1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

At what price do you expect a guitar to be absolutely flawless?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dreamspace, May 30, 2020.

1. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

2. JukeBoxRat

JukeBoxRat Supporting Member

All I know is that one of my most recent purchases, an Epi Plus Top Pro I bought from Sweetwater, is possibly the best setup guitar I've purchased, whether in a store or online. Frets are all good, no flaws anywhere as far as I can tell. I didn't even have to tweak the trussrod or anything. I was pretty impressed, as I hadn't been expecting that from a sub $1K guitar.

3. PeterG

PeterG Member

Just so you know, there is no such thing as a flawless guitar. At any price point. That's all.

4. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

5. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Nothing is flawless in anything. Especially when dealing with Mother Nature. Take it from someone who is OCD, I see flaws in EVERYTHING

6. V-man

V-man Member

$800 new should be straight w no major cosmetic issues (maybe a slight allowance for hand-built issues)

$1200 new should be free from all cosmetic defect.

7. D K Souther

D K Souther Member

I don’t see variation as flaw. I look at it as uniqueness. Like people who build them, each guitar is unique. There is no flawless wood, or metal, or plastic. There will always be a variation. I pick a guitar based on my reaction to it. I feel like the guitar is an expression of art, for the expression of art. Any guitar that can be set up, ie: not warped or broken, should have, at least a rudimentary set up. My opinion, of course.

dogrocketp likes this.
  8. GT100

GT100 Member

I don’t need a flawless guitar and don’t look for them that way.
    Need one that sounds the way I like. That and I’m able to be setup properly- level frets, no fretboard shrinkage, etc.
    I have a Deluxe Strat and a Tele Plus. Both had the skunk stipe on the neck mess up the Finnish a bit. You can feel it with your thumb. They were like that at the store brand new and I was fully aware of it when I bought them.
    Apparently you can get a replacement neck under a lifetime warranty because its clearly a manufacturing issue. But the guitars sound and play good as they are. So I’m not going to risk a neck replacement over trivial stuff like that.

Lloyd

dogrocketp likes this.
  9. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Realistically none.

10. TVa

TVa Supporting Member

I've never played a perfect electric, but I found my perfect classical guitar, and it was $8,000 used.

Arcadia, 73171 and RicardoDiazHimself like this.
  11. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

Honestly if my expectations are flawless,
    I’m paying way too much because I don’t believe you can buy flawless.

it’s all about expectations

Whogo and soulman969 like this.
  12. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

I would never expect a hand made instrument to be flawless. That is the beauty of a hand made instrument.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I have to laugh a bit as we debate this and at what price level a guitar should have no flaws when there are buyers out there spending tens of thousands of dollars on '50s models that were far from flawless and in many cases not even all that consistent from one to another of the same model.

The mass produced models of the 21st century are so much more consistent in both build and finish than stuff was 60-70 years ago it's like comparing a 1957 car to a 2020 car. I expect quality workmanship and good playability and 90% of time I find it even with sub $500 guitars.

GT100 likes this.
  14. sunking101

sunking101 Member

I can take a cosmetic issue, these things happen with production line instruments but fretwork should be perfect on any guitar over $750 IMO. Sadly it isn't though. I've even had Gibson Custom Shop LPs needing a fret levelling and they ALL need the nut fettling & intonation sorting. That's unforgivable at the pricepoint.

Rarely do I find a new instrument that is pretty much perfect after I've adjusted the action to my taste. It happens but more often than not it doesn't.

dogrocketp likes this.
  15. Cam1936

Cam1936 Member

I have a LP Traditional. Retail was $2300 USD from that year.

Frets absolutely flawless, plays great, but if you go looking for file marks around the nibs, you'll find them. Just like you will on a R9.

Granted, to 100% remove file marks around nibs is going to be very laborious. They will go away with enough play anyways.

16. hawk101

hawk101 Member

If I expected flawless in anything I would never have gotten married or bought the house I live in.

Hell, man, flawless ain’t the goal. Awesome, musical and personal is the goal. I can make almost any guitar worth owning play well. I want perfectly flawed every time. I embrace imperfection.

dogrocketp, Whogo and 73171 like this.
  17. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Flaw = mistake. TBH I have a hard time finding any mistakes in any guitar at any price these days. The worst is still Epiphone, though; paint lines that are not straight, binding that doesn't look perfectly fitted, uneven poly applications, etc.

18. Lepinkäinen

Lepinkäinen Member

What's a flaw in another manufacturer's guitar is a sign of a handmade instrument in Gibson. :hide

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    dogrocketp and Whogo like this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Member

:D
    No tooling marks in the binding or dodgy fret ends on any of my LPs yet it's "to be expected". If they can get it right on some guitars then they can damned well get it right on mine. I would only accept flaws like that if they played like a gift from the angels and frankly out of the box they don't. I'm very happy with mine...now...but it took a lot of work.

Funnily enough my Les Paul Special, one of the cheapest guitars I own, was perfect out of the box. I dropped the action and 10 mins later that guitar was a keeper. I also have an Elite strat that was similar. My R8 and many Standards I've owned all needed a fair bit of tech work before they played like their price tag suggested.

dogrocketp and Lepinkäinen like this.
  20. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member