Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. John Alexander

John Alexander Member

@Jay Mitchell-thanks for the informative reply! I def should not have disabled the hardware level! Live and learn!

2. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

It sounds to me like you did everything right! The 1/4" output should be about 3dB less than the XLR output(unbalanced vs balanced). So switching to the LINK out of the CLR likely dropped the signal by 3dB because the 1/4" was feeding the CLR input. That might have been enough to solve the clipping problem. Or in the GLOBAL section you had the MAIN 1/4" output level set lower than the XLR output. Assuming that the sound guy didn't suddenly realize that he just had to lower the input level on your channel of the mixer! : )

LordByron likes this.
  3. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I'd say its the 25w power section struggling more than anything. I've had 15-20w amp heads before, and at high volumes I wouldn't be expecting much in the way of decent clean headroom coming from the power section, as they'll naturally overdrive much earlier than their larger cousins.

LordByron and dbagchee like this.
  4. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

You did it for the right reason though! That's why that parameter exists. So you don't accidentally cut or boost your output level during a live performance. My guess is either the LINE inputs on that mixer didn't have input level adjustments or he was running you in to a mic input using a pad. Hard to say. But I'm glad it worked out for you.

LordByron likes this.
  5. John Alexander

John Alexander Member

@Jace Nuzback-yea, that's why I did it. I didn't think that there would be an "issue" on my channel in the mixer...but now I have more knowledge! The AFB is so cool and I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up using it all the time instead of my Lazy J20 or my Ax8...all three sound great! I am very happy with the Atomic NEO CLR as well! Hard to get but worth it!

Jace Nuzback and LordByron like this.
  6. Plexi12xxx

Plexi12xxx Member

I picked up the Celestion G12M-65 Cream Back 4X12 over the weekend for $6. This really sounds great. It's now my go to cab for the BE amp. I use the IR that is a mix of all 3 mics - SM57, R121, and MD421. It's called Hi-Gn all. They also have some room mixes that sound pretty good. I have been searching for a 4X12 Celestion green back "flavor" IR that does not have that high end fizzy garbage on the top end and this is the best one so far. And I have been through hundreds.

TelePrankster, Bentayuk and LordByron like this.
  7. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I think that and the Lead 80 are my next choices. It really is incredible how much these IR's completely change the character of whatever amp model you use them with. Can't believe I've lasted until now without ever trying them. Haha

Plexi12xxx and TelePrankster like this.
  8. cbellanga

cbellanga Member

Would anyone be able to post an “inside” picture? Wondering if I could mod the pedal - replacing the foot switch with a jack so I can integrate it with a boss es8 / 5 or musicomlab devices? That way I could control the channel switching remotely.. thanks!

9. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

Not sure how this is going to help, but here ya go:

[​IMG]

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  10. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Hm, might be a good thing that the switches are on a separate circuit board. Might however be tough to modify them so they'd work with typical open/close switchers - you'd most likely need a switcher delivering momentary switching as well. And even in that case, switching between on/off and A/B mode might become quite an adventure.

11. Watt McCo

As @Sascha Franck notes, the switches are non-latching soft-click type. I don't know a lot about es-8 style switchers but think they are designed to work with latching style switches?

12. cbellanga

cbellanga Member

Thanks for that guys. I was planning to use a relay board I have ready to go (now controlling my Tim pedal) but space may be a problem :(

it would be so much easier if remote control was added to the design in 1st place but well .. quite useful these days with so many external controllers available in the mkt.

13. dbagchee

dbagchee Silver Supporting Member

Rabea dialed in some pretty wicked tones! The Strat stuff sounds amazing.

14. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

15. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

I am getting a loud pop when I am switching between 2 amps in AB mode. Is this normal? I have a AA firebox.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  16. Watt McCo

That's louder than I've gotten, but I have gotten pops when changing between amps (either in A/B mode or when using the dip-switches). The degree of the pop depends on the amp and settings (on both sides of the switch) and like yours isn't consistently the same every time I switch. Definitely at its worst when going high gain to low gain and worst when switching while holding out notes like in your example.

17. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

It was worse than I initially though. Some of these pops are loud enough to blow speakers in a PA if cranked enough. Not to mention damage some ear drums. This needs to be fixed.

NamaEnsou, JiveTurkey and Watt McCo like this.
  18. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

I guess those pops are the digital equivalent of (what I think it might be called in english) "slew" - not all parameters are readjusted at the same time but serially, so in case you're switching from, say, an amp with low gain but high master to an amp with high gain but low master and the master switching is delayed, there'll be a short (and possibly massive) volume jump. Same issue on Boss' GT units (at least on the older ones). No idea whether that can/will be solved, but as long as it isn't, just don't switch while playing or holding a note/chord.

19. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

I don't have a pop issue at all. Good luck.

20. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

Sounds right. If I add some gain to the clean channel the pop disappears. I dont really play super clean amps anyway.

LordByron likes this.