similar results to this playing a Midi synth module?, Not it's internal sounds. Most Rolands are very good playing the internal sounds, but all the ones I've played and owned(almost of the Rolands GTR synths built) weren't so good when using it's midi out.

10. LarryOM

LarryOM Guest

I've only had the GR-55 a short time and haven't yet tried it with external MIDI synths so I was mainly referring to its tracking with internal synth sounds. I remember trying the GR-09 with external MIDI and it wasn't very good but, but it wasn't the GR-55. And I haven't tried the Fishman so I have no way of comparing the specific things that you mentioned.

11. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

How much will it cost though?

12. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

From op "it is going to sell with a USB reciver UNDER THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!"

13. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

From what the op says it's built by the same guy who designed the Axon, I owned the original Axons, and the Terratec AX 100 MK II version for a long time, and always compared them to whatever new Roland synths, and always found the Axon much better for anything Midi out, internal sounds and tracking of the Rolands was always very good too, just not Midi out, Axon built in sounds were pretty bad in my opinion, so you really needed to use the Midi out.. :)
    This new unit seems to perform similar to the Axon, so it could be a really nice value, if the price is really under 300 bucks!

14. hanales

hanales Member

For the record that video is from 2010. If anyone can evaluate the NAMM videos that would be cool, Id like to hear what the experts think of the final product. I really really really want one of these.

15. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

:| Are there any affordable clip on wired guitar<-> Midi pickups?

16. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I'm really excited about this as well, except for a few issues:

1) Personally I hate having a box hanging off my guitars. I hope they come with a version that can be permanently installed inside a guitar.

2) It would also be nice if they have a version that will work with a guitar with a 13 pin output (such as a Ghost equipped guitar or a Godin).

3) Heard they were going to release one that would work with external midi sound modules. That would be very nice indeed.

If all this hits for under $300 street, it may be a complete game changer. Watch out, Roland...

17. randombastage

randombastage Member

At the $300 price point, with wireless instead of the horrible 13 pin Roland connectors to have to suffer, this is well worth it even if it only matches Roland's tracking.

18. webe123

webe123 Member

Well I hate to tell you, but the axon is WAY above rolands tracking and yes, that INCLUDES the GR 55! The GR 55 even with it's improvements and internal sounds, still does not track as well on the two lower strings as an axon unit does!

But what makes this better is that it has a processor that is supposedly according to the creator, 1,000 times more powerful than the chip in the axon mark II unit. The tracking speed is the same, but the errors in the tracking are now greatly reduced.

So yes it will be worth it.

But someone asked if they were going to include a 13 pin option and unfortunately, a guy at NAMM supposedly asked that question and posted on another guitar forum that they said they were DEFINATELY NOT going to a 13 pin route.

So bummer for guys like me, who have a $1,300.00 Godin ACS SA classical guitar with 13 pin input that I like to use. Still for three hundred bucks and it's ability to mount on with magnets, I might try it on my classical or just get another dedicated guitar. I don't know at this point. But I will probably get one that that price point for sure.

19. adamquek

adamquek Member

Magnetic pickups do not work with nylon strings

20. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

...this is one of the things that nobody argue about! ;)