Atom VS Cobra VS PRS VS Les Paul..Results

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pfrischmann, Aug 22, 2006.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi Guys,
    I spent some time yesterday at my favorite store. Atlanta Music brokers. I got a chance to compare a few guitars. Here are my thoughts...just my thoughts. YMMV

PRS Custom22..(didn't have a McCarty) Nice guitar but a bit thinner sounding than the Les Paul I used as my Comparison guitar. I'm not a huge fan of PRS pickups. This one had Dragon II's. Nice but not quite the punchy, low mid thing I'm looking for.

Anderson Cobra. this is one Sexy beast. I love the looks and style of this guitar. It seems to have a bit more of a focused mid hump, not quite the low mid oomph I'm llooking for. It's closer than the PRS and more versatile.

Anderson Atom- I think this guitar needs a bit of a cosmetic overhaul. The looks are just very uninspiring for me. It just doesn't click. It sounds pretty darn good. Much more low mid than the cobra or custom 22. Lot's of Les Paul vibe with much more clarity. the top end is really defined, Kind of a polite, boutique les paul....I really like it. It's easier to play than a LP too. It does however lack that low mid thing. It has more than the others but it's still not there

Gibson Les Paul Classic. Hardly the perfect LP but the only one in the shop. I hate the way the guitar sits on my lap. The neck angle makes me feel constricted. the lack of a belly cut makes the guitar feel like it is 100 feet away from me. The lack of a forearm contour is really uncomfortable...but...It has tons of ommph. All the notes have a certain weight to them....It IS rock and roll, warts and all...it is what it is.

2. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

Atlanta Music Brokers is my favorite store too...bought many guitars from there, including a G&L Legacy Special 12 years ago.

I've played the same guitars there, and I agree with you 100% on the Atom...fantastic guitar, just can't get past the looks. And I've even managed to get past the looks of my Music Man Axis Super Sport.

John used to carry tons of Les Pauls, but told me they didn't qualify for Gibson's new and ridiculous $100,000/year sales quota, so they'd stop selling them. A DAMN shame too. He used to get in some real pretty LPs.

Nice reviews...I agree completely on each one.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I stopped into that store this past Saturday for the first ime in over a year. I used to get there at least once a week for years throughout the 90s when I played in a church folk group in that area.

I was really surprised to see how few electrics they had in stock, compared to days of old. The acoustic side was fantastic with lots of gorgeous Taylors and Martins on display. But for electrics, they had PRS, a few Anderson and Suhr guitars, and some G&Ls. They used to carry many more lines, and yeah, the Gibson thing really affected their inventory.

Amp wise, a plethora of Mesas to behold, including that righteous Stiletto Ace head!

4. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

They usually have the CAE suhr stuff as well.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Kind of reminds me of a local police Dept. that tells its officers they have to get rid of so many tickets a month or else. God I hope that company chokes. [​IMG]

I agree 100% on the atom..........probably a great guitar but it resembles a fancy boat oar. The Andersonofiles over on the Anderson page try like hell to make 'em sound great but they are what they are. Tom A. needs to realize us geetar players are a shallow bunch.........our gear needs to look cool as well as play and sound great!! [​IMG]

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have been buying and playing Anderson's since 1988, I love Tom & Co. but I have to agree on the Atom, it is butt fugly, period end of story.
    They should really consider revamping that one, at least the headstock.

It looks better with darker shaded edges (tobacco burst, ect..) but as the saying goes "You can't shine sheet".

7. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I think the Atom shape is fine except a guitar like that needs block inlays and some other cosmetic upgrades. It's body shape was dictated by functionality, something you can't say for a Les Paul!

8. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, it's the headstock that really throws me. Anderson headstocks look good on their other guitars, but it just doesn't fit this instrument. For some reason, as soon as I saw the Atom, I thought "Carvin." I think it's the headstock. They play and sound great though - and resonate like crazy.

As to the original post - I've always thought the PRS got closer to LP territory than the Cobra (but I haven't played a Cobra since they started using the new neck joint). Anyone else feel the Cobra is closer to an LP than the PRS?

9. Mr.Hanky

[​IMG]

Funny cause I think it looks better with the Bigsby.

Then again looking at this body shot, I think it is the neck. It's like a strat neck on a les paul, That is like putting a turbo inline 4 inside a hemi-cuda, it's just wrong!

[​IMG]

10. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

It always cracks me up when you Atom bashers get going. Universally everyone says "but it plays and sounds great". That's kinda the point, right?

So enjoy your cosmetically viable single cutaways that need to have electronics changed, PLEK'd and hardware swapped out to be playable. Some of us like the Atom and are tired of hearing about the friggin' headstock. Move on.

11. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I like the Atom headstock just fine. I'm much quicker at tuning with the inline arrangement. The important thing for me is that it not only plays and sounds great, it feels like a part of me when I'm wearing it. I've grown to be fond of the look too, especially with a Bigsby, though mine lacks one for weight reasons more than anything else.

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Like I said...........we are a shallow bunch. [​IMG]

I guess Fat chicks need loving too...........:BEER

13. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

In this case I think it's more like smart chicks need loving too.

14. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

That's because the last McCarty Rosewood they had sitting there lives with me now!
    :RoCkIn

Seriously though, they are a great bunch over there and have been very helpful answering all of my GAS related questions.

Question, did you by chance play the Anderson T Classic Swamp Ash they have there right now? WOW!

15. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

Man...it's quotes like this that keep me away from this and many other boards. One can't even express an opinion - nothing more - without being labeled and hammered. "Atom basher?" Really? Because I don't like the way it looks? And why should I or anyone "move on?" Because someone or some group doesn't like said opinion? Honestly, for nearly $3000 I think I should be able to get a guitar that plays good, sounds good, AND looks good...to me. Why can't I say that? Attacking my opinion or telling me not to have it or not to express it isn't going to change it.

Jim - thanks for explaining WHY you disagree. While I can appreciate that the headstock is more functional as it's designed, to my eyes, form followed function a little too closely in this case. I'd like to see a chunkier headstock that better balances the mass of the body. For me, it has nothing to do with Gibson or tradition...I'm not at all a traditionalist. But I just don't feel this design flows. And at these price points, all the elements have to combine just right for me to drop the cash.

16. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

robyogi-

With all due respect...

5 people on this thread so far dogged the looks.

Why do you feel like I was responding and attacking you?

Perhaps what is keeping you away from boards is a thin skin.

17. Mr.Hanky

Apparently we touched a nerve, sorry.

18. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I don't understand what the big deal is.

Slyvanshine,
    I'm glad you like your atom. I think it is a pretty cool guitar. I've talked to a few dealer friends of mine about this guitar. Sales are rather slow. I've only met a few people that can get past the looks of this guitar.

Anderson designs some of the sexiest guitars out there. They are also great instruments as well. Most people buy with their eyes first. A manufacturer the forgets that could be in for some slow sales.

19. Mr.Hanky

Weird thing is I am not big on looks. I play goldtops, lot of guys don't dig them. I had a yellow cobra special, hollow cobra, hollow T classic, ect...

But there is something about the Atom that just looks wrong to me, like a duckbill platypus.

20. mep

mep Supporting Member

My initial reaction to the Atom was to think that it is ugly and to think that I would never be interested in one. However, after playing one I was totally impressed. Ergonomically, it was very comfortable and it sounded great. I was very impressed!

Most of the intial Atoms had the edge burst like Anderson does on his classic and T models. Since then he has been doing them with a tear-drop burst and the guitar looks much more pleasing. In actuallity the shape is very similar to a LP.