at what point do you just buy new?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleewell, Apr 23, 2015.

1. sleewell

sleewell Member

usually i buy used pedals because i can find great deals and they can be found in very good condition.

for the last few weeks i have been trying to buy a mxr analog chorus which costs $100 new with free shipping. for the life of me I can't seem to find a decent deal.

i dunno... call me crazy but i am not going to pay in the mid $70s plus 5-13 bucks for shipping for used pedal when for just a little bit more i can get it brand new.

so what is your cutoff for buying used vs new??

2. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

My general rules for buying used/new:

- If I can find a used pedal for 25%+ off and I can find a mint one, I'll buy used.
    - Otherwise, I'll look for a 15% or 20% off coupon and buy new.
    - If it's a pedal for which there are no applicable coupons, then I might buy used for 15% or 20% off.

Bottom line for me is I won't buy used to save 10% or less than buying new since that little money isn't worth the aggravation or risk.

3. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

If I can't find a reasonable used price, I will buy new. Strymon stuff new seems like a no brainer as it's resale value is way higher.

On the other hand, I have an EHX POG2 coming today. They go for $400 (Canadian) plus tax new. Found one for $225 used in great shape. No brainer.

4. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

i always try and buy new...unless there is a dramatic price difference between the new and the used (40% or higher)...most of the stuff i need can wait till prymaxe runs the 20% or another company runs a deal.

i've been burned once too many times trying be 'cheap'. buy it new if you can

5. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

This is a link to my guy @ Sweetwater - http://www.sweetwater.com/forrest_powell

I'd be shocked if he couldn't beat $100 price on this pedal. No guarantees or kickbacks, just a helpful link because I get great service from Sweetwater. Sometimes it's just hard to find a particular item on the used market at certain times...

6. petty1818

petty1818 Member

The one unfortunate part about living in Canada is that we sometimes lack enough boutique dealers. As a result, some pedals that might only be at one Canadian dealer, do not turn up on the used market ever because not enough people know about them. That's when I generally buy new. If I have spent a few months trying to find a used pedal and just can't find it then I give up and go used.

7. sleewell

sleewell Member

yeah i work with Arend at sweetwater, he hooks me up. im sure he can beat that price too, i was just using the list price as a reference.

maybe its just this pedal but here, reverb and ebay i can seem to find a used price that makes sense.

8. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

I feel the same. I usually buy used or with a 20% coupon, whichever is available first.

9. earwax

earwax Member

I was recently trying to buy a Strymon el cap. Pretty much could only find deals that offered $25 off. So I just ordered new. Saving $25 to buy used on a $300 pedal is not worth my time.

10. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

I'm a very patient fleaBay pedal hunter and have always been successful finding my prey. Unless it is MFSDOTD, it is used for me. Most of the pedals I buy appear to be rarely used and if they come with the original box, then they have been well taken care of. I look at the history of sales to gauge how much they go for and my goal is to be about the cheapest over the last few months. If they look beat or marred around the foot switch, I pass regardless. I've been batting 1000 over the years with this strategy. I have taken as long as two months for a pedal and yes, it taxes my patience, but I hang in there.

For gear other than pedals, my Sweetwater rep will give me 15% without question.

11. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I’ve found most of my used pedals for about 50% off retail, give or take, and they’ve all been in great shape. Most of those I just paid the asking price as it was already more than fair. If I can’t find it used for at least 30-40% off retail, especially for a pedal that isn’t brand new or a “hot item,” I just buy new, especially if I haven’t had the chance to play it. Most of the equipment I have sold, I’ve taken a huge hit on if I bought new. Its just the way it is.

12. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

make sure that coupon is less than 5 years old...[​IMG]

13. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

That's about how I approach it... ;)

For example the CAE Wah I just bought - 169 Map - 135.20 shipped with 20% off at Prymaxe.... 130ish was what I kept seeing in the emporium... so I bought NEW. Same on an Archer.

My MDV-3 $269 new - found a mint one in the emporium for $180 and bought it.

I'll have to try him... I'd given up on Sweetwater. ;)

Funny because I've ended up buying stuff from Electric Mojo - in Canada because they were easier to deal with on something's than US dealers. ;)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  14. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

40% off the new price (before standard 15% discount) is usually what I look for with used pedals. Any more than that and I'd rather just buy new with the standard 15-20% off.

15. Serenity

Serenity Member

I almost never need to buy new pedals. I've always been able to find what i want much cheaper second hand. The only exception i can think of was my Snouse Blueline. Buying used means i can flip it for little or no loss if i don't gel with it.

Thinking about it, i rarely buy any of my gear new. The last amp i bought was new, but that was because i needed to finance it. All my other amps have been second hand. And i can't even remember the last time i bought a brand new guitar. There are just too many good second hand deals to be had, i just can't justify buying new.

16. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

I always buy new(but never retail).....I'm to picky to buy other peoples used crap.

17. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

i think it depends on if you have tried the pedal already.

if I know I already like it, I will probably always buy used if in good condition. I feel like it helps someone stuck with a pedal versus just talking another one off the shelf. I've been there. So even if it's only 10-15% I'll go used if I can.

If I haven't tried it I will always buy new one these conditions:
    free shipping
    return policy of 14 days+
    no restock fees.

18. fishcake

fishcake Member

Scratch & Dents

I got a Empress Tape Delay for $200 off of their website, and there are good deals to be had in stores that have S & D's.

Here in Canada, we normally don't get as much deals as in the US. Shipping, taxes, and the current exchange rate means that buying in US stores are almost the same as buying locally. Besides, local sellers like AAYSR are always well stocked and is a pretty cool guy too.

19. Monts

Monts Member

really just boils down to is it a good deal or not, and how soon you need the pedal. if you can wait long enough, there's usually a deal out there somewhere.

20. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I've had very mixed luck going the eBay used route. Have had two or three pedals crap out a few months down the line, including a tech 21 triOD and a Boss Bass Chorus. So, unless it's in mint condition, new for me.