Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

I wrote a post about the same problem some weeks ago. It happened to me for a while, especially when using reverb in one or both the amps I was A/B-ing. I don't have this problem that much and I can't remember how I solved it, to be honest.

2. Stokely

Stokely Member

I'd hope there were limiters on FOH (though they'd have to be quick to catch a pop like that, or mic drop etc).

I certainly make sure my IEMs have a limiter. I know of people that gig just with earbuds out of a mixer and that is not a good idea IMO.

3. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

I have this same issue but only when going from B to A. B is acoustic emulation - effects, acoustic IR, no amp. A is clean British amp model with effects and cab. The pop is very loud for me too. I see some don't have this problem and some had this problem and then it went away. I'll have to reach out to support and see if there is a resolution.

4. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but can you use 3 Sigma Audio Electric Impulses with the AFB?

I’d love to have my AC30 set with a telecaster tone, and US Clean with a Strat instead of having to switch up guitars or push/pull + switch pickups on my ESP.

5. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

While you can, the challenge is you only have one slot so now you've lost your cab IR.

LordByron and Bentayuk like this.
  6. Bentayuk

Damn, that’s what I was thinking.

7. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

I would also think you'd rather have the guitar IR in front of the amp rather than post amp

Bentayuk and Sascha Franck like this.
  8. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

So allowing more than one IR and being able to place them before and after the amp sounds like a feature request ;).

Isn't there a tool somewhere that combines IRs?

Bentayuk likes this.
  9. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

I doubt there is sufficient processing for two IRs. If you want to try to make a combined guitr/can IR, should make sure they're in series, not parallel.

10. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

And while that'd be possible, as you said yourself already, it'd make pretty much zero sense to run that combined IR in whatever position in the signal chain.

11. Vetseun

Vetseun Member

Hi, Apologies if this is a silly question, but I've not been able to find a definitive answer online... is the D-Luxe model based of a tweed Deluxe (5e3) or a Deluxe Reverb? I'm assuming tweed as the blackface sound would probably be covered by the twin and bassman models?

12. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

It sounds Blackface to me. The Bassman is Tweed all the way to my ear. All three sound quite different.

Vetseun, LordByron and TelePrankster like this.
  13. Bentayuk

I had a great jam with the Helix LT today and the tones and editing options really are amazing.

THEN I played my AFB, and it brought a smile to my face with the first chord hit. To each their own on what we hear, but I think I won’t be renewing my Helix rental.

The Archon amp model on the Helix is freakin awesome, and maybe worth the unit alone. BUT honestly, I reckon I can get close enough with the AFB 5150 + the right IR.

14. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Silver Supporting Member

That has been exactly my experience as well. Every time I play with my Helix and think that I've hit upon a good sound, I play my Amplifirebox and realize what I was missing from the Helix's tone. There's just so much more body to the sound coming from the Amplifire than from the Helix. It's like there's a giant section of the midrange that was sucked away from the signal in the Helix when you compare the two.

Dead-Pan and NamaEnsou like this.
  15. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I don't know i find it pretty easy to get midrange punch on Helix, the path is pretty much tube screamer---Archon--212interstate cabs one 57 one 421 post eq hi/lo cut
    cabs are on seperate paths, the 57' mic is pulled back a bit more from the cab and reflections are about 18% ,there is a ton of punch at whisper volumes, ill try to post a quick riff in garage band this week

LordByron likes this.
  16. Bentayuk

Like I said, I don't find either lacking. Both units tones are worth their weight. There are other external factors that are affecting my decision too. The size of the Helix LT (I don't find it small at all), I don't need all the routing options, I don't use the foot pedal, I also don't really need 8 presets at my feet.

On the other hand, the colour screen on the Helix is awesome, the incredibly simple editing is the best I've seen, the range of tones is definitely better than the AFB.

But lets face it, all I'm talking about now is the fact that the Helix is a pedalboard, and the AFB is a stompbox. This is a big part of how they are marketed too. It all comes down to what the individuals needs are.

LordByron likes this.
  17. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I agree 100% an I really think that the AFB is a game changer , at its size ,portability and tone plus presets , delays etc .Its an amazing product and should get the award for 2017 modelling most bang for your buck IMO

18. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

I consider myself pretty lucky starting my "modeling journey" with this unit. I've never into these things and it's very fun.

19. Bentayuk

That's really what I meant when I said it brought a smile to my face. Up until then I was thinking "man, I've had a great jam with this Helix, and I think I should really keep it around".
    Then I plugged into the AFB and was reminded how just how innovative it really is.
    Given is size, look and functionally, there's almost a predisposed idea that it's sound quality will be diminished in contrast to the Helix or Axe Fx.
    This could not be any farther from the truth, and I actually think having the Helix around is a hindrance to me getting the most out of the AFB.

20. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Gotta go with what works for you. Amplifire is a great-sounding platform.

LordByron likes this.