At what $$ amount would you start asking for a signature??

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by flatfinger, Feb 27, 2015.

1. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Saw a thread recently where a guy was complaining that stuff he had bought was being sent signature required :eeks:eeks

At what $$ level is it reasonable to do so ?? At what $$ level do you start to insure stuff that you ship ???

TX for any input/browbeating.....

:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Insurance is always avoid choice. Signature is dependent on the individual transaction. If the item is larger than a basic mailbox, I ask the buyer which shipping method is preferred and if there is a preference for signature.
    I like to ship as much as I can USPS, and then default to UPS since there is a AAA discount.
    Many buyers prefer no sig, even on large items because they don't want to miss out on a day because the delivery person has Murphy's Law time management.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I insure everything over $50 and get a signature on everything.

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

^ My lower limit for insurance is $100 (because it's automatic up to that) and I require signatures too. I've had too many $300 remotes disappear into thin air or left on porches in plain view of whoever is walking by...I don't take that risk anymore. If the receiver wants, he can sign the door tag that will be left on his door asking for a sig and UPS/FedEx will leave it the next day. I have to cover my ass. If they want to take the risk, fine as long as I have proof it was signed for.

5. MrX

MrX Member

As do I.

6. MrX

MrX Member

I do as well.

7. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

i never insure or ask for signature

if you have a good postperson sigs are fine, otherwise it can be a big PITA
    for the buyer.

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Paypal requires you to do so at $250+. I insure everything but that is my limit for signatures.

9. 335guy

335guy Member

I insure and require a signature on items valued at over $50, to protect myself ( the seller ) in case the package goes missing for some reason, or an unscrupulous buyer attempts to deny they ever got the package. I notify the buyer a signature will be required for delivery. It's up to them to arrange to get it signed. I don't know the person or the neighborhood where my shipment is being delivered, so IMO, it's prudent to get insurance and a signature.