ATBL and the Variplex

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, Feb 28, 2008.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

OK here's a fun little experiment... what u are hearing is a Variplex Dave Friedman loaned me... panned hard right, with a bit of verb and the requisite proper efx in front of the amp (EVH flanger, one delay at about 100 ms and another around 300).. variac at 90. I had to use an attenuator (Komet) down relatively low, so as to not bug the neighbors...

oh and the amp has original Sylvania 6CA7's in it.. which were pulls from a Marshall Dave fixed for Ed :)

just pan back and forth between the right and left speakers to listen to the original vs. the variplex.

http://music.mp3lizard.com/peterthorn/

click on "ATBL variplex"

2. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

Oh ya ! Thats the shiat right there ! Game over.

3. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Wow, that sounds exactly the same to me.

4. camitchell

camitchell Member

I've heard the Variplex in person a few times now and that is one great sounding amp. Not a one trick pony either from what I've heard. It's got a range of tones in there.

5. tonecrazy

tonecrazy Supporting Member

50 or 100 watt variplex?

6. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Game Over is right.

Leave it to Sinasl1 to hit the ball out of the park, when it came to making a clip of the Variplex for the VH I and II tone.

I've owned a ton of boutique Marshall knockoffs and a bunch of four input metal panels back in the day. I love the clean and dirty tones I get out of my Variplex. I love it around 90 volts. I take my Koll w/TV Jones Filtertron picks and I'm nailing Malcom Young. I take my Les Paul, dime everything, and I'm in classic rock heaven. I take my strat knock off with a humbucker and a maple board, and I'm in VH heaven. Now, if I could make clips that are close to the magic touch of Sinasl1. Pete, your clips rule.

PS. I also use a Komet Attenuator to bring the volume down a bit, but the amp also likes my Hotplate.

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

It's a 50 watt....

8. Jove

Jove Member

Very cool Pete. It sounds really close to me but does a more gifted pair of ears like yourself notice any (even subtle) differences?

I own a Variplex but Van Halen is the last tone I'd ever need. I'm just curious what you think since you are pretty good at nailing that tone with a variety of gear.

J

9. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

nice clip!

i'm a big fan of mine:
    [​IMG]