At what point do you consider yourself a talentless hack and give up your dream?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Yr Blues, Nov 17, 2018.

1. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

I achieved my dream of becoming a talentless hack years ago. Keep reaching for the stars! :anon

Sacrifice and NorCal_Val like this.
  2. WordMan

WordMan Member

I started playing in part due to a friend I met when I was 12 or so. He was in bands that got buzz in HS and ended up doing Bay Area gigs opening for Cheap Trick and Ted Nugent. So I never had illusions that I could be a pro relative to him.

We’re still good friends 40+ years later. He didn’t make it, but plays in a high-end cover band.

I played in a variety of Dad Bands and now jam with a drummer, playing hard rock Whites Stripes style.

No complaints.

3. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Never. Ever. I followed my dream from a young lad and realized it. Labelling yourself as a 'talentless hack' speaks to your lack of self esteem IMO. Everyone has talent, the field varies wildly as to the particulars.

I'm 51 and still live my dream. Every f*cking day! I advise you all do the same!

John Alexander and Lef T like this.
  4. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

My close friend, Lumpy the Drummer, is leaving town. He spent the last 11 years caring for his Mom. She passed away a 96 a month ago. He met a nice gal at Match.com. She is happy to have him.

We got a great pedal steel player. I had to up my game considerably.

Now I have to sing as well as hack on guitar while I try and drag another drummer out of retirement. At 63, I’m not giving up quite yet.

Befuddled and Lef T like this.
  5. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

If the music is what matters, I would advise focusing on what you can do, to play moreso what and how you want; and enjoy yourself more.

Then do that. And you will have that. That's at least more than a dream.

Nothing is stopping you from being the musician you want to be. Or in that direction anyway. I know I'm a perfectionist, and will never be the musician I want, so I settle for going in the general direction, even if the current pushes me backwards, lol.

I would say the enjoyment of music is a large part of the talent. It's a feedback loop between your enjoyment, your ears, and your hands. The ears is listening to yourself and others. The hands is playing and technique. The enjoyment is the important part. Do whatever you have to do to enjoy it the most.

6. Simto

Simto Member

7. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

I only ever wanted to make the sounds I heard coming from my radio and after 30 years I'm almost there! :D

8. tibone

tibone Member

Around.. 25 years ago? Something like that.
    I was in between bands.. and i realized that not a single person wanted ME, in their bands.
    Most dudes i've played with didn't mind my playing, but rarely ever i was complimented in my playing, and when i found myself between bands, no-one made a point of getting ME, the bands might be looking for a player, but nobody thought: "yeah, tibone is the guy i want to play". I got into another band after that, (i applied) and already knowning the truth.. i wasn't special or remarkable.
    and that's okay. Music is my therapy and i still play everyday and record a lot of songs, even if i'm the only one who is listening.

9. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

I'm moving in the other direction. I always wanted music to be a hobby. Working an accounting or engineering job was my dream. Life had other plans as blindness keeps me from holding a full time accounting job. So im stay at home dad. I do some accounting work from home. But i spend 3 hours a day putting together a 1 man show with a guitar, keyboard, boomerang looper and vocal harmonizer. Im learning a ton of new skills, so i figure it will be another few months till it's ready to my satisfaction. So i guess most of my income will come from music, at which time I'll be a professional musician.

10. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

When I wake up in the morning.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Did the OP give up, yet?

12. kbraker51

kbraker51 Member

13. BobK

BobK Member

Hang on to your dream. Go back to sleep.

14. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

This makes me sad that you were unappreciated. I try to give compliments with merit all the time. Life is hard enough and competitive as it is.

15. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Never. It is a path. You are on it or you are not.

guitarjb44 likes this.
  16. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Talentless hack? Not necessarily.
    Give up the dream? Never really pursued it.

Never in the right place at the right time and never had the money to get to the right places to meet the right people.

I also started a family at a young age. I knew my odds were very slim at that point.

17. BigSB

BigSB Member

If by "dream", you meant "fame and financial success according to the industry", then I've never dreamed.

If by "dream" we mean "I define myself and my art. I work to sharpen my skills and my focus on expressing myself creatively, and in compelling ways", then it's not a dream. It's what I do every damned day.

Your talent will open every door it is powerful enough to open. No matter how significant the opportunity, no matter how elite the stage, if you've got the goods AND you get the shot, the door will open.

If, and ONLY IF, you can look yourself in the face in the mirror and say you gave your 100% best effort, and you have nothing to show for it BUT the effort, then it's time to start thinking that you've got a hobby, not a gift.

I know someone like that. He's recording every time he goes out busking, he records in his home studio, etc, and he can't get gig number one. He even started an online petition to keep him from getting rousted out of his preferred busking spot, and he got zero, or nearly zero, signatures.

On the other hand, I know someone who got paying gigs booked while living in a borrowed basement, with no car at the time, and no real online presence to speak of. What he had was persistence, good songs and the ability to move a crowd of strangers with his ability. He's working on the online/marketing/networking thing now, too.

Fact is, dreams are just nice ideas that aren't grounded in reality.

What the OP is asking is when do you abandon a goal you set.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  18. russ6100

russ6100 Member

I actually loved being in a traveling carnival with instruments!

And I thought enough of many members of the audience that I spent some quality time with them after work! :aok

19. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

The idea of making a living just playing music is a relatively recent one. Historically, there were benefactors supporting the arts. Famous performers and composers still taught, wrote on spec, wrote on commission, lead choirs, played for hire in ensembles, and sought out the support of said benefactors.

In the last century, many greats had day jobs. Wes Montgomery worked HVAC well into his career. Johnny Smith owned a music store and teaching studio. Bill Withers worked on planes into his 40s. Bill Monroe farmed, making his band work the farm, and had a baseball team.

There was a brief period where musicians could largely support themselves, for part of their life, by performing. The very, very few found stardom.

Today, even the best of the best often rely on alternate income streams from teaching, writing, studio sessions, producing, product development and demonstration, etc.

I’ve always wanted to play music. Most days, I get to. Since I have a good career outside of music, I have no real need to see a financial return on my time and capital investment in music. I get to play what I want, generally with whom I want, where I want, as often as I want. That freedom is liberating creatively and removes the stress of survival from what I do with music.

Most of my friends working in music professionally have had to diversify how they make a living over several different pursuits, all at least tangentially related to music. Or not.

For me, it was less about giving up on a dream that I never had, and more about making music a priority in the mix of activity that is my professional life. The older I get, the more protective of my creative outlets I get.

No regrets.

20. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

I've realized I'm mildly talented and I'll most likely never gonna reach fame and stardom but I have fun doing what I do so I keep whittling away at it.