At what point should famous rockers hang it up?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ben R, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Bezzy

Bezzy Member

Tattoo Tattoo. Mr Frosty. Thats when.

2. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

They should give it up when they are forced to by economics , health, or mortality.
    Nothing short of that.
    Are you going to let young people some day tell you that you are too old to ball, or too old to cut the grass, or too old to play horseshoes?

If an old hack who was once the hottest thing since running water wants to play clubs for 10 people and can afford it, who is to say he cannot?

You ain't dead til your dead, as long as the corpse is warm and vertical let it do what it wants.

Seeing Johnny Winter hack it out while sitting on a chair this week proved that to me.

3. Brian D

Brian D Member

Whenever they feel like it.

4. Rogue

Rogue Member

Why is it that some people claim someone should "hang it up" when they are selling millions of cds and selling out arenas, just because they don't like the music anymore, but don't "hang it up" themselves for orders of magnitude less, and which many more people don't really like their music?

This is a concept I don't comprehend.

5. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

I think that he's just saying that some stars would have a more mysterious and idealistic legacy if they quit around the point that the majority of their fans might consider to be the peak of their greatness.

If everyone did that, we might not have 'Tea for Two' or acoustic 'Layla'... heck, I personally liked 'Put Your Lights On' off of Supernatural.

and if a star gets out there and puts on a terrible or terribly boring performance... I would think that would give them even more reason to get out there again and shine once more.

6. HugalosPizza

HugalosPizza Member

When someone from TGP posts a thread on how awful you looked at the NAMM show.

7. JimInMO

JimInMO Member

Willie, BB, Merle, Sir Paul, Dylan and so on are way past their prime but I find them inspiring. Especially since I'm not too far behind them in years. Still doing what they love. Don't think they are doing it for money at this stage. Come to think of it, Paul Simon and Dylan may be better than ever.

8. monty

monty Member

Say this to Chuck Berry and you'll be lucky to walk away with all your teeth.

9. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I liked a lot of his Wings stuff. I say let him play till he drops. We've only got two of them left and they were one of the greatest bands to have ever walked this earth (IMHO of course)

10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I suspect most true music geniuses could care less about legacy and image and all that crap, they do music because they love it.
    Legacy and image and that kind of pointless nonsense is for those who want to be great. Those who are don't need all that, their fullfillment is not in the wealth and fame, their fullfillment is in getting to do it.

My ears don't perceive looks.

11. Lone Bear

Lone Bear Member

I saw John Lee Hooker sit on a folding chair after being brought on stage in a golf cart. - I wish I hadn't. Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton are still worth the ticket. I love the Stones but I won't pay the price. I make the judgements for me but I can't tell anybody else who they should support. As long as the artist has support it's up to them.

12. Lone Bear

Lone Bear Member

Go to a Jeff Beck concert and look at the people in the crowd!:omg

13. Madsen

Madsen Member

not too long ago i saw Bill Lawrence completely destroy a room full of very talented younger players, he's in his 80's & had just recovered from some serious health issues.

i don't think there is an age limit, i just think it's embarrassing when people think they have to pretend to be teenagers when they're well past that stage in life.

it's ok to be a mature musician. if you've still got passion for it, keep playing!