At What Point Do you Give In and Get a Bigger Board?

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I've had my same Pedaltrain Classic 2 pedalboard for a few years now, and it has served me really well. I have nine pedals on it, plus a cool junction box to point things either to the front of the amp or the effects loop, as well as a nice Cioks power supply underneath. Despite my affinity for effects pedals, I am mostly a relatively conventional guitar player that uses effects to enhance my tone, not as a core component of my sound, so I have leaned toward a more minimalist approach in my rig.

I'm at a point now though where I'm not really playing out much, so my pedalboard is really more about playing at home, songwriting/recording, and finding inspiration. Taking a leaner approach, I have definitely made some compromises along the way, but now I'm at a point now where I'm not sure I want to do that anymore. So for example, it would be cool to have multiple delays on my board and a fuzz pedal, as well as some added dirt flavors. Just not sure I'm ready to take the leap. In addition to the cost of a bigger board, I'm also looking at potentially upgrading my power supply to something larger that can accommodate a few more pedals. So right off the bat, I'm looking at around $500 before the cost of the pedals. I suppose though that I could probably sell my current board and power supply to offset some of the cost.

Anyway, as the title of the thread asks, at what point do you swap out your current board and get something bigger? Is it worth it to get something that can accommodate three or four more pedals? Or is better to just go big and get everything you want on there?

Grendel2000

Silver Supporting Member
I recently upgraded from a knock-off "Pedaltrain-like" board about the size of a Classic 2 to a Pedaltrain Jr Max. I don't gig so I wasn't worried about size, yet I didn't want an aircraft carrier. Much like what you've said, I just wanted a few pedals for my drive section (I use Kingsleys) one or two fuzz pedals, my delays (DMM XO and a Boonar) + "extras" (chorus, flanger, Flint, dedicated buffer).

I'd been struggling for a while trying to make things fit. I've been sort of systematically working through finding "the one" (or in some cases, "the two") pedal for me of each type, so pedals have come and gone. Trying to Tetris things around on a cramped board every time things changed just sucked. The new board has made things much simpler and I'm extremely glad I did it. I don't foresee jamming this one up. I just don't need or want many more pedals (although I did just buy a UA Golden Reverberator to fill out my verb "needs") and I feel like the Jr Max is a perfect compromise between "large" and "excessively large"...

slowburn

For $500 you could buy a used HX Stomp or $400 would get you a used HX Effects and see if either of those give you the flavors you need.. if you are not gigging at the moment maybe you don’t even need a board for either… just an alternative.

aullucci

I have a few different size boards. One is big enough to fit about 15 pedals. Depending on population it can make basically all the sounds I want to make. I use it primarily when noodling/recording backing track ideas (home use only; I’m no professional).

If I want to zero in on a particular song or part for recording I use a much smaller hoard. Only the pedals I need for that song’s tones. Too many tone options is bad for me if I’m working on a particular part/song.

I build my own boards so I have a bunch of different sizes laying around. YMMV

chromewaves

I have the same board and have been tempted to go bigger, but instead have simplified my board to the point that real estate is not a concern and I can swap things in and out as I feel like, instead of having everything hooked up all the time. Of course, I also have multiple boards now so it's not like my addiction is fixed... just redistribuetd.

100JH

I had four smaller boards and decided to crash it all into one taking the best of the best (for me)

20211220_115305.jpg

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
I've had my same Pedaltrain Classic 2 pedalboard for a few years now, and it has served me really well. I have nine pedals on it, plus a cool junction box to point things either to the front of the amp or the effects loop, as well as a nice Cioks power supply underneath. Despite my affinity for effects pedals, I am mostly a relatively conventional guitar player that uses effects to enhance my tone, not as a core component of my sound, so I have leaned toward a more minimalist approach in my rig.

I'm at a point now though where I'm not really playing out much, so my pedalboard is really more about playing at home, songwriting/recording, and finding inspiration. Taking a leaner approach, I have definitely made some compromises along the way, but now I'm at a point now where I'm not sure I want to do that anymore. So for example, it would be cool to have multiple delays on my board and a fuzz pedal, as well as some added dirt flavors. Just not sure I'm ready to take the leap. In addition to the cost of a bigger board, I'm also looking at potentially upgrading my power supply to something larger that can accommodate a few more pedals. So right off the bat, I'm looking at around $500 before the cost of the pedals. I suppose though that I could probably sell my current board and power supply to offset some of the cost.

Anyway, as the title of the thread asks, at what point do you swap out your current board and get something bigger? Is it worth it to get something that can accommodate three or four more pedals? Or is better to just go big and get everything you want on there?
I’m at essentially the same point. I’ve had a PT-2 for probably 10 years now. It has always defined my pedal approach.

I would really like to expand in to more ambient special effects, but don’t really have the room. I’m thinking about getting a Novo 32. Maybe another 24 instead though. It would be an expensive endeavor though. Infrastructure and utility stuff is not as fun to buy either.

I do have a Metro 16 with a tuner, od, and delay for my current gig.

Bob T.

I used a pretty compact rig for a number of years. I realized that I essentially had two boards: one for P&W, the other for personal stuff. There was virtually no overlap between the two, but I decided to combine them anyways into a PedalTrain Pro. I hated carrying that thing around in the soft case, but a Gator hardshell keyboard case made all the difference for me (and it was only $10 :banana).

Ry@n

I started with a Classic Pro, so I am not the best judge of this.

IMO, though, it’s not even a mattter of “giving in”… if you need more space, get more space. Too many other things to sweat in life, including other gear decisions.

Oinkus

Pedaltrain Terra has been on the things to acquire list since it came out. I have a Pro with the hardcase and a Novo 24 with the soft case. The whole having all the stuff to setup a new board is a PITA and expensive. Of course I could use another smaller board too since I have 3 amps setup in my space now ?

Abandoned

Worship Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
I’ve ran a small board for a long time. I very recently decided to give in to a bigger board. I’m gonna be sizing up to a 12.5”x24” size board which is large in comparison to what I’ve had the last several years.

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Pedaltrain Pro filled with pedals for a while, and it was unmanageable in several respects. So I downsized and used multiple smaller boards for a number of years. I finally got tired of constantly switching between boards whenever I wanted a different combination of sounds. So I recently up-sized a bit and put eight pedals (including a tuner) on one Rockboard Quad 4.1. It is all I need most of the time. I still have a couple of 5-pedal Rockboard Duo 2.1 boards for when I want a change; but I don't plan on going any bigger on my main board. Here is my Quad:
3HTyHkc.jpg

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I was on a JR for quite a few years and finally broke down and moved to a Classic 1 this year. Same as you, Mostly playing at home these days for recording and just the enjoyment of it. I just wanted some breathing room and some more flexibility with pedal choices. I did NOT want to go too crazy though because I know me and once I pass 11 or 12 pedals I get overwhelmed. I battled back and forth between slimming down and not wanting to sacrifice. I keep the JR around in case I ever want to go back but so far I have not. Too used to having the space and most importantly, more front row pedals.

For power supplies, maybe you can just add a second one. I was using a PP2+ forever. I just added a Cioks DC5 when I moved to the Classic 1. Simple enough as the Cioks plugs into that outlet built into the PP2+.

This is where I’m at now. I wish there was 1 less pedal in the front row But I want easy access to them. But this is the closest I’ve come to a comfortable balance.
DFE6B064-4210-4102-8388-5E4B42194B3A.jpeg

Last edited:

thebard42

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Pedaltrain Jr. if it does not fit it does not go. Getting a larger board opens the flood gates. You can only move and use some much at a gig.

'63-Strat

I definitely have more pedals than will fit on my pt2 but I also don't feel like going much bigger than that is very manageable. For fly gigs I would just get away with it for checked baggage weight wise for the pt2 and then one guitar in the overhead. Bigger than a pt2 and you're paying for it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom