Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Those pops are loud on 5w computer speakers let alone when being pumped through FOH. Yikes!

bdrepko likes this.
  2. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

No doubt. I got the Firebox as a backup in case my rig or the other guitarists goes down. At least we have something to make sound. We played one show a few years back and the other guitarist blew 2 amps during soundcheck.

3. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

I know you probably already tried this, but did you try turning on the cab emulation? I feel this sometimes sounds a lot better with amps that somehow become too harsh when feeding the effects loop return...

dbagchee likes this.
  4. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

I've never experienced anything like those pops. I'd see if Atomic's support will help you out there.. might be a faulty unit that that they can replace to fix the problem.

5. dbagchee

dbagchee Silver Supporting Member

I didn't try that but that is a great suggestion. I'll have to give it a try next time!

Edit: The other thing I might try is just running it into the front of the amp as flat and clean as possible - the extra gain from the Mesa preamp will probably provide more headroom and some extra EQ as well :)

Madmax25 likes this.
  6. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

You’re welcome :) And remember to report back! ;)

dbagchee likes this.
  7. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

I wrote a post about the same problem some weeks ago. It happened to me for a while, especially when using reverb in one or both the amps I was A/B-ing. I don't have this problem that much and I can't remember how I solved it, to be honest.

8. Stokely

Stokely Member

I'd hope there were limiters on FOH (though they'd have to be quick to catch a pop like that, or mic drop etc).

I certainly make sure my IEMs have a limiter. I know of people that gig just with earbuds out of a mixer and that is not a good idea IMO.

9. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

I have this same issue but only when going from B to A. B is acoustic emulation - effects, acoustic IR, no amp. A is clean British amp model with effects and cab. The pop is very loud for me too. I see some don't have this problem and some had this problem and then it went away. I'll have to reach out to support and see if there is a resolution.

10. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but can you use 3 Sigma Audio Electric Impulses with the AFB?

I’d love to have my AC30 set with a telecaster tone, and US Clean with a Strat instead of having to switch up guitars or push/pull + switch pickups on my ESP.

11. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

While you can, the challenge is you only have one slot so now you've lost your cab IR.

LordByron and Bentayuk like this.
  12. Bentayuk

Damn, that’s what I was thinking.

13. Watt McCo

I would also think you'd rather have the guitar IR in front of the amp rather than post amp

Bentayuk and Sascha Franck like this.
  14. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

So allowing more than one IR and being able to place them before and after the amp sounds like a feature request ;).

Isn't there a tool somewhere that combines IRs?

Bentayuk likes this.
  15. Watt McCo

I doubt there is sufficient processing for two IRs. If you want to try to make a combined guitr/can IR, should make sure they're in series, not parallel.

16. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

And while that'd be possible, as you said yourself already, it'd make pretty much zero sense to run that combined IR in whatever position in the signal chain.

17. Vetseun

Vetseun Member

Hi, Apologies if this is a silly question, but I've not been able to find a definitive answer online... is the D-Luxe model based of a tweed Deluxe (5e3) or a Deluxe Reverb? I'm assuming tweed as the blackface sound would probably be covered by the twin and bassman models?

18. Watt McCo

It sounds Blackface to me. The Bassman is Tweed all the way to my ear. All three sound quite different.

Vetseun, LordByron and TelePrankster like this.
  19. Bentayuk

I had a great jam with the Helix LT today and the tones and editing options really are amazing.

THEN I played my AFB, and it brought a smile to my face with the first chord hit. To each their own on what we hear, but I think I won’t be renewing my Helix rental.

The Archon amp model on the Helix is freakin awesome, and maybe worth the unit alone. BUT honestly, I reckon I can get close enough with the AFB 5150 + the right IR.

20. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

That has been exactly my experience as well. Every time I play with my Helix and think that I've hit upon a good sound, I play my Amplifirebox and realize what I was missing from the Helix's tone. There's just so much more body to the sound coming from the Amplifire than from the Helix. It's like there's a giant section of the midrange that was sucked away from the signal in the Helix when you compare the two.

Dead-Pan and NamaEnsou like this.