At what age are you all thinking you may be too old to play out in a band?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by C-4, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

There are tons of guys your age still playing here in California

84superchamp likes this.
  2. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

I have followed this thread with some interest..
    First let me say I’m sneaking up on my very late 60’s. I’ve also been playing since I was 13.
    Age is only relevant to a point but it also very much depends on what type of music you are playing..

Jazz guys (i.e Les Paul, Metheny, etc) Blues guys (BB, Guy, etc), Country/Bluegrass guys( Monroe, Doc Watson, Scruggs) sure.. play until you decide not to..

Rock and Roll/Rock guys.. there is a shelf life involved.
    I happen to agree with the posters wife that stated “it’s embarrassing”.
    With the possible exception of the Stones no one wants to see a 70yo
    Playing a bar at 2am with a bunch of 30 somethings doing cover songs.
    I understand the egos involved here but honestly have you taken video of yourself doing that? Do you look even slightly out of place?
    I’m sure I’ll get hammered for this but at least think about it instead of having a knee jerk reaction..

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

4. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I'm 62 and hope I can keep playing for a long, long time.
    I just left a band in Texas, pedal steel player was 75. And he was playing with 3 or 4 bands. He kept saying he needed to cut back some, but it never happened. :)

C-4 and Steve Hotra like this.
  5. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I’m turning 63 in a few days and still get invites. I play in country, Americana and gospel bands.
    And I actually get to sing lead in a few church services.

I started playing pedal and lap steel, and that’s opened up a few doors that were closed before. Not that I am great, but I have a strong chord theory background. And I’m taking a few lessons from a steel player in his 70’s.

As long as it’s fun and I can mentally/ physically go, then I’m going to continue.

6. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I bought a steel years ago, got a little ways with it, then the kid was born. Put it in the garage, I didn't have time for much regular guitar let alone a new instrument. 3 years ago, I got it out, said "learn it or sell it" so I got serious. Not great, but I did my first steel gig Friday. Well, I played mostly guitar, played steel on maybe a half dozen. It was fun and for the most part sounded ok. Really enjoy learning it. Also may have picked up a gig playing bass, not sure, I still have to audition. Last I checked, there isn't much on TV so might as well keep working on music stuff. :)

Thumpalumpacus and Steve Hotra like this.
  7. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

All things considered, I don't think about that. I am 57. Although I have been a working musician for awhile I am more into "playing my instrument" and "practicing a lot" than "being in a band". But since I have spent a lot of time practicing and studying music I kind of think that I should be playing with somebody somewhere and getting paid for it. As I've gotten older and more experienced I have become more selective about who I play with and where I play. But I reckon I will be a working musician as long as I can stand upright and physically and mentally do it.

8. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

Sorry, but this is missing a very necessary component; context.

You're never gonna find an age where everyone agrees you should stop (or start ftm) anything.

84superchamp and Bluzeboy like this.
  9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't much matter to me, but sure does seem to matter to most bands I could otherwise be playing with. Nobody wants to play with grandpa. Whatever "grandpa" really means.

Bluzeboy likes this.
  10. Zandalf

Zandalf I don't remember

"The present day composer refuses to die!" Edgard Varese

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  11. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I'm going to be 54 soon. My buddy and I have been the core of the same band for over fifteen years. I remember him saying when we were in our thirties that we would be too old by 50 and would have to hang it up. We both realize now how silly that notion was. We are healthy and better than ever. I have never had someone tell me I am too old to play. I have had people remark that they are quite surprised that someone who looks like me plays so well. I'm the local funeral home owner and look like it.

84superchamp and Steve Hotra like this.
  12. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Pretty much right on, but you can keep playing rock, just not in the typical bar. We’ve got a couple of spots that have an older crowd that supports us. Those gigs end at 11. A couple of other restaurants that have big bar areas love us. Those gigs are 6:30-10.

We’ve also transformed the band and can play country/dance gigs as well. There’s lots of those opportunities around, so we take advantage of them. That won’t work for everybody. Three of us have played a lot of country in the past, and the other guitarist is great on fiddle and steel.

Maintaining a big song list is a lot of work (well over 100), but if you want to keep playing just find your audience and venues and cater to them.

84superchamp and Bluzeboy like this.
  13. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Supporting Member

I've observed, at least in the Northern Jersey area, that many bar bands are middle aged guys playing classic rock or 70's & 80's songs to middle aged bar patrons. I think that's because WE grew up that way. There wasn't as much to do in our early 20's so we went to bars to see bands, and as we hit our 50's we still kinda think that way. Humans are creatures of habit, so on a night out we revert back to the activities and music we loved.

I'm sure 20 years from now, people in their 50's will go to tamer versions of raves and DJ parties.

so my long winded answer to the OP, play as long as you want! There's still lots of us out there that wanna hear what you have to play.

84superchamp likes this.
  14. standard24

standard24 Member

The guy who runs the weekly jam I attend told me yesterday that people often ask about me... He said they say "Who'd the old guy who plays so well?"

I'm not so old...

15. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Returning to the thread to post this:

I talked about it with Mrs X. Her take is, if you're fit and well enough to lug your gear around and play for a few hours, it ain't a problem, no matter your age.

rickt likes this.
  16. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

Not so much age but physical condition. One of my best friends had to give playing in his late 40's due to arthritis. John Mayall is still playing and schlepping equipment in his 70s. I expect to keep going until rigor mortis sets in.

17. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Anything about playing out should not be knee-jerk after becomming AARP eligible, it takes some consideration.
    And in my experience, i never paid much attention to the crowd, just concentrated on my performance. I would say the crowd is not part of the picture unless they are yelling insults or throwing stuff.....get off the stage.
    :brick

Bluzeboy likes this.
  18. Guitarist64

Guitarist64 Member

Question: CAN you stop?......didn't think so.

84superchamp likes this.