At what point should famous rockers hang it up?

Dark Helmet

I think it's different for everyone and, in part, every genre. When an artist ceases to be an artist and becomes a parody of their former self, it's time to stop.

this is the closest thing we'll see to an answer to this question.

but even then, it hinges on whether or not they CARE if they look ridiculous.

if the music is still good... rock on my man.

tsar nicholas

I agree with those who say that you shouldn't hang it up until you lose the passion for performing. Look at Johnny Dowd -- he didn't even start until he was like 50. Chuck Berry didn't make it big until he was about 30. Norman "Fatboy Slim" Cook remade his career in his 30s. Miles Davis and Sun Ra continued to explore the outer reaches of music until they died at an advanced age.

There is no age limit on creativity!

Tmac1957

Tough question. I think it varies from star to star. I think Paul M should have hung it up the second the Beatles disbanded. However, he, along with most of the folks you are referring to are still selling a crap load of expensive tickets and albums year after year, so I'm not sure there is an impetus to quit. As long as there is a market, go sell your product there. We don't all have to buy it, thankfully.
I did go see Sir Paul last summer, and was very impressed with his entire show

tonejunky

Whenever they want to..

Personally, I enjoy watching/hearing musical artists evolve and mature.

i.e. I might not care for hearing someone with a handful of hits missing high notes on a 20-yr-old song played in exactly the same manner that it was released.

But... I enjoyed seeing/hearing Plant and the Band of Joy.. I also enjoyed hearing Clapton play some interesting versions of some of his songs a couple of years ago.

And then you have some people that don't even try to act anything like how they were in their youth... like Johnny Cash recording 'Hurt' just a few months before he died. That song turned half of a new generation on to his music.. and even his oldest fans agree that it was one of his best. I thought that it was a very powerful statement and great end to his legacy.

So.. if someone's true to themselves, and really 'wants' to get out there and put on a performance... I think that it's great for them to continue doing so regardless of their age or chops.

tsar nicholas

^ This argument is equivalent to saying that small-time bands should hang it up. If that were really true, 99% of musicians would stop performing

Rogue

Depends on what you mean by "hang it up"

Stop playing for money.....hang it up at the moment no one is paying you anymore.

Stop playing for yourself.....hang it up whenever you no longer want to play.

Any other case...never.

TravisE

Supporting Member
Depends on what you mean by "hang it up"

Stop playing for money.....hang it up at the moment no one is paying you anymore.

Stop playing for yourself.....hang it up whenever you no longer want to play.

Any other case...never.
How about hanging it up at a point when you're charging your audience for something that you can no longer deliver?

Rogue

How about hanging it up at a point when you're charging your audience for something that you can no longer deliver?
Like if your arm falls off or something? If people still wish to pay you play, why in the world you not play?

Rama

Jeff Beck is better now than he has ever been...consumate artist/magician at the height of his powers with no end in sight.

I am a MUSIC fan and a fan of great musicians.

Image has very little to do with it from my standpoint.

So, my answer is that as long as good music is still flowing from the artist I will support them wholeheartedly in every way I can.

Johnny Winter should, however, prob hang it up.

tsar nicholas

Jeff Beck is better now than he has ever been...consumate artist/magician at the height of his powers with no end in sight.
^ That's a fact. I've seen recent YouTube performances where his sense of melody is out of this world -- he's one of those "the guitar is a voice" type players

shane8

the answer you seek is 30

30 is the age you should give up rock and roll and do something useful

sixty2strat

play till ya die on stage ...if your up for it.

BUT unless your still exciting live, doing good new material( not **** your pr hype says is as good as .....fill in classicalbum.) Or pushing the limits or artistry on your instrument don't expect me to drop 300 bucks on golden circle seating or 50.00 nosebleeds

fusion58

At what point should famous rockers hang it up?

When they no longer enjoy playing music.

Those who don't enjoy listening to them don't have to.

Trending Topics