Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I think that and the Lead 80 are my next choices. It really is incredible how much these IR's completely change the character of whatever amp model you use them with. Can't believe I've lasted until now without ever trying them. Haha

Plexi12xxx and TelePrankster like this.
  2. cbellanga

cbellanga Member

Would anyone be able to post an “inside” picture? Wondering if I could mod the pedal - replacing the foot switch with a jack so I can integrate it with a boss es8 / 5 or musicomlab devices? That way I could control the channel switching remotely.. thanks!

3. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

Not sure how this is going to help, but here ya go:

[​IMG]

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  4. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Hm, might be a good thing that the switches are on a separate circuit board. Might however be tough to modify them so they'd work with typical open/close switchers - you'd most likely need a switcher delivering momentary switching as well. And even in that case, switching between on/off and A/B mode might become quite an adventure.

5. Watt McCo

As @Sascha Franck notes, the switches are non-latching soft-click type. I don't know a lot about es-8 style switchers but think they are designed to work with latching style switches?

6. cbellanga

cbellanga Member

Thanks for that guys. I was planning to use a relay board I have ready to go (now controlling my Tim pedal) but space may be a problem :(

it would be so much easier if remote control was added to the design in 1st place but well .. quite useful these days with so many external controllers available in the mkt.

7. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

Rabea dialed in some pretty wicked tones! The Strat stuff sounds amazing.

8. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

9. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

I am getting a loud pop when I am switching between 2 amps in AB mode. Is this normal? I have a AA firebox.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  10. Watt McCo

That's louder than I've gotten, but I have gotten pops when changing between amps (either in A/B mode or when using the dip-switches). The degree of the pop depends on the amp and settings (on both sides of the switch) and like yours isn't consistently the same every time I switch. Definitely at its worst when going high gain to low gain and worst when switching while holding out notes like in your example.

11. bdrepko

It was worse than I initially though. Some of these pops are loud enough to blow speakers in a PA if cranked enough. Not to mention damage some ear drums. This needs to be fixed.

NamaEnsou, JiveTurkey and Watt McCo like this.
  12. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

I guess those pops are the digital equivalent of (what I think it might be called in english) "slew" - not all parameters are readjusted at the same time but serially, so in case you're switching from, say, an amp with low gain but high master to an amp with high gain but low master and the master switching is delayed, there'll be a short (and possibly massive) volume jump. Same issue on Boss' GT units (at least on the older ones). No idea whether that can/will be solved, but as long as it isn't, just don't switch while playing or holding a note/chord.

13. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

I don't have a pop issue at all. Good luck.

14. bdrepko

Sounds right. If I add some gain to the clean channel the pop disappears. I dont really play super clean amps anyway.

LordByron likes this.
  15. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Those pops are loud on 5w computer speakers let alone when being pumped through FOH. Yikes!

bdrepko likes this.
  16. bdrepko

No doubt. I got the Firebox as a backup in case my rig or the other guitarists goes down. At least we have something to make sound. We played one show a few years back and the other guitarist blew 2 amps during soundcheck.

17. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

I know you probably already tried this, but did you try turning on the cab emulation? I feel this sometimes sounds a lot better with amps that somehow become too harsh when feeding the effects loop return...

dbagchee likes this.
  18. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Silver Supporting Member

I've never experienced anything like those pops. I'd see if Atomic's support will help you out there.. might be a faulty unit that that they can replace to fix the problem.

19. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

I didn't try that but that is a great suggestion. I'll have to give it a try next time!

Edit: The other thing I might try is just running it into the front of the amp as flat and clean as possible - the extra gain from the Mesa preamp will probably provide more headroom and some extra EQ as well :)

Madmax25 likes this.
  20. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

You’re welcome :) And remember to report back! ;)

dbagchee likes this.