At What Age Did You Give Up Motorcycling and Why?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jarrett, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

you

2. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Hehe, your perceptions have led you astray in this instance :D

Bob Maximus likes this.
  3. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

Started on dirt bikes in my early teens. Got my first and only street bike at 16. Participated in a bike vs. car accident that year that I walked away from somehow. Quit after that and haven't returned. The roads and drivers have only gotten crazier around here in the 25 years since.

4. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I've ridden motorcycles since the early 70's. Started with a Trail 50. I started riding street bikes around 1980 and stopped riding street bikes after a wreck(hit a dog) in 2001. My girlfriend(now wife) was hurt pretty bad. I've owned mostly Hondas and Harleys. Still ride dirt bikes, though.

I miss street bikes, but not enough to assume the risk that has only gotten worse since we went down in 2001. Plus my wife sort of forbids it. I do occasionally ride a friend's road bike, but that doesn't really count.

5. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

not yet. Just put fresh tires on the Road King, along with a full lube change, ordered a new helmet, and got a new mesh jacket, mesh gloves & a cooling vest recently which came in handy on the 1000+ mile ride I took two weekends back.
    My riding friends are thinking about riding to Sturgis this year. One of them has a vacation home 20 miles from Sturgis so we'd be staying there. Long ride from Texas in August but it's a great trip there and back.
    If we don't do Sturgis, looks like our B plan is to head for Tn, hit some great BBQ places in Memphis and Nashville, stop by Gruhn's, and maybe take the Gibson tour, if they're still doing that, & ride the Dragon.

6. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

I still ride a bit but not much anymore. I started in 1972 at age 12. I’ve Never had a day without at least one bike ever since then.

I bought a Jeep has a spare vehicle that I leave the doors and tops off all the time now and I guess I’m just used to drive it more and it’s taking way from time I would’ve written the bike in the past.

I would like to stick a sidecar on my bike. It’s more popular these days for older guys to turn Them in to trikes. But I don’t like trikes I like a sidecar much better

7. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Not going to stop ... just bought a new Triumph Bonneville T120

Ride till you die

8. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

:eeks

Bobbybigbucks and AZChilicat like this.
  9. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

So far:

Decided Too Risky After Riding for Years (had kids/cell phones/no wreck) - 15
    Got Boring/Lost Interest/Other Interests - 9
    Old Age/Unrelated injuries/Aging Reflexes - 6
    Had Wreck as Adult - 6
    Couldn't Afford to Keep - 4
    Got Scared/Wrecked Riding as a Child - 3
    Lost License - 1

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Wheelies = 1

:D

Wolfgangsta and shane8 like this.
  11. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

Well, I just lost all of my testicles in a 3 wheeler accident...and if I can get some testosterone replacement going I might make a comeback. (age 44)

jiml and Moxsam like this.
  12. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Just lift weights.
    You'll grow new testicles.

Moxsam likes this.
  13. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

started at 19 stopped at around 46. Stopped due to idiot drivers, i never had an accident and i felt my time was coming due to a huge increase in close calls. I stopped before my # came up. I still have the street bike, im probably going to sell it and get a dirt bike. Kinda crazy but its safer that being on the street.

14. MarkL8

MarkL8 Member

Rode my whole life from childhood was blessed to travel over most of the US. Three years ago the writing was on the wall to hang it up both my wife and I. Effin cell phone people and no laws enforced to stop them. BTW Im up to four friends lost due assholes driving and using their cell. Nothing leads me to think it will change. Oh and spare me the BS cell phones are not a danger when driving...…. tell that to my friends children.

Lt Dak likes this.
  15. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Rode all through college, about 10K km through Europe, then 1st year in med school. One fine summer day when stopped behind 2 cars in front of me, a pickup truck plows into me, destroying my back forever, among other things. If anyone had been on the back, they would have been lunchmeat for crows. I never got on a bike again. That was 1969. Since then, having been an ER doc for ~30 years, I've seen too much of what can happen when you don't give up riding. I know, my experience is skewed and I've been wrecked with the harsh realities of a fragile existence. My life......

jon

jiml likes this.
  16. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

been thinking about starting at 51. bad idea?

17. Spec

Spec Member

I quit riding... road bicycles after starting to ride street motorcycles.

I was an avid roadie bicyclist and never gave traffic much of a thought as it whizzed by.
    After I started riding motorcycles on the street I felt really vulnerable on a bicycle.

I always tell my wife when I'm old and decrepit get me on a fast bike! No way I'm wasting away in some nursing home wearing a diaper.

18. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Around 7 months but damn I enjoyed my motorboating till then

Oh wait.

Seriously only rode a few times. Not for me.

I prefer the slightly safer doors and top of Jeep fun.

Lt Dak likes this.
  19. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

If serious, probably so. I started at 47. Can't find anyone that thinks it was a good idea.

Really depends what you'll be doing with it and where, it seems.

If you want to get a super sport and lane split at 100 mph in LA traffic, maybe not a good idea.

If you want to get a little dual sport bike and putt around empty forest roads, maybe its fine.

It's so weird you said that. I feel the same way now.

19,000+ road miles on a bicycle in the last 5+ years and I just didn't worry at all about cars whizzing past me a couple of feet away.

Now after riding the motorcycle for a couple months, the bicycle seems much more dangerous to me on the street than it did before.

I feel like on a motorcycle, at least I have the option to escape a bad situation where on the bicycle, I'm just completely at the mercy of the car.

It's weird how those perceptions change.

Spec and teefus like this.
  20. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I frequently wonder about this. Like the idea of cops thinking most people are criminals. I wonder if ER workers think every motorcycle rider is doomed just due to what they see regularly.

Roughly .0015% of the population dies riding a motorcycle every year. That's means 99.9985% of the population doesn't die riding a motorcycle each year. But to someone that works in an ER, it might seem like millions of people die due to motorcycle crashes annually.

Heart disease 631,636 1 in 6
    Cancer 562,875 1 in 7
    Smoking-related deaths 433,000 1 in 9
    Stroke 135,952 1 in 28
    Obesity-related 112,000 1 in 35
    Heavy drinking 79,000 1 in 49
    Breast cancer 40,598 1 in 95
    Prostate cancer 29,093 1 in 133
    Fall 22,631 1 in 171
    Assault 18,361 1 in 211
    Brain tumor 13,000 1 in 298
    Car accident 12,772 1 in 303
    Skin cancer 8,461 1 in 457
    Pedestrian accident 5,958 1 in 649
    Motorcycle accident 5,024 1 in 770
    Bicycle accident 820 1 in 4,717
    Airplane accident 550 1 in 7,032
    Flu 411 1 in 9,410
    Lightning 46 1 in 84,079
    Legal execution 40 1 in 96,691
    Earthquake 26 1 in 148,756
    Fireworks discharge 10 1 in 386,766

Spec, bluesdoc, Thwap and 1 other person like this.