ATM Deposits

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by scottlr, Mar 18, 2015.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have no real problem doing an ATM deposit of a check. I did have a 30K check that I took to the bank, though. Today I sold an amp for $1500 and got cash. I am hesitant to put that cash in an envelope and shove it into a machine. My bank has only one branch in this area, and it's way across town. I hate to make that drive, but putting 15 $100 bills into a machine just doesn't feel right. If it was a check, I'd have done it already.

Am I just being paranoid? No matter, I am driving the cash to the bank tomorrow.

BTW, the $100 bills are sort of cool.

2. ANALOG GUY

ANALOG GUY Member

I have never deposited in an ATM, much better to have a stack at home, (for more guitars)

3. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

As long as I got a receipt from the ATM I'd have no problem making that deposit.

4. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

The receipt does not prove you put $XX in the envelope, just that you keyed that amount in and then deposited the envelope.

For $1500 I'd buy three money orders and then deposit them by scanning with my phone.

5. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

A long time ago I made a deposit (a check) at an ATM where I regularly banked. They pulled the "the envelope was empty" crap, and I've never done a deposit at an ATM since. Never will, either.

6. guitarcats70

guitarcats70 Member

That's weird because I thought ATMs now just let you deposit the bills or checks without putting it in an envelope. I know Wells Fargo and US Bank does and it shows you on the screen how much was put in.

7. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

some banks are worse than others on this, and account security usually goes hand in hand. in 30 years, i have never had a mistake or security breach at one bank. opened an account about 7 years ago with another bank and in the first 3 years had:
    2 ATM withdrawal discrepancies (got no cash but ATM says i did).
    3 security breaches that required my notification. no lost funds but lots of worry. i wouldn't dream of doing an ATM deposit at this bank.

8. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

They don't use envelopes anymore. You stick a wad of bills in there, key in the amount, it counts them, asks you if that's correct and spits out a receipt. If you go to your account on the banks online site, you can even see a picture of all the bills if it worries you. I've done it plenty of times with no issues, except for one time it didn't like this $20 for some reason (it was old and kinda beat up), so I had to go spend it.

You two are living in the past about some things...I even have a check scanner we got from the bank on my desk so I don't have to waste my time going there and it works great...no issues, zip, zip and the checks are deposited from my desk. However, I don't recommend that for home use. If we didn't have a business account with them, they want something like $50 a month, which isn't worthwhile for most people...

That happened to me two weeks ago, but the branch was open so I walked inside, told them I didn't get my money from the ATM machine on the right, the guy checked and 30 seconds later said "how would you like your cash, sir?" Apparently, they can tell if it dispensed cash or not from their terminals... For the record, my main bank isn't some Bank of Podunk, it's Wells Fargo, so they might have the latest stuff...

They do (see above) and so does BofA (who I absolutely detest, but that's another story).

9. mango

mango Member

$1500 = pocket change

10. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

We used to call that "walking around money".

11. 84superchamp

spent that much on dinner.

12. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Pfffff. Make that much bank in 3/5 of a work week.

13. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Sorry to sidetrack, but does anyone else find it rude when people do their banking (deposit checks, etc.) at the ATM when the bank is open and the ATM is connected to the bank?

I understand the OP said the bank is all the way at the other side of town. I get that if it's a stand-alone ATM.

But the people who do this while at the bank drive me nuts, sorry. I suppose I'm just another complainer, but out of consideration to others, I'd never deposit stuff and do my banking at the ATM when the bank is open and connected to the ATM.

14. whitebread

whitebread Member

The newer ATMs allow for cash deposits without an envelope. Most banks have these now, it's Diebold technology. And they work 99% of the time. But sometimes, even when they show you the picture of the bills and the $ amount, it still gets jammed. And you get no credit for your deposit. We will get you credit eventually, it's part of federal reg E. But I've seen that take several days to happen before.

Btw, I'm a Branch Manager.

15. 84superchamp

:agree

the Me First mentality is everywhere. i wouldn't think of doing that.

16. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    A major pet peeve for me. I get it.

17. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Never done ATM Deposits nor do I know how.

18. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

We deposit checks with our phone. Easy peasy.

19. PITA

PITA Member

No I don't find it rude at all--and in fact I do it all the time.

I'm struggling to understand why you think it's rude, and how exactly it is inconsiderate to others (what else would/should I do at an ATM besides banking? :huh) Do you mind clueing me in?

Back to the topic, yeah, we can feed bills and checks directly into the machine, and in fact the better half regularly uses her phone to take pictures and deposit checks without ever leaving the house. So far so good.

20. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Envelopes? Don't know how to do an ATM deposit? How old are some of you muhfuggahs?